RIOTS , BALTIMORE, CHAOS.

ON THE NEWS,   AFTER FREDDIE GRAY'S FUNERAL,  PROTESTING   BECOMES  RIOTS, LOOTING/FREDDIE  GRAY'S FAMILY  WANTING  NO  PROTESTING  TODAY,,NO  RESPECT   FOR THE FAMILY....THE  IDIOTS   DOING  THE  LOOTING,   NOT  BECAUSE  OF FREDDIE  GRAY,  BEING  MURDERED  BY  SPAWNS  OF HITLER,WHITE  POLICE..LIKE I  HAVE  SAID  WHITE POLICE WERE  FIRED  LAST  YEAR  FOR BEING  KU KLUX KLAN MEMBERS IN FLORIDA,  FIRED KLAN POLICE  SAID  MORE  WHITE   POLICE  ARE  KLAN MEMBERS///THE  STREET GANGS  PLAN TO  ATTACK  POLICE..BLACK  STREET  GANGS   WITH KILLINGS,    OF BLACK PEOPLE   ARE  BLACK SKIN  NEO NAZI,,THEY  KILL BLACK PEOPLE  AND THEY  ARE ANGRY  BECAUSE    THE  SPAWNS   OF  SATAN  KILLED  A BLACK MAN///PASTOR JAMAL BRYANT    IN  BALTIMORE  STREETS,TRYING TO GET  PEACE/ AFTER  THE FUNERAL  TODAY,  PASTOR BRYANT  WANTED  A PEACEFUL  NON VIOLENT MARCH    TOMORROW,I THINK,.DO NOT  DOUBT  WHITE  POLICE  ARE  INVOLVED  WITH  NEO  NAZI, KKK,   ARYAN   NATION     GROUPS.BLACK POLICE,,WHITE   POLICE  ARE RACIST    SOMETIME  THEY  KNOW//BALTIMORE   MAYOR  IS BLACK,   POLICE  COMMISSIONER  IS  BLACK,,   MANY  POLICE ARE  BLACK,  SEE WHAT  HAPPENS,,WHILE  I  WATCHED THE  NEWS  ,  WAS  LISTENING  TO  TEMPTATIONS,SONG, BALL OF  CONFUSION/FEAR IN THE  AIR,  TENSION EVERYWHERE,EVE OF DESTRUCTION,  THOSE  LYRICS..CHAOS////LOOTERS  DESTROYING  OWN NEIGHBORHOODS//////

Maybe 50 years ago this would have meant more.

But in 2015, with drone technology, anyone can be taken out at anytime--and we wouldn't even know what hit us..  

We also know Negroes are out numbered and out gunned.  Many of the Brothers who already "changed their minds" are incarcerated or pushing up daisies.

Besides changing our mind is against our religion:

"Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;" --Colossians 3:12 (king James Version)

Well, Troy. I think telling the Establishment to beware the day Negroes change their minds is a caveat relative to what's playing out in Baltimore where militant demonstrators are filling the streets and looters are wreaking havoc, a situation that has spurred the mayor to ask the governor to call out the National Guard.  Angry black folks may not overthrow the government but they no longer suffer in silence when they feel abused.   

No, Black folks will never over throw the government.

But this current iteration of civil unrest, like all the others in the last 1/2 century, seems to be focused on destroying our own neighborhoods.  I don't really know how much more counter productive we can be.

I think Hughes' warning was directed at white folks. White folks who took the suffering of Black folks for granted, and who should not be surprised when our anger is directed at them directly, their neighborhoods, their businesses, their people.

Seriously, as far as I can tell White folks attention would be better spent worrying about what they are doing to each other, than concerning themselves with some angry Black folks might do.

This Hughes meme is more wishful thinking than a portent of the future.

What Hughes predicted in this meme was a forerunner to the civil rights movement, and it was, indeed, directed at white people, and this prediction came to pass when fed-up, angry black people abandoned their submissiveness and did, and continue to this day, to angrily demonstrate against racism when blatantly provoked.  It was a simple omen from a poetic oracle.  

I not disputing when the poem was put to paper it may have been true.  But in 2015 it does not carry the same gravity.  Now if the word Negro was replaced by "Poor People" (of all colors), then I'd say it would be more applicable today.

WARNING!
Negroes,
Sweet and docile,
Meek, humble and kind:
Beware the day
They change their mind!
Wind
In the cotton fields,
Gentle Breeze:
Beware the hour
It uproots trees!

Del, your Aussie compatriots are not alone, Americans are asking the same question.  

I'm not surprised it is making news in Australia, it is the same 'news' everywhere in the western world. Have the Australians completely exterminated the Aboriginal people yet?

We have to agree to disagree. I  consider this poem very timely because nothing has changed! In the year 2015, the nation is in an uproar as angry "negroes" demonstrate in Baltimore and spark protests in other cities.  As Delano informs, even Australia is shocked.  For the first time in history a major league baseball game has been played in an empty stadium, closed to the public because of concerns about safety. The National Guard has been called out and Baltimore is on lock down.  The protests are the lead story on all the network TV news shows and the controversy is all over the Internet and social media.  The President has spoken out and political candidates are weighing in.  IMO, this event does impact as much as it did 50 years ago because it proves that down through the generations, little has changed since Hughes' metaphorical warning.    

You were an adult 50 years ago Cynique, I was still learning to speak, so I bend to your wisdom.

But by all accounts, from what I've heard and read, what is happening in Baltimore today is like a walk in the park compared to the riot in the '68. Entire neighborhoods were destroyed, police were shot it at, people died. 50 years later some of these places have yet to recover.  The devastation was far worse that what we've seen in 2015.

The biggest story coming out of Baltimore today seems to be the one about the mother going upside her teenage son's head.

We also have Black people running things, the Mayor is a sister and 30 minutes down the road, another sister, Loretta Lynch is attorney general reporting to a Black President. Black people make up a substantial percentage--if not most of Baltimore's police force, the police commission is Black.  Can you see why the fight today is so very different, from 50 years ago. 

200px-Baltimore_Police_Arrest.jpg

Of course I often talk about and fight for Black people, but that is a tactic I'm forced to employ to deal with very serious problems we face.  But our problems are a symptom of a much more profound root cause; greedy rich people who will rape the planet and everyone on it for even more wealth.  

This was true in Hughes day.

As far as Australia (which is 90% white) being shocked, that former penal colony better not say anything.

...and Clinton apologized for enslaving Black people.  Do you think these apologies make a difference?  

Australia, more progressive... compared to what, the U.S.?  That is not exactly a high bar Del.  

I'm not so anxious to give Australia too much credit.  It is much easier to be progressive in a "racially" homogeneous environment.  I bet it would be an entirely different scene if the Aboriginal population were significant.  But we will never know, because they've been, effectively, exterminated like the North American indigenous peoples.

There are many great white neighborhoods in the U.S. with great schools; fine homes; terrific services; splendid businesses; friendly policeman, who are part of the community; low crime; beautiful houses of worship; shoot even the air quality is better.  

You'd be hard pressed to find many predominantly Black neighborhoods like this in the U.S., I'm sure Australia is no different.

If Black people move into what some call "whitelandnia," white folks move, property values drop, voting districts are redrawn, services decline, crime increases, and ghetto emerge.