What is the most important thing for you?

Where is the question? Oh. In the title of the post?  ;)  

Not surprsing, the answer to the question was elusive for me. I really wish I could wrap my mind around the mystery and meaning of life but pondering this provides me with something to occupy my mind when I'm bored. I've given up on reforming the world by making it a more humane place where peace and prosperity and racial justice will prevail. I leave the concern about the importance of this to others, including the religious gang waiting for Jesus to return. As for the obvious possibilities, at my age, I'm just grateful to wake up in the morning in a comfortable environment that includes adequate food and engaging passtimes. Money would make my life more affluent but I am wary about the whole new set of problems it could generate.  I confess, however,  to buying lottery tickets with multi-million dollar payoffs.

After much soul searching, I narrowed it down to something very personal and what I've decided is important to me is to make amends for an indifferent family circle that had me as a role model.   I consider it most important that my 3 sons and 2 daughters become less distant from each other in favor of forming a close bond of loving siblings who will look out for each other as they grow older.  I learned the value of this too late with my own brother and 2 sisters who died never knowing how much I appreciated their admirable qualities; something I'll always regret.

What is the most important thing for you, Delano?

• Like 1

Well Del next time you get to a PC, please take the time to elaborate on what you mean.  It sounds rather misanthropic, but you never struck me as one., so I know I'm misinterpreting what you wrote.

Whenever older people, who have much more life behind them than ahead, describe what they find most important in life, I'm all ears.

The thing about siblings from my much less experienced life, is that they are truly individuals.  I only have two children and my experience tells me that if they come out liking each other that is the result of the luck of the draw.  Siblings seemingly have as much a likelihood of liking each other as two complete strangers.  Of course we all have friends that we like more than our own family.

This is not a bad thing, but the virtually infinite combination of genes, create such a wide variety of personalities, I can't image producing 5 children and having them all get along, and support each other, throughout their lives.  There is always a Black sheep or two or three...

The most important thing to me is freedom.  But freedom is hard though.  We have to fight to maintain it.  When you do have it your actions result in with consequences, which may not always be desired.  

You also need freedom to not just acquire knowledge, but to produce knowledge.

Why is my post misanthropic. I think freedom is subordinate to knowledge, and you think the opposite. I initially was going to say you have it backwards. Troy you are an Aries which is Mars by Day. I am a Scorpio which is Mars by night. I feel freedom and knowledge we linked in a way that day and night are linked. So to say nightime is better is silly. I am more active at night you are more active in the day. You are yang I am yin. You are Morpheus who is certain. I am Neo who is never really sure what is happening.

Del it appeared that you put community subordinate, indeed everything to your own knowledge.

You can't have knowledge without freedom.  When you want cripple a person what is the first thing that you take away? You take away their access to knowledge.  The enslaved African was forbidden to read, and governments burn books and deny internet access, to keep people in the dark.  Governments also put out propaganda to misinform people.  It is why the government has little interest in educating poor people.

Even though Neo who was "the one"  he would have never have been freed, nor would he have been able to help anyone else, without the knowledge that Morpheus provided.

Knowledge is power and freedom ain't free. You  do need to be free to acquire knowledge.  In order to defeat anyone who denies you the freedom to gain knowledge, you need strength which can involve the wherewithal to commit violence.  I think this might've been the mindset of the cave man who took up a club to confront his enemy. The first thing Man learned was that you have to fight for your freedom. And the rest is history... 

I chose my children bonding and looking out for each other as what is most important to me, because of what I noticed in other families, where "blood being thicker than water"  was seemingly their motto.  Siblings had each other's backs and stood by one another when push came to shove.  To me, that is the ultimate in loyalty and is what family is all about.  However, if I were to make a second choice in regard to what I considered the most important thing to me, in all honesty I would say money because I could provide for my family and would not have to be worried about them looking out for each other, and there are other charitable philanthropic things that I could bring about if I had the money to do so.  

• Like 1

Yeah the blood is thicker than water is important and it should be--if you can't depend upon support from your family who can you depend upon.  But this responsibility between family natural does not come naturally.  It has to be instilled into the individuals from an early age.  Unfortunately, our culture undermines this in so many ways.

Perhaps understanding is a better term. Without it you aren't fully activated. I think Psychologist Abraham Maslow talked about th hierarchy of needs. Food and shelter were he most important and self actualisation or realisation was at the top. Having lots of money and not knowing how to use it is disastrous. Having a notion of community that is at odds with your community is equally problematic. Having a power and not knowing how to use it is more dangerous to others. While not having is more detrimental to yourself and the people you interact.

• Like 1