Orson Welles, Civil Rights Activist: Affidavit of Isaac Woodard

Who knew Orson Welles was a civil rights activist.  

Isaac Woodard, Jr., often written just Isaac Woodard, (March 18, 1919 – September 23, 1992) was an African American World War II veteran who was attacked by South Carolina police in 1946, while still in uniform, hours after being honorably discharged from the United States Army. His attack and injuries sparked national outrage and galvanized the civil rights movement in the United States.

The attack by South Carolina police left Woodard completely and permanently blind. Due to South Carolina's reluctance to pursue the case, President Harry S. Truman ordered a federal investigation. The sheriff was indicted and went to trial in federal court in South Carolina, where he was acquitted by an all-white jury.

Beginning shortly after this in 1946, President Harry S. Truman embarked on several major civil rights initiatives: he established a national interracial commission, made a historic speech to the NAACP and the nation in June 1947 describing civil rights as a moral priority, submitted a civil rights bill to Congress in February 1948, and issued Executive Orders 9981 and 9980 on the same day to desegregate the armed forces and the federal government. (from wikipedia)

Orson Wells was always ahead of his time. He was a true Renaissance Man and a liberal thinker so I'm not surprised by this sililoquy.  He was rumored to have had a hot affair with black actress Eartha Kitt back in the 50s. 

Harry Truman has never been given enough credit for realizing that the time had come to break down racial barriers and that something had to be done about this.  He was Franklin D. Roosevel's vice president and when FDR died, black folks were very leery of Truman.  Roosevelt ran for office and, before there were term limits,  was elected 4 times by promising a New Deal. He came into office the year I was born and for the first 13 years of my life, he was the only president I knew. (He was like a king to us. ) Truman finished out FDR's term when he died in office. And when Truman ran on his own, his campaign slogan promised A Fair Deal.  He did OK.

• Like 2