Mental excercise. agree wirh the Opposing viewpoint

People have allowed man to distract them from the Truth.  They have been confused by technology, science, and other false ideas devised by man who is completely unable to fathom the Truth.  Indeed, these men are really devils, interested in their arrogant self-importance.  The Truth is God has all the answers and all you need it faith.

I say: motherhood should not be forced upon women.   If they have an unwanted pregnancy, they should have the choice to terminate it because they have complete domain over their bodies and have no one to anwer to but themselves. God does not figure into the equation.  An embryo in the first trimester of pregnancy is not viable and is not a minature baby waiting to grow into a full-sized one.  It is an organism that contains the blueprint to develop into a fetus that will not become a person until it draws its first breath at which time the soul enters the body of a newborn.

Others say:Women should use protection if they don't want to have a baby.  Life begins at conception and abortion is murder because it is killing something that is a potential human being. In the eyes of God, abortion in a sin. Anyone who performs one and or has one is a sinner because this practice is against religious teachings.  A woman who becomes pregnant through rape or incest should have the baby and give it up for adoption if she doesn't want to raise it.  If a woman has an ectopic pregnancy, then it's OK to terminate the embryo that has accidentally migrated from the womb into one of the fallopian tubes because if it is allowed to remain there and grow, it will cause a rupture that will be fatal to the woman. God will understand because he knows best.      

• Like 1

If you look at or even better follow a fundamentalist position. Life becomes easier on so many levels. You have a stable nuclear family; no std; no violence in schools; a more balanced global economy and a return to respect and courtesy. There would also be less crimes since man would love his fellow man. There would be no gender role confusion since every role is laid out by God's ordinance. The only problem is man's arrogance. Which is the first sin.

• Like 2

In a post on the Thumper's Corner forum I had this to say about religion:  "People just can't cope without a belief that provides them with something to have faith in. They need myths to supply the context for a paternal figure who they can look to and lean on, an all poweful omniscient being who understands their troubles and answers their prayers, - if he sees fit to do so. They need commandments to protect them from themselves and a devil to blame sinful things on. The question could really be posed did God create Man or did Men create God because they couldn't wrap their minds around the idea that - life just is. Over the centuries, religion has become a habit easy to fall into, a tradition that promotes fellowship, an addiction that produces a high, a sanctuary for hypocrisy."

Another view: Religion, rather than unites, divides.  It is at the core of most of the conflict in the world. Even within the 5 major religions are sects  at odds with each other. Impicit in all religious doctrines is the idea that what we believe is right and what everybody else believes is wrong.  Each one thinks it has a monopoly on God and seeks to be his spokeman, claiming to be inspired by the almighty force of nature which they have personified  into a wrathful old man who is "on their side".  Christians elevated a Jew to divine status, making him over in their Anglo Saxon image. Thanks to the hype of his disciples who, in their accounts written 30y ears after Jesus' death,  proclaimed him to be the son of god, born of a virgin, a Jesus-based religion was embraced by pagans because his contrived "resume" was the same as the heroes of their mythology.  

What gives religion the potential to be dangerous is that it is a form of mind control that instills a fear that allows its leaders to control their flocks - the "sheeple" who blindly follow them.  Corruption and greed are rampant in the hierarchy of all religions, especially Catholicism.  Black people have been conditioned since slavery to adore and place all their hope in a savior who will reward their loyalty in the hereafter, while mired in woe here on earth. Just uttering the name Jesus fills them with ecstasy and neutralizes their need to question. Catholcisim, with all of its rituals and elaborate pageantry along with the incorporation of a mother figure into the dogma, mesmerizes its guillible followers.  

The bible is a manual that has been revised and edited, incoporating myths and legends into its parables, while leaving out gospels that don't comply with free thought. The Roman Emperor Constantine oversaw all of this at the Council of Ghent, realizing that religion was a way to control the masses. A lot has been lost in biblical translations, and verses have been skewed to support bias and prejudices that are an abomination to the Golden Rule. The King James version of the bible is a blatant example of this.

The Jesus figure has endured because he espoused an idea whose time had come. He was a mystic, at the right place at the right time, but men have made a mockery of his message in regard to justice, equality, love, forgivenance, and redemption because they worship power and money.

Isn't that what I basically said in the first paragraph of my post, Delano? The masses need religion because it provides them with a comfort zone.  Leaders need religion because it provides them with a way to control the masses. 

Technology can take on a life of its own and has the potential to control humanity. Like religion, technology inspires worship.  People adore their computerized devices.  Bill  Gates is like a god; the late Steve Jobs like a martyr.  Facebook is like a living bible, full of personal gospels and beliefs and idols and sin.    

• Like 1

That is true Cynique, I was in love with technology, until it occurred to me the only real purpose behind technology is to drive us to consume more.

Why do we have to replace smart phones every year or two?  Are the new ones really worth the expense?  Am I better off?

I had a 19" Sony TV that worked for 20 years before I gave it away.  Since then I've purchased 5 more TV continuously upgrading them until I stopped 6 years ago with a then state of the art 60" screen.  I refuse to buy another TV.  I don't care if it displays virtual reality and read my mind.

I've had a record player for 30 years too, it still works and is in a garage somewhere.  Since then I've purchased countless CD players, cassette players, and MP3 players.  I'm done. I'm not buying any more devices that play music, I'm not migrating anything to the "cloud".  I tired of spending money!

The technology God is greedy, insatiable, and will not stop until you have no more money or are dead--indeed the tech god is working you getting money out of you even after you are dead..

I guess the technology god is this is not unlike the greedy preachers in the pulpit. Perhaps they are both products of their times.