Mass Shootings across America

Over two days, there have been two mass shootings in California to make national news. 

The 1st occurred during Lunar New Year celebration in an Asian community.  The Asian gunman killed 10 people and wounded 10 before killing himself. 

The year of the rabbit is supposed to represent longevity, peace and wealth.

This evening, a man killed 7 people and wounded 1 in Half Moon Bay.  The shootings occurred in two locations.  The suspect has been apprehended.

There have been 38 mass shootings in the US since the beginning of 2023.

On cue, gun control comes up.  Mental health is the real elephant in the room. 

We need to find out why these people are destroying others and themselves.😎

• ProfD changed the title to Mass Shootings across America

Keeping guns out the hands of nuts should be a priority.

My concern is that a bunch of nuts already have guns.  There is no controlling them.  Unless people who have heard and/or seen strange behavior report it. 

Snitching used to be a bad thing.  But, if it's going to save lives, somebody better say something.  Especially family member and friends and associates who know the nut(s).😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The situation in Chicago is ridiculous!.  Each day newspapapers  and nightly news stations give an accounting of how many were killed for the day, like war casualties.  Not a day goes by where  people aren't  shot to death, many of them school kids or innocent bystanders or people inside their homes. They are predominately black, with a few Hispanics mixed in.    

Illinois just passed a law to ban assault weapons and the Sheriff of one  of Illiinois' counties has declared he has no intention enforcing this law, that  it's unconstitutional.  NRA people are claiming that "assault weapon" is just a term that is made-up, that these weapons are just  rifles.

car-jackings and street robberies are running rampant, and people are now arming themselves, firing back and killing the perpetrators, which i think is almost funny. 

It's surreal.  

i don't know what's going on  in the heavens, but Earth is turning into Hell. 😳

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

Illinois just passed a law to ban assault weapons and the Sheriff of one  of Chicago's counties has declared he has no intention enforcing this law, that  it's unconstitutional. 

I heard Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker talk about that last week. Unbelievable that some law enforcement folks plan to ignore the ban.

Governor Pritzker seems to think those in opposition to thre ban are a minority. He thinks most law enforcement folks will comply.

It's easier to restrict new weapons purchases. Problem is there's a sh8tload of assault weapons already in hands.

I'm totally in favor of armed citizens especially if it keeps others from becoming victims of crimes.

Mass shootings would decrease significantly if  perpetrators don't know who's strapped. 

Major cities like Chicago have a huge problem with senseless murders and other crimes. The citizens should be able to carry an equalizer. 😎

• Like 1

Giving everyone guns is a terrible idea.

No matter what many claim, the average person has a moral center and would be horrified to learn they've taken a life, even if it is to save another. 

But the real problem are those who are violent may quickly disarm a person trying to help. Then use the weapon on the do-gooder and others.

Cops gun down folks they swear are armed every friggin' week. They are often mistaken. The same is true of civilians. Now, the so-called "good guy with a gun" in the Texas Roadhouse eatery intervened and shot a robber nine times, killing him. But he shot him AFTER the robber walked past him.

I agree with those who want to prevent nutcases from obtaining firearms in the first place. But that train left the station long ago. The day when White people in this country accepted 20 dead grade school children and six adults in the December 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting, the debate over gun control ended.

The recent spate of armed civilians taking the law in their hands

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stefan said:

Giving everyone guns is a terrible idea.

No matter what many claim, the average person has a moral center and would be horrified to learn they've taken a life, even if it is to save another. 

But the real problem are those who are violent may quickly disarm a person trying to help. Then use the weapon on the do-gooder and others.

The same is true of civilians. Now, the so-called "good guy with a gun" in the Texas Roadhouse eatery intervened and shot a robber nine times, killing him. But he shot him AFTER the robber walked past him.

@Stefan, it is not my position that everyone should have a gun. 

Killing another person is not for the faint of heart.  Only people who are trained and unafraid to use a firearm should carry one.

Texas is an open carry state.  Yet, it has not become the wild west as a result.

The Texas Roadhouse eatery is an example of what an armed person can do.  The guy went a bit overboard insuring the robber was dead.  But, he did handle the situation.

Mass shooters pick soft targets (church, school, business, etc.)  because they know armed resistance does not exist.  Very few mass shooters walk into a police station or a gun range and start shooting people.  Too many guns.

I get it that you are anti-gun.  That's fine.  Take cover when an active shooter shows up and bullets start flying.

Otherwise, until  America gets a handle on mental illness and other things that trigger violence, citizens who have the capacity and desire to do so should be armed.  They might save your life. 😎

• Thanks 1

This a tough one. But I’m with Stefan on this one. 

@ProfD using your reasoning people in “soft target” like churches, schools, businesses should be armed if that what your are saying.

You make it sound simple. Owning, maintaining, securing, and caring a gum is not trivial, nor is knowing when and how to use it.  Do you carry a gun around with you in case you confront a gun man?

As the article pointed out armed civilians  “defending” themselves kill innocent people and unnecessarily use deadly force all the time.  People have been killed over parking spots, walking in the neighborhood, taking too loud in the movie theater. 

Instead of creating an arms race amongst the population and being the hand maidens of the NRA  we should seek other solutions…. 

• Like 2

@Troy

Excellent analysis.

Early news reports of the Texas Roadhouse incident actually claimed the assailant's gun was fake. I don't know and I am reluctant to investigate this further because of the races of the alleged robber and so-called good guy with a gun.

But Troy is correct. Not everyone should own a gun because they may not be a responsible gun owner. Just look at the incident in which a six-year old boy shot his teacher. 

• Like 1

@Troy and @Stefan re-read my post above. 

I've already stated that not everyone should own a gun. 

Someone in a soft target should be armed especially if a mass shooter shows up.

10 hours ago, Troy said:

Do you carry a gun around with you in case you confront a gun man?

Stay ready.

10 hours ago, Troy said:

Instead of creating an arms race amongst the population and being the hand maidens of the NRA  we should seek other solutions…. 

This would be ideal as I mentioned in my 1st post.  Until then...😎

… until then, everybody strap up, huh? Fascinating.

I do know people who feel this way. Most  were “in the life,” or in law enforcement.

Still others were regular citizens who feel the need to protect themselves and their families against some threat (mostly imagined if you ask me). The fact is most police officers never have to fire their weapon in the line of duty.

But for some reason many civilians are under the impression that this country is so dangerous that they need a gun for protection. I’ve always said the media’s focus on murder and mayhem give people a distorted view of the world. 

We also know most of the victims of gun violence would not be protected by carrying a gun. Having a gun will not protect you from catching a stray walking down the street, but getting guns off the street and tougher laws might help.

@ProfD be very careful if you are ever stopped by the police.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

… until then, everybody strap up, huh? Fascinating.

That's not what I wrote above.

1 hour ago, Troy said:

@ProfD be very careful if you are ever stopped by the police.

Thanks.  I'm over a half century old and counting.  I'm better than good.😎

@ProfD

I get what you were trying to explain. But you were never specific and were unclear. You said every citizen should be armed. That means little. Because immigrants and migrants are also victims of gun violence. They deserve protection as well. 

You also said citizens should be able to carry an equalizer. Which means different things to different people. To you, an equalizer is apparently a gun. To others it could be pepper spray, a taser or even a hammer. Even though most of us know either of these may not offer much protection to a sniper, a spree shooter or someone who wants to shoot a specific individual. 

Letting anyone have a gun who wants one is not the solution. There are many layers to the gun violence problem and a major component is mental illness.

Any comprehensive solution must come from legislators who have, thus far, demonstrated they have little incentive in ending this scourge. 

Do you remember what happened to Philando Castile? He was a Black legal gun owner who lived in Minnesota. Castile had a firearm in his car when pulled over by the police. He told cops he had the gun. The cops ended up killing him anyway. This is what Troy is warning you when he said you must be careful. Cops love killing us. They do not respect Black Lives. 

Philando Castile was a smart and cautious gun owner

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stefan said:

I get what you were trying to explain. But you were never specific and were unclear. You said every citizen should be armed.

A couple times I've asked you all to go back and read what I've written.

I haven't edited one word of my post in this thread. Read it without bias or emotion.

Again, I never wrote that every citizen should be armed. 

9 minutes ago, Stefan said:

This is what Troy is warning you when he said you must be careful. 

I appreciate the caution/concern. But, I come from a place where I've seen it all.

I'm keenly aware of my mortality. Therefore, I have nothing to fear. 😎

• Like 1

I will never endorse handing or approving a firearm for any individual without requisite training and evidence of taking precautions. 

Now, ask me about a Black civilian defense force that offers firearms training and I can easily get behind that. 

I don't want anything to happen to you. Black people need most of us. 

@Stefan, I also mentioned firearms training above too. I'm not advocating a wild west.

I'd totally support a Black civillian defense force too. We've always needed it.

We cannot depend on law enforcement to serve and protect us. Sometimes, they're part of the problem. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

White people as a group are never going to VOLUNTARILY give up their weapons in this society no matter what laws are passed because they will always fear that a "race war" will jump off and they will be left vulnerable.

I personally prefer an gun-free society, but as long as racist and criminals are running around with guns then I think it's the responsibility of most intelligent and righteous Black people to be able to protect themselves and their families by any means necessary.

I've said it many times before and I will continue to say it......
It's getting to the point that righteous and intelligent Black folks WILL have to form their our own societies and communities inside this nation and fortify them from the growing evil and violence from the outside.
Our own compounds.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pioneer1 said:

White people as a group are never going to VOLUNTARILY give up their weapons in this society....because they will always fear that a "race war" will jump off and they will be left vulnerable.

Therein lies the reality of the situation. That's why white Americans own more firearms than any other country on the planet.

White Americas aren't stockpiling firearms to go hunting. They're not out killing food. They are prepared for war. 😎

• Thanks 1

I'm not one to embrace conspiracy theories, but it seems to me this whole incident is being choreographed including the big build up to the airing of the videos showing the dastardly deed, along with the  subliminal  references to the idea of rioting in the streets.    

Meanwhile, young black perpetrators continue to make themselves fresh meat for the slave catchers. 

They wanted riots to occur.

The media was all but begging people to hit the streets and raise hell after the video is shown.

They wanted Black police officers to be the "face" of police brutality and a good old fashioned uprising would be the perfect traumatic event needed to burn that image into the psyche of society and take the heat off of racist White cops committing most of the murders and brutality.

It would also be a good cover to began purging Black cops off of police departments around the nation.
After all....who would come to their rescue if THEY are seen as the enemy as well?

Outside of a mob in New York who allegedly attacked a police car, nothing major happened.

• Like 1

I recommend you all read this article from Reader Digest about gun ownership and gun violence in America: https://www.rd.com/article/gun-violence-statistics/

If there is an article that argues that our current gun culture and the number of guns out there is a good thing please share it.

I think people buy guns for the feeling of power guns can provide.  But I'm sure the psychology behind all of this is much more complex.   

America, especially in the south, is a gun culture.  Guns are as American as apple pie.  

I also believe the media has a lot to do with our obsession with guns.  We all hear about every mass shooting, so we think we are likely to be involved in one, when the odds are actually very small. 

The likelihood of a full-on race war in America is virtually nil.  Sure there are people who want a race war and might even try to start one, but a sustained race war or anything like our civil war will not happen.  Buying guns and ammunition in preparation for a race war is lunacy, but lucrative for gun sellers.  

Yeah @Pioneer1, the media would have loved some riots -- they are great for ratings.

It is interesting how quickly the Black police officers were dealt with.  If they were white they'd be on paid leave. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

They wanted riots to occur.

Black folks are not going to riot. But, one of those white racists groups might infiltrate the protest and start tearing up sh8t to make us look bad. 

1 hour ago, Troy said:

It is interesting how quickly the Black police officers were dealt with.  If they were white they'd be on paid leave. 

Absolutely. Memphis police chief is a Black woman. She had to hurry up and do something about the situation.😎 

ProfD

Well, Black folks USED TO get out in the streets and riot.
That's when as a community we had more pride, masculinity, and refused to tolerate certain things.

Since the 90s, the AfroAmerican community has become more confused and "soft" in a way so many of those who were down to hit the streets have either gotten older, died off, or locked up.

It's a shame that so many Black youth have gotten so docile that the White power structure can't even trust them to riot anymore and has to resort to sending in White infiltrators to stir things up...lol.

Look at what happened in Atlanta a few days ago.
A bunch of White kids running around starting fires and throwing rocks.

• Like 1

It's so wonderful that we both can relate to and enjoy the wisdom of brother Neely Fuller Jr.
So I bring him up again.........

He has said numerous times that he was living in Washington D.C. back in 1968 when they had the riots over King's assassination.
He said while some Black folks were on ONE END of the block setting fires to the rowhouse they were living in.....he was on the OTHER END helping to pick up a fire hose and wet the building down and put the fire out to keep it from spreading.

I found that not just honorable but so amazing because I haven't heard a story like that.

I can imagine Mr. Fuller with his younger but still highly intellectual self out there in the middle of a riot, wrestling around with a fire hose trying to put out fires....lol.

• Like 1

@ProfDyou asked an ultimate/final question in your original post?

We need to find out why these people are destroying others and themselves.

This is the most important question and everyone knows the answer. Some individuals have it up to here with their environment and have no more hope or patience in it getting better. it is a simple thing. 

Whether it is priest burning themselves alive or people jumping off of rooftops or people going out in a gun blaze, they have quit on life. 

The question is, is a person mentally unhealthy when they quit on life? 

In the usa at least, it is advertised a person is mentally unhealthy when they quit on life, whether they harm others or not. Is the usa media true? 

The last two questions are key in my view. 

3 hours ago, richardmurray said:

The question is, is a person mentally unhealthy when they quit on life? 

In the usa at least, it is advertised a person is mentally unhealthy when they quit on life, whether they harm others or not. Is the usa media true? 

Yep. Quitting on life or losing the desire to live is a mental breakdown. The person is mentally unhealthy in that moment. 😎

• 2 weeks later...

It does not matter WHY a person embarks on a killing spree. The crucial element is keeping guns and other killing implements away from them. Because you will not stop their mental illnesses.

Mentally ill people intent on harming others will use anything that's available to hurt others. Such as rental trucks. Federal jurors are deep into the penalty phase of an Islamic fundamentalist who mowed down bikers and pedestrians on a Hudson River bike path in 2017, killing eight of them. Sayfullo Saipov, 35, was convicted in January of the attack.

And on Monday, a dude used to a U-Haul truck he rented in Florida to kill one and injure several others during a rampage on Brooklyn, N.Y. 

The latest spree shooter, the one from Michigan State

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

It does not matter WHY a person embarks on a killing spree. The crucial element is keeping guns and other killing implements away from them. Because you will not stop their mental illnesses.

Mentally ill people intent on harming others will use anything that's available to hurt others.

That's why I believe we need to do a better job of treating mental illness especially here in the US. 

If we can eliminate or reduce the triggers that cause violent episodes, even fewer things become a weapon.😎

When it comes to suicide....it's usually more of a mental health issue.
But when it comes to these mass homicides....it's more of a societal problem because anytime you have THESE MANY people going off like that, something is wrong with society itself.

One of the reasons the "founding fathers" of the United States and early legislators introduced bills and acts like Posse Comitatus and others that forbade the government from using the military on it's own citizens was simple:  Everybody can't be wrong.

It's one thing if one or two people get out in the streets breaking glass and starting fires and raising hell.
They could be criminals, drug addicts, just plain crazy as hell....the police can take care of them.
But when ENTIRE COMMUNITIES are out burning and looting and shooting.....all of them can't be stupid or crazy.  Something clearly went wrong to set them off.  So the military shouldn't be sent out against them but rather their voices should be heard to find out why they're so angry.

And it's the same with these mass shooting incidents.....
WHY?
WHY are there so many angry and hopeless people out there today?

There is too much of a DISCONNECT between those making the laws and the average citizen who has to live under them.

@Pioneer1 

in my view, you hit the nail on the hardest thing for most countries in humanities history to handle. 

The nail is a question. 

How bad is the country I live in? 

The average person in media in the usa will say the usa is the best, no problems, it is a tired narrative, but it is what is said. And that is the point. Perception is the point.

how many people in the usa like it? like where it is headed, inevitably? I wonder. Media suggest everyone is overjoyed but is everyone overjoyed? 

Different people commit mass murder suicide for different reasons, but based on my observations the MAIN causes are White men trying to maintain power and control over their families and communities.

Most demographics have been known to commit mass murder suicides from time to time but White males in the U.S. take the lead by far.

The vast majority of cases consist of middle aged White men who end killing their wife, kids, family pets, and finally themselves.
That's probably over 90% of the mass murder-suicides in the U.S.

Many White men in America feel they have a divine right to rule over other people, including other White women and children.
If their wife files for divorce or he discovers she's fucking a Black man....he'll often flip and be ready to take the entire family out and go with them...rather than live with the "humiliation" of not being able to maintain "control" as a White man.

Now what I just said is an absolute FACT that many people of color...especially many Black folks....have no concept of.
They'll ignore it and bounce down the street with their minds of something else thinking police brutality or housing discrimination is the main problem despite several times a week what I just described fills the headlines of most local news stories.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:02 AM, Stefan said:

But Troy is correct. Not everyone should own a gun because they may not be a responsible gun owner. Just look at the incident in which a six-year old boy shot his teacher. 

Yes, I read recently that a mother had recently took a clas to become a gun owner and the only time she used it was on her adult son. She shot and killed him because, after he came home from work, she asked him to go to the store to get her something and he was tired and told her he would do it later. She then got her gun and shot him and killed him. 

• Sad 1