Tyler Perry Scribe Acquires Film And TV Rights to Children’s Book

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

profilepr@gmail.com
770-294-8475

Tyler Perry Scribe Acquires Film And TV Rights to Children’s Book

ATLANTA- Former Tyler Perry’s House of Payne Head Writer, Brian Egeston recently acquired the worldwide TV and film rights to Acoustic Rooster and His Barnyard Band (Sleeping Bear Press). The NAACP Image Award nominated book was written by Kwame Alexander and illustrated by Tim Bowers.

“I’ve followed Kwame’s work for more than a decade as a poet, playwright, novelist and now as a children’s author,” said Egeston. “When I heard the rights to his book were available, I jumped on it.”

The book’s main character, Acoustic Rooster, hopes to win the Barnyard Talent Show, but first he needs a band. Turned away by other barnyard musicians such as, Mules Davis, Ella Finchgerald and Thelonius Monkey, he starts his own jazz band with Duck Ellington, Bee Holiday, and Poncho Ernesto Cruz.

“Kwame and I both are avid jazz fans and we have five-year olds in our respective homes, so we both live with our own focus group.”

Alexander is a two-time NAACP Image Award nominee and has authored fourteen books. “Kwame is always globetrotting with various programs encouraging kids to read and adults to write. This guy is passionate about the written word which was a major selling point for me,” Egeston added.

Egeston worked as a staff writer for Tyler Perry’s House of Payne in 2009 and then for Tyler Perry’s Meet The Browns. The following season he was promoted to Head Writer for House of Payne where he remained until the final season. Egeston is currently Head Writer for The Rickey Smiley TV Show. “I’ll implement some of the things I learned working at Tyler Perry Studios, which is to work hard, work efficiently and then work even harder,” noted Egeston.

Egeston will development the book into an animated series through his production company, Stuttering Rabbit Productions. He, along with Alexander, will co-write the pilot.

The deal, for an undisclosed amount, was negotiated by Shannon K. Nash of Nash Management Group. Alexander is represented by Deborah K. Warren of East West Literary Agency. Egeston is represented by Zac Simmons of The Kaplan Stahler Agency.

###

acoustic_rooster.jpg