Re-electing President Obama Trumps Black Resistance to Same Sex Marriage

Re-electing President Obama Trumps Black Resistance to Same Sex Marriage

Cleo Manago, CEO and founder of the Black Men’s Xchange (BMX)

"For the last few weeks since President Obama became the first sitting president to endorse same-sex marriage, pundits have been obsessed with what this support will mean for this year’s election. Specifically, will Obama’s rock-solid support in the black community waiver?

Of course, this obsession is predicated on the false belief by nearly everyone in the media that African Americans are somehow more homophobic than other ethnic groups. However, how exactly African Americans feel about homosexuality and why has rarely been investigated." Read the full article

The author of the article makes a statement I don't understand,

"African Americans have always been socially conservative and politically progressive."

It is not clear to me how one can be socially conservative and politically progressive. If one is politically progressive, they would support for marriage equality for same sex couples while a social conservative would fight again it.

The Black Clergy's reaction to Obama's stance of homosexuality is a religious one, not really open for discussion -- unless of course you want to change the religion; which is in a constant state of flux to remain relevant as society changes, scientific discoveries are made, and people become more educated and free.

Personally I believe Obama's presidency has demonstrated that, yes a Black man can now become president; but more importantly we now can see quite plainly that it really does not matter who is in the White House -- the interests of the rich and powerful dominate.

And they dominate not just at the expense of Black people (thought we are hurt the most), they dominate and the expense of all American's.

Sure Obama's stance of gay marriage, and the state of the economy will chase some white voters into the arms of Romney. I suspect many Black voters will stay at home insufficiently motivated to cast a vote. Will folks do this in sufficient numbers to avert a Romney will? I thought it would as soon I saw Obama in action, but time will of course tell.

Again, it does not look good for an Obama reelection, but it looks far worse for the American people...

The author of the article makes a statement I don't understand,

"African Americans have always been socially conservative and politically progressive."

It is not clear to me how one can be socially conservative and politically progressive. If one is politically progressive, they would support for marriage equality for same sex couples while a social conservative would fight again it.

Well, Troy, the black church has always been in the vanguard of the civil rights movement which was politically progressive but focused primarily on breaking down racial barriers. When it comes to society at large, however, the broad black religious community is very connected to the dogma of Baptist and Pentacostal and Evangelical denominations all which are bible thumpers, who take much of the scriptures literally and this includes the verse referring to homosexuality as an "abomination". So black folks as usual are shackled by their double identity.

I've always found it ironic how Black people with their history of slavery have been so faithful and dedicated to religions predicated on commandments that never condemned slavery, or rape. For 400 years they waited for sweet Jesus to free them from their bondage, attributing all of their woes to God's will. Even today these descendants of Ham are looking for a savior to deliver them. But heaven help him if he turned out to approve same sex marriage.. ;)

• Like 1

Cynique some of us are behaving as if the Savior has indeed arrived in Obama. In some quarters, I'd rather come out a gay man, than "come out" as someone critical of Obama.

I think the Obama presidency will serve as a tipping point in the American psyche which demonstrates that the government is indeed controlled the wealthy and powerful, and that something very fundamental needs to change.

The only reason Obama got in was because he convinced enough white folks he was about hope and change. That message will not resonate with poor and middle class white folks any more.

Troy said:

"The only reason Obama got in was because he convinced enough white folks he was about hope and change"

Oh and let us not forget that Sarah Palin was a real game changer for that election, too. Obama should be calling McCain every day of his term thanking him for putting Sarah Palin on the republican ticket because she decreased McCain's chances severely.

Waterstar, keep in mind A LOT of people really liked Palin. While she did not resonate in the Black or liberal white communities on the coasts she is revered by a great many people. I assumed this is way the Republicans picked her.

I guess they figured they got away by getting Bush in the White House -- they figured they could slip the likes of a Palin into the do nothing role as Vice President, and benefit from having the first woman on the ticket to balance Obama first Black presidential candidacy.

Little did the Republicans know the media would hold a female VP candidate under much more scrutiny than they would a Black Presidential candidate.

(I'm going to check this whole article out soon.)

That's true, Troy. A lot of people did and still do like her. This is precisely why McCain put her on the VP ticket. He needed to solidify support. However, his strategic move backfired. Many republicans felt that she was giving their party a bad name. lol Heck even a lot of democrats and independents felt that Palin was giving the republican party a bad name. lol

Remember also that Hillary Clinton was doing well in her presidential campaign. While it is realistic to say that many males were perhaps more resistant to a caucasian female president than to a black male president, it is also realistic to suggest that Hilary Clinton's doings provided the greatest source of her undoing. She and her husband,showed that they was not so out of touch with their inner redneck as many people (especially black) had thought. Hillary Clinton's had the support of the LGBT community that Obama is trying hard for now. Clinton already had that for sure. Also, Clinton had the support of many black people who never learned that Bill Clinton was playing them like his saxophone. (We are so easily hoodwinked.) Even the democratic 'black vote' was split greatly between Obama and Clinton.

Hillary Clinton was endorsed by many African Americans with great influence in the black community because they had been in the pockets of her family or had received favors (or even pats on the head) from her her husband. Many people who ended up voting for Obama really did so only because Hillary Clinton was no longer running for president. It was great strategically for Obama to to include her in his camp, because while many people did not support Obama, they supported Clinton (lol or should I say "The Clintons"...)

You know, I think that if Clinton were in the race this time, Obama would have an even harder time this time around with her last time than he did before.

"Inner redneck"? Come on, Waterstar, HiIlary Clinton was born in Park Ridge, Illinois, to a white protestant middleclass Republican family. :lol: Her politics became more liberal during her college years.

The Clintons did hold a special place in the affections of black people but I question whether they wielded any influence over Blacks when it came to their voting for Obama. Blacks weren't that gullible. The only white couple who figured into the decision of reluctant Blacks to support Obama were - John McCain and Sarah Palin!

And there are political pundits who think replacing Joe Biden with Hillary Clinton would improve Obama's chances of winning this time around because she has done a good job as secretary of state and she would appeal to Independent women voters who are pissed off with the Republican "war on women".

Hillary did on fact have the support of virtually every Black politician here in Harlem even the great Charley Rangel head of the influential Ways and Means committee was behind Hillary. It is obvious the support was in return for past favors and future favors which could be parlayed into more money and power for the politicians involved. I'm inclined have to agree with Waterstar on the "African Americans with great influence in the black community" part.

Waterstar the Black masses however were "all in" with regard to Obama, still are, for the most part, but the energy level is nothing compared with 4 years ago. At the end of the day team Obama KNOW they got the Black vote locked up: 99% of Black people will either vote for Obama or not vote at all.

This is why Obama has no problem endorsing gay marriage and the risking the ire of Christian Black voters. Again the Black vote is sewn up so why not lock in the gay vote too.

Little did the Republicans know the media would hold a female VP candidate under much more scrutiny than they would a Black Presidential candidate.

Palin was a relative unknown. With the initial basic VP scrutiny she did poorly and that earned her additional scrutiny (piling on). It snowballed on her. Weakened, and in defense of her poor performances, all she could do was take the right's arguments of blaming the media. She does not deserve sympathy for any of this.

Troy, I also believe that many African Americans who supported Obama the last time will either vote for him or not vote at all...unless a new politician springs up that can convince them that ""Yes we really can THIS time...forreal..."

"Inner redneck"? Come on, Waterstar, HiIlary Clinton was born in Park Ridge, Illinois, to a white protestant middleclass Republican family. :lol: Her politics became more liberal during her college years.

The Clintons did hold a special place in the affections of black people but I question whether they wielded any influence over Blacks when it came to their voting for Obama. Blacks weren't that gullible. The only white couple who figured into the decision of reluctant Blacks to support Obama were - John McCain and Sarah Palin!

And there are political pundits who think replacing Joe Biden with Hillary Clinton would improve Obama's chances of winning this time around because she has done a good job as secretary of state and she would appeal to Independent women voters who are pissed off with the Republican "war on women".

Oh you know da spirit of redneckishness is no respecter of class or political group. :D And you know you saw ol liberal Bill Clinton turn as red as a beet when he apparently thought Obama was getting too "uppity". " Now yew just hold on der, Boy!!" was all over his face. Hillary was just about to show Obama that she could win the pissing contest hands down. This is kinda interesting, funny and, for the most part, real talk: