Book Review Guidelines Updated March 5, 2016
Launched in 1998, AALBC.com is the most popular and frequently visited website dedicated to books by and about people of African descent. AALBC.com is also a premier source of reviews of these books.
All Books Submitted for Review Should:
- Be written in English.
- Not require highly technical or specialized knowledge.
- Be a bound, finished book or galley (please no manuscripts)
- Have an ISBN
All AALBC.com commissioned reviews benefit from the following:
- Reviews are permanently published on the AALBC.com web site (see list of reviewed books)
- Reviews are linked on the AALBC.com homepagThere are two ways your book may be reviewed by AALBC.com:e for at least a month
- Reviews are highlighted in our monthly newsletter (see current newsletter) which reaches over 11,000 subscribers
- Reviews, at AALBC.com’s discretion, are considered for inclusion on our social media platforms including; Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace. We love to share the news about book that received favorable reviews.
An AALBC.com review is one of the best ways to inform the on-line, book loving, community about your book.
There are two ways your book may be reviewed by AALBC.com:
Whether you submit your book for review consideration or take advantage of our commissioned book review, you can expect the same quality book review.
Commissioned Book Review ($299.00 fee) (completed in 6 weeks or less)
All authors whose books are reviewed will be provided with a complimentary AALBC.com Author’s Profile.To have your book reviewed by AALBC.com please follow the two steps below:
1 - Submit Payment
Payment submitted via PayPal (Preferred)or
Mail Money Order or Certified Check for $299 payable to AALBC.com (Personal checks will not be cashed or returned)
2 - Submit the Book to be Reviewed
- If your book is available for purchase online, provide us with a link or the book's ISBN. We will purchase the book and ship it directly to reviewer.
- If your book is unavailable via any online source, you will need to mail it to AALBC.com with your PayPal receipt information or a payment (described above in step #1) to:
- Send us the Netgalley.com link (publishers)
1325 5th Ave. Suite 2K
New York, NY 10029
Books sent to us via mail for a commissioned book review will not be returned.
Submitted for Review Consideration (no fee) (review is not guaranteed)
In addition to the guidelines mentioned above, you should consider the following when submitting your book for review consideration:
- If your book is chosen to be reviewed you will recieve a complimentary AALBC.com Author’s Profile
- We review self-published books
- Preference is given to books prior to release date or no more than 1 year past publication date
- Share your book´s information as described below
- Please do not mail books to us unless we request that you do so.
- If we request your book, it is very likely we will review it. However we will not guarantee it.
- There is no deadline for the publication of your review. We will, however, try to adhere to a 6 week time frame.
To Have Your Book Considered for Review:
Please share information about your book on our African American Literature Discussion Forum. Please include your name, the author´s name, the book´s title, ISBN13, publication date, book cover image and synopsis. Also state that you are interested in a book review. This is the fastest way to notify us about your desire for a review and has the added benefit of informing our readers about your book.
If a decision is made to review the book, we will follow up on the forum with instructions. Keep in mind we receive many requests for book reviews, and can only accommodate a small percentage of requests. We are no longer accepting requests, for book reviews, via email.
What You Can Expect From an AALBC.com Book Review
AALBC.com does not guarantee a favorable review
We hope our reviewer will absolutely love your book; however there is no guarantee. You are guaranteed an unbiased and honest review of your book, written in a style that readers has come to except from the particular reviewer.
How long does it take for a book review to be published on AALBC.com?
Your book review will be published on the AALBC.com web site within 6 weeks from the date the books and payment are received.
How long does the book review remain on the AALBC.com web site?
Book reviews will remain on the web site for the life of AALBC.com or until you choose to have the book review removed.
AALBC.com reserves the right to decline to review any book submitted for review.
There are not many reasons for declining to review a book. If the book review is declined, and it is a commissioned review, both the payment and book will be returned.
The book will be reviewed by one of the AALBC.com Reviewers
Visit http://reviews.aalbc.com/aalbc1.htm for a current list of reviews. Publishers and authors may suggest, but can not chose, which AALBC.com reviewer will review their book.
AALBC.com reviewers will read the entire book (probably more than once).
AALBC.com reviews will have the follow characteristics:
500 words minimum length
A critical analyses not just a description of the book
The degree to which the reviewer likes or dislikes a book will be stated clearly
Positive and negative points will be highlighted when possible
The AALBC.com reviewer chosen to review the book will not have more than an a casual relationship with the book's author.
The intent here is to avoid any undue appearance bias.
AALBC.com reviews are written with the book buying public in mind.
AALBC.com reviews are not scholarly dissertations. The reviews are written for the general public..
AALBC.com will not rewrite a review.
We will acknowledge and correct factual errors, but we will not rewrite a published review.
AALBC.com reviewers are under no obligation to respond to feedback from the author regarding a published review.
Remember all reviews are subjective, based solely upon the opinion of an individual reviewer.
AALBC.com reviewers are all well read, experienced book reviewers, passionate about our literature, and most importantly committed to providing their honest assessment of an author's work.
If AALBC.com reviews my book unfavorably may I opt-out of having it published on AALBC.com?
Yes. If the book review was commissioned (fee based), you may opt-out of having your book review published on AALBC.com. You may of course use excerpts from the review as you deem appropriate.
Who owns the AALBC.com Book Review?
AALBC.com retains copyright of all reviews. Purchasers of commissioned book reviews are free to excerpt and republish their book reviews at will and in any format. Credit should be given to AALBC.com, with a link back to AALBC.com when the review is published anywhere other than AALBC.com.
AALBC.com does not return books mailed to us for review
AALBC.com's Manuscript Editing Service
We will critique your manuscript or completed book for problems in plot, character development, dialogue, pace, and theme.
Get an AALBC.com Author Profile
Even if you have your own website an Author Profile Page is a great idea.
Should Book Review Should Be a Fee Based Service (an article and discussion from 2004)
“This product is intended mainly for small publishing houses, which often do not have the marketing heft to attract the attention of reviewers at mainstream publications.”
Other ways to share information about your book on AALBC.com
- Post your book's information on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/aalbcfanpage
- Introduce yourself and book on our popular discussion board: http://aalbc.com/tc
Other Sources for Book Reviews: Visit http://aalbc.com/otherwebsites.htm for a list of potential sources of reviews