Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Troy

Should Writers be Paid to Write?

54 posts in this topic

Who wants to be appreciated for their art when they’re dead?

LOL

I wouldn't mind. Then again, I have kids. I suppose I look at this from a different angle ---- Even if I'm not here, my kids and their future kids could enjoy whatever perks come along with being "appreciated."

Cynique Warmth is actually my type of book. Lately I've been spending MUCH more time on the website. I actually have not had time to enjoy a book. The article I wrote about not having read a book in three months was really an recognition that I'm not alone with this "problem". Sometimes we look down on people you don't read often -- or at all.

I would also argue that it is the publishers role to groom and nurture their writers -- this is really what the editing process is all about. I'd also argue why stop at editing their books? Why not prep them for media appearances? I sure authors with shitty personalities hurt their sales as much as authors with engaging personalities get a boosts in sales (all things being equal).

Hickson does this with his writers If you are in the business of selling books, you really have not choice.

Writegirl, I'd rather be appreciated when I'm alive. My descendants enjoying the spoils of my work is not necessarily "appreciation" :-)

Maybe I'm just weird. I feel like my descendants *are* me...well, pieces of me anyway. So if I'm dead and long gone, and they are the ones that get to enjoy the spoils, I don't mind. Then again, my inner circle is EXTREMELY small, and I happen to genuinely like them...soooo, maybe that has something to do with the way I think. Maybe I'll change my mind once they start getting older and getting on my nerves. :-)

I want to add to this because I just thought of it:

I believe that if I were truly out there hustling and on the grind as a writer, I WOULD have a problem with all my hard work going unnoticed & the spoils of success being left for others to enjoy after I'm dead. But in all honesty, I'm not doing that & I've realized this for a while now...and I believe that this has more to do with my personality than anything else. I'm so laid back and I have such a low desire for material things that I'm always in the state of satisfaction, even if I don't have much. I think that this personality does hold me back in terms of the standard Western definition of financial success, but at the same time, I'm pretty happy...

Soooo, I can certainly see your point, Troy, and also yours Nah'Sun when you say you'd want to enjoy the appreciation while still living. When I used to work 9-5s at the office, I busted my butt and I certainly expected to have my paycheck on time so that I could enjoy that money! lol...so, yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from.

@ Writer Girl

Everybody wants to be appreciated for their art

Otherwise, you’ll keep your work to yourself

@ Troy

Writegirl, I'd rather be appreciated when I'm alive. My descendants enjoying the spoils of my work is not necessarily "appreciation" :-)

Exactly

Nah'Sun, I don't know if you do this intentionally but sometimes you come across as ALL-KNOWING and I find it exhausting. However, I will address this and then leave it alone. I never said I wouldn't want to be appreciated. I said I was okay if this happens after I'm dead and gone & I said I wouldn't mind if my descendents were the ones reap the benefits. I understand that my position may seem a little "off." And that's cool. After having had a life-altering situation/experience, I just happen to look at things a lot differently today than I did say two years ago. But whatever. Have a nice day.

@ Writer Girl

Side A

Look at you…

…emotional

Side B

Doesn’t it make sense that you want people to appreciate your art once you put it out in the universe???

If you really didn't care, you'll keep your art to yourself

That should be common sense

As far as me being Mr. Know-It-All...

I speak on subjects I know of and leave those I’m ignorant about alone, or ask questions and do research to gain knowledge of a particular topic

I make no apologies of how I come across

It's food for thought...you do the dishes

Side C

You can simply ignore my posts and comments and not respond to them if you feel my perceived all-knowing persona is "exhausting"

You initially responded to my post...not the other way around

@ Writer Girl

Side A

Look at you…

…emotional

Side B

Doesn’t it make sense that you want people to appreciate your art once you put it out in the universe???

If you really didn't care, you'll keep your art to yourself

NAH'SUN, this is all I'm going to read, because you clearly didn't bother to take the time to READ WHAT I WROTE. SHEESH!

@ Writer Girl

I did read what you wrote

Not once…not twice…but that lucky 3rd time

I like repeating myself so you can remember the eloquence in my words

Signed…

Mr. Know-It-All

Well, there's famous and there's infamous. It's not a given that what a writer puts out there for the world to see, will result in appreciation. That's the dream. In reality, it's not enough for a book to simply be good as opposed to bad. It has to be a monumental masterpiece that makes an impact on the world because it is a classic representation of its genre.

Of course, being appreciated by your family and immediate circle can also be gratifying, even it's only because they are related to you or consider you a good friend. Or, in other words, they are patronizing. :unsure: I'll take any kudos I inspire after death, because I don't need to be validated by others while I'm alive. :wacko: I'm my own biggest fan. :P:rolleyes:

OK, Troy, new writers being groomed by publishers is the best case scenario. But, personally, I wouldn't a buy a book just because the author was poised and pleasant. The proof is in the pudding. In fact I'd be more curious about an edgy, compelling artist rather than a bland suck-up. <_<

Well, there's famous and there's infamous. It's not a given that what a writer puts out there for the world to see, will result in appreciation. That's the dream. In reality, it's not enough for a book to simply be good as opposed to bad. It has to be a monumental masterpiece that makes an impact on the world because it is a classic representation of its genre.

@ Cynique

Of course...

I'm just saying you're lying if you don't want some sort of feedback or even an ounce of appreciation for your work from at least one person

Otherwise, it's nothing but intellectual masturbation

I thought about it and decided that I don't write to be appreciated. I write to express myself. And the only thing feedback does for me is to give me an excuse to argue if it's negative. If it's positive, appreciation is not what I feel. It's recognition of a person who thinks like me. -_-

Is there something wrong with "intellectual masturbation"?? Who needs company? A vibrator can out perfrom a lover. :rolleyes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0