The "Cut Man" Speaking Truth to Power

Great discussion. Right along the lines of what Amiri Baraka proclaimed a long time ago in regard to the GDP of Black folks and the lack of power we have with such a huge GDP. I actually had my students when I was teaching analyze it and write essays about this problem. These were high school students. If we don't have teachers teaching students how to think like this, then the wheel keeps rolling. Check out this essay: http://www.cbpublish.com/redefining-the-labyrinth-track-3/ and this one: http://www.cbpublish.com/redefining-the-labyrinth-track-13/

• Like 1

New York used to have much more programs like this on TV and the radio. 

Today this segment (the 2nd hour) has been relagated to the web.  Now this is not necessarily a bad thing, but virtually nothing is being done to promote the fact that this show is on the web?!

Sure they have social media presence, but we all know how good that serves us.  I also "get" the no one is gonna spend a dime to advertise the show.  But at some point, folks have to use what little they have to promote what is important.

Otherwise all the Black community is going to get on the radio is, top 20 R&B and a comediian with a laughing sidekick,

Chris, the articles by the high students are very intersting.  Are you still in the classroom? 

Also, I want to promote the book on the site--what happened to Lulu's affiliate program?  I can't find it on CJ.

RTL.png

I'm no longer in the classroom, which is unfortunate. I'm unsure about Lulu's affiliate program. I will look into that, but I'm not even sure that book is still available on Lulu. You need to go and look at that picture on the site from when I tried to tag your name. I'm disturbed about that.

Where is God in all of this?  Why does "He" allow ever faithful black folks to be the victims of all the injustices afflicted on them and then, adding insult to injury, rewards the white perpetrators by enabling their dominance?? Time and time again, we hear what a pillar the black church has been in the ongoing struggle for equality.  Unfortunately, black people are neutralized by religion, thinking prayer will change things and that right will overcome wrong and if it doesn't, well - then it's god's will, even as the preachers maintain their vaunted status.

In the Layman's arena, we have the voices in the wilderness, defining the problem, telling the have-nots what they should do to bring about the downfall of corporate America. But talk is cheap.  Black people are, after all, a part of a labor force that gains its livelihood by working for the giants of Industry. Entreating them to do what amounts to biting the hands that feed them creates a dilemma.  I applaud the good intentions of these earnest, dedicated people who warn and predict, while offering simplistic solutions to complicated problems, prodding the masses to question why in a land of plenty, everybody ain't rich.  What I reject  is their idea that people should be expected to share their wealth for the common good,  Wishful thinking.  Greed is the name of the game; "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely".   And were the situation reversed, black folks would would not be charitable and fair to a white minority.

As losers in a game it is not equipped to play, It would be great if the black race wasn't so fragmented and could muster up a united front. Instead, Blacks adapt to the status quo, scratching out an existence by working the system to their individual advantages or, unable to whip 'em, they join 'em, treading water in the corporate mainstream, playing its middle magagement games that provide a tolerable paycheck to paycheck existence.

Finally, in the big picture, more and more class has become a factor.  And who can blame the black bougeousie if its members distance themsevles from the dead-end ghetto culture where the underclass relentlessly replicates itself?

My reponse the "Cut Man" is a very patented one, expressing the contentions that I've repeatedly voiced over the years because I am repeatedly subjected to the "what-Blacks-need-to-do mantras".  In the natural course of things, change will come.  America  quite possible will implode under the weight of all that ails it.  From the ashes, a new civilization will emerge and it will be back to square one.  Maybe the next time around people of color will have the upper hand. 

I say all of this as a retiree receiving both a postal pension and a widow's one, who shops a WalMart, patronizes MacDonalds, visits FaceBook, utilizes Google and Wikipedia and because I am also a bargain hunter, goes to Amazon and buys cheaply-priced used books. Am I a dying breed?  I hope so, for your sakes, Troy and CDBurns. 

• Like 1

I think the fact that you acknowledge that you have submitted to this structure is a telling sign that people are actually aware, but simply lack the ability to change the way things are done. While Troy and I are debating here, we are taking small steps to at least attempt to subvert the structure. These small steps may not get us 1 mile up the road, but if enough people walk an inch they can change things.

I think a lot of people are aware, but they feel powerless to change the situation. Nihilism is debilitating.

It is not for the retired generation to attack the problems we are discussing. It is for the tech savvy, cell phone carrying, notepad device browsing generation to realize that their online browsing habits fosters the continued subservient existence of Black folks. Those in a position to actually sway public opinion will not, because as Cut Man states, "they vie for the approval of the dominant society." They are afraid to really take on the challenge of changing the way people think because they don't want to fall out of favor. I have chosen to take what action I can because I have learned to operate in the grey area. I don't have a "job" where I have to be careful about what I post or share on social media. I don't have a fear of being denied anything because I am saying 'stop shopping at conglomerates and support small business'. Unfortunately, I'm in the minority of people who can be outspoken. At the same time however, I also don't have a big enough voice to create a substantial change. But with my 300+ Facebook followers being shown the banner Troy created, they are now aware of Huria and my own website; when for the longest I directed people away from my site to Facebook and to Amazon.

I don't know if it's good that you are a dying breed... because the person who is aware is the person who begins to change and cause others to change as well. (I get what you are saying though :-)

• Like 2

I made a new year's resolution, to stop being so negative, but I have occasional lapses.  I always rationalize my critcism by telling people that it serves to strengthen their convictions.  So keep your eye on that half full glass, Troy and CDB. There's no reason why you 2 can't be instrumental in the change that will inevitably come.

1926774_666911683384413_424579691_n.jpg

• Like 1