Sentenced to 40 Years for Crime She Didn't Commit

Troy

Diane Cooper was sentenced to 40 Years for crime she didn't commit. Learn about this tragic, but ultimately redemptive and uplifting story in the book which tells her story Dark Justice.

I shot this video on this weekend and was already familiar with the book, I thought it was a work of fiction.  I did not know it was a true story until I was shooting the video.  Basically I about two feet away from The authors whose real name is Pamela, and she say the story if about her.  I almost dropped my camera.  

She was sentenced to 40 years! This was for a crime one might consider a relatively minor offense and with no prior arrests a 40 years sentence (effectively life) is just so extreme. She would have been treated less harshly if she killed someone.

Pamela told me about all the things that was taken away from her and that she missed while she was locked up. But she explained to me that she could not give them her mind, they could not take that away from her.  That is how she survived.

@Kwinine Harper I'm sure you are absolutely right.  I just finished Diane's book. Part of the problem are the people she surrounded herself by (of course environment plays a factor here).  She was not exactly an angel smoking weed, fighting, dating a big time drug dealer--even shooting at someone

They also tried to get her to take a plea deal, which she refused to do.  So she turned down a 3 to 5 year offer, and took her chances at trial, with an inexperienced attorney, and ended up being sentenced to 40 years to life! 

Diane refused to cop a plea to something she did not do.  That takes a ton of courage.