Condoleezza Rice Kills It During Commencement Address

Condi spoke at my kid's graduation on Saturday.  It was as good, if not a better, than the speech Steve Jobs gave that everyone was creaming their pants over.  

Rice is an amazingly accomplished woman.  It is astonishing that Black people dislike her.  She is often brandished as a war hawk, even disparged as Bush's mistress.  

Barack Obama is no less a war hawk and is worshipped (literarlly) by most Black folks.  The idea that Black folks are not talking about TPP boggles the mind.  But I digress...

On a related note, on my way to my kid's graduation, in VA, I passed at huge conderate flag blowing in the win, easily visible from I95 near mile marker 134 in VA.  It I'll be passing that way this afternoon.  I'll try to get a photo.

The location of flag appeared to be in or near Spotsylvania, VA the site oif a Civl War battle. The South will never forget.  Honestly I don't think they should, but they need to stop blaming Black folks for their troubles a recognize who is really jamming them up.

THIS IS THE SAME CONDOLEEZA RICE,   BLACK  REPUBLCAN  TEA   PARTY,CONDOLEEZA  RICE  THAT  HELPED    PRESIDENT  BUSH,  CHENEY,  RUMSFELD,  LIE  ABOUT   WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION  IN  IRAQ,,  TROOPS SENT  INTO  WAR//CONDOLEEZA RICE  BUYING  SHOES    WHILE  THE  HELL   TOOK PLACE  IN    NEW  ORLEANS,HURRICANE KATRINIA.../CONDOLEEZA  RICE  DOESNT  SHE  BELIEVE  THE  PRESIDENT   WAS  BORN IN  KENYA,   BIRTH  CERTIFICATE   FORGED,HE  IS THE  ANTI  CHRIST,  DR  BEN  CARSON SEEMS  TO BELIEVE IT,  DOES SHE/////

• Like 1

Black women have never completely written Condoleeza off. We were willing to give credit where credit was due, and appreciated that she wielded a certain amount power, even if we did think it was misguided.  It was always black men who berated and debased her during the Bush administration.  Could it be that they found her intimidating? 

• Like 1

I dunno Cynique I can't recall ever hearing a Black woman praise Condi Rice.  Sure Black men dog her, but I've never heard a Black women ever come to her defense.

Most of the reaction to Condi is along the lines of the hyperbolic, false, rhetoric Harry Brown posted above.  That is so damaging because people read that stuff and believe it because they are dumb I guess. Saying stuff like this serves no other purpose than to be inflammatory.

Condi is not a "birther", was not part of Fema, Homeland security or any department responsible for Katrina dealing with, and is not part of the tea party.  These are simply facts.  I don't believe Bush, Powell, or Condi lied about "weapons of mass destruction" (whatever that means).  Chenny is another story.

Condi is perhaps the most accomplished Black woman on planet Earth.  Now I don't measure success based upon the amount of praise given by mainstream media of by income, in which case all praises go to entertainers.  I'm just talking about pure accomplishments.

Has Condi ever been on the cover of Essence Magazine?  How many times has Beyonnce (sp?) been on the cover?  I'm sure their is no comparison

As a black woman, I acknowledged how accomplished Condi was because it was so obvious.   She may have inspired eye-rolling on the part of sistas but they never aggressively attacked her.  I remember modifying my disappointment with her Bush affiliation a few years back, when I read about what a big football fan she was, and that she'd once dated a black NFLer. 

Her name came up from time to time on this board back during its heyday, and I think Kola Boof defended her in her capacity as a feminist.  I'm sure she has appeared on the covers of both Ebony and Essence at least once.   I seem to also remember Oprah and Maya Angelou accepting her as a black sista. I wouldn't even be surprised if the NAACP had included her among honorees of the image awards at some point. She was, after all, Secretary of State, and they didn't penalize Colin Powell for his Bush taint.   

In time, Condoleeza Rice will take her place among distinguished black women because history tends to transcend political partisanship.  

• Like 1

Cynique I searched for instances of Condi on the cover of Essence and Ebony.  When searching Ebony's site directly I got one result, a search of Essence directly returned an error).   Needless to say, Beyonce was on the cover of these magazines a many times.

In a broader Internet search I could not find any instances of Condi on the cover or either magazine.  Cynique, I feel pretty confident in saying there is a high probability that she was never on a cover of neither magazine.  While this is shameful, it is not surprising given the nature of these magazines.

It we could take these magazines back 30 years I'd be willing to bet a Condi Rice would have graced a cover, or two.

I posted a similar message on Facebook, and Twitter, the only reaction I got in 24 hours was this;

"Rather gouge my eyes out with a fork than hear or see Condoleezza Rice for any reason whatsoever. Warmonger. Political lightweight,"

I'm sure the lack of reaction was due to the social media platforms showing the message to very few people, but this one negative reaction was from a man, so you may be right about men being more critical Cynique.

While searching for a cover of Condi, Google presented this fake (I assume) Playboy magazine cover image, very prominently, in search results.

This is what we get when we don't control anything and what little we do control is directed a making money. 

Condoleezza-Rice-on-Playboy-Magazine-648

OK.  I'm actually not that surprised that Essence wouldn't have her on its cover because it is a fluff magazine focusing on fashion and cosmetics and hair care and the glamorous world of entertainment.  But I would think that Ebony might at least have had an article about her, since it proports to be newsmagazine.

Not too long ago there was speculation about whether putting Condi on a Republican ticket as vice president would split the black and womens' vote.  I really think sistas would have mixed emotions about this; especially those who are disillusioned with the Democrats. 

This extraordinary woman is an example of the black dilemma.  If you follow all the rules and achieve success, you disrupt the agenda of black activism and become part of the problem instead of part of the solution.  To a certain extent, Obama is also a victim of this.

What is the solution to this? Damned if I know, and at this point in my journey, I find myself in the position of not really caring.  I'm just plodding along, shaking my head and very often laughing out loud.   

• Like 1

Needless to say, my posting of the Playboy cover image of Condi garnered more attention on social media in 60 minutes than the video I posted several days ago. I now understand this is also a function of what social media sites choses to show, and it is not just a function of what we want to see. 

Essence actually did interview Condi, at least once, but the interviewer came across as uninformed about Condi and her role as Secretary of State.  I have to believe Ebony covered Condi more than Essence, but given their inexcusably weak website, one is unable to make that determination.

They could have put Barack Obama on the Republican ticket and Sarah Palin on the democratic tickets and I assure you our people would have still voted Democrat, or not at all.  Nothing short of a substantial bribe would get negroes out to vote Republican in 2016.