Looking for a Book for the Man in Your Life?

Troy

Guy Johnson:  He writes books for the macho, super-hero in all of us.  Looking for a book for the man in your life?  You will not go wrong with Guy.  He is also Maya Angelou's son.  I recommend Guy's books all the time.  He was perhaps one of the 1st authors we hosted for our online book club.

I called him in California (from New York), and keyed the answers to the questions posted by the online participants.  Sounds primitive by today's standards but that was back in 1999.  Guy's Standing at the Scratch Line was one reason I became passionate about promoting books.

guy-johnson-promo.jpg

With all due respect to Guy Johnson, if you already have his book and are looking for a different gift for either the guy or the gal in your life, you might want to pick up Beyonce's new album which just dropped unannouced and will go on sale next week  It's proclaimed  to be a real blockbuster, featuring an endless roster of new songs featuring guest appearances by a host of  celebrity artists, not to mention husband, JayZ and daughter, Blue Ivy.  But, wait.  There's more.  A panorama of videos wherein Beyonce's whole life passes before your eyes will also be available.  Who could not want to put at the top of your to-do list the purchasing of Mrs. Carter's self indulgent love letter to herself.  Oops. Sorry. Beyonce insists this monumental exercise in narcissism is a gift to her fans who apparently can't get enough of her.  Thank you, thank you. Merry Christmas.

Super couple that they are, JayZ and his royal consort Beyonce are so over the top that they overwhelm me to the point of getting on my nerves. Who needs Prince William  and Duchess Kate to be bored by when we have the king and queen of hip-hop right in our midst. 

Not suprising I smh over all of Jay and Bey's hype; my age prevents me from being their target audience.   But I just find both of them so 2-dimensional, the total embodiment of all style and no substance.  How much strutting around in a scanty outfit with a wind machine blowing your blond hair extensions as you shake your booty and belt out yet another inocuous song do we need?  How much creepin up and down the stage in Timberlands and street gear, rappin' about the thug life do we have to endure?  Do either of you ever use your fame to promote things that will benefit the black community?

So why am I pluggin Beyonce's new album? Because I need a break from Miley Cyrus? No.  Because Kanye and Kim are even worse?  No. Because I have nothing better to do now that I've gone out and purchased my lottery tickets for the 500 million dollar Mega Bucks drawing...     

• Like 1

new-beyonce.jpg

http://aalbc.it/bkalbum

Ted.com reports:

Beyoncé samples Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s TEDx message on surprise album

Adichie’s words come in at 1:24, and form a beautiful second verse of the song:

“We teach girls to shrink themselves,
to make themselves smaller.
We say to girls,
‘You can have ambition,
but not too much.
You should aim to be successful,