NYC can pay for law enforcements crimes but can't for the community centers

New York City has paid 121,000,000 dollars for police misconduct this past year which is is the highest cost to the city in five years but the magnolia center needs 350,000 and has to have a fund raiser.

Landmark preservation phase 1

http://s-media.nyc.gov/agencies/lpc/lp/0959.pdf

Landmark preservation phase 2

http://s-media.nyc.gov/agencies/lpc/lp/0957.pdf

Go Fund Me if interested, please share

https://www.gofundme.com/f/magnolia-tree-earth-center-of-brooklyn

Source

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2023/02/02/group-that-helped-make-bed-stuy-green-seeks-funding-for-next-50-years

now4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

No surprise. How the money gets spent shows the priorities.

The taxpayers should be protesting if they don't agreee with how their tax dollars are being spent. 😎

You both are right on target to point these things out.  We need a politics, mass struggle, and consciousness that doesn't tolerate this kind of situation.

We are already in the midst of a mass struggle and have been since the First Slave Revolt.

The payments for police misconduct have been ordered by courts and the City of New York must pay them. People suffered at the hands of NYC cops and some think their complaints and redress should be ignored? They sued for damages, won and now it's time for them to be paid. 

The reason the community center has been underfunded is because NYC has run out of money. And this is the fault of AOC and her dopey band of Progressives who have encouraged migrants to demand hotel rooms, instead of being squeezed into  a shelter, (which are at overcapacity), Metro cards, free cell phones and of course, food (which they tend to throw away).

Did you read the thread I wrote on AOC? 

A year ago, I said on other forums (where people actually read and click on news links) that Mayor Eric Adams would have to cut the municipal budget because of migrants. But few wanted to hear of it. 

Do you really think Black Americans could cross our southern border in the millions, show up in Mexican cities and demand services in English, hotel rooms, free access to regional buses, subways in the capital, free cell phones and an adoring army of English-speaking activists to tell Mexican residents to donate their clothes and other unused items?

This is just the beginning of pain for ordinary New Yorkers. Mayor Adams has asked for $2 billion from the federal government to help. He gets nothing. Because racist Republicans would scream bloody murder if Biden sent even $50. 

The GOP is all about Cruelty. They are loving this chit. Which is why I despise Black people who refuse to condemn Republicans. I've always suspected it's because they're living easy and have little regard for those beneath them. Just as their White and Latino counterparts in the GOP do. 

Now, I wonder if Pioneer is going to order Black people to leave New York City as he did Black people in California. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Black people are leaving New York City on their own volition. The NY Times did an article on this recently: 

i would quote from the article but it is behind a paywall  and i already exceeded my free access for the month (with just this one article).

Harlem is going back to being white… you can’t keep anything you never owned.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stefan said:

The payments for police misconduct have been ordered by courts and the City of New York must pay them. People suffered at the hands of NYC cops and some think their complaints and redress should be ignored? They sued for damages, won and now it's time for them to be paid. 

The reason the community center has been underfunded is because NYC has run out of money.

Sure, victims of police abuse should be paid. 

However, I refuse to believe New York City could come up with $121M to pay damages for a lawsuit but couldn't scrape up $350k for a community center. 

Politicians are elected by the people but they seem to work for special interest groups.😎

• Thanks 1

Good comments all

@ProfD the one problem i have with your statement is the potential suggestion that people in nyc aren't protesting. People including whites have been protesting in NYC since its founding. The problem is lobbying. The majority populace of NYC is financially flat broke. So they don't have the money to just dictate what they want, sequentially they protest. But, protesting has limits on function.It can do somethings. The preservation of buildings/community boards/public schools, protesting in nYC has generated alot but it can't do everything. Now after all these dialogs, i know you are anti violence. but there is a limit to protest and voting unfortunately has the major flaw that NYC is soft on direct democracy, meaning no initiaitves or recalls, nyc allows for referendums but they are not easy to come through. The bureacucracy has set it up where major government changes require lobbying to get through in NYC. It is that simple. But the cost of lobbying in NYC is massive. Remember NYC is a country that masquerades as a city 10 million is a country. 

@KENNETH yeah well, if you are truly desiring that, then start a political party , and I am being serious. The platform is your chocie but if you want governmental change, then start a party, and start with one seat and then work on the second seat and keep going, it is that simple. At this point, i think all can agree that the idea that the donkeys or the elephants can be used as vehicles to get somewhere for all things is clearly a lie. But, starting your own party is a lifework, it isn't twenty years. the two parties have made it where you need to give your life to that. do you love the USA kenneth? how much? 

@Stefan Your correct, years ago I recall a former prime minister of england saying Alexandra Ocasio Cortez's green new deal was not applicable. So, your correct, her and the other green candidates philosophy will not work with the current status quo. I argue the problem with the green donkeys or the snow white elephants is both want things that are not impossible, but require massive changes that too many others will be against and to be blunt, they don't care about the others.  The USA historically is a country that tends to get very tribal. And I think modernity is merely the calm before the storm. The lack of cohesion amongst plans by elected officials in the same party of governance or between parties of governance is the writing on the wall. Yes some centrist exists but it is clear that the elected body is majority or near majority non centrist and the result is dysfunction, cause every elected official wants but none are willing to make a deal. The entire USA is going through an identity crisis. In this very forum you can read that black people in this forum barely agree, and yet we are all here supporting this black platform. All we have in common is we want to support black but the details .. ahhh.  The migrant crisis started because Biden wants the USA to be a docking place for the global poor. The problem is  the southern states :) didn't want more color in them, so they shipped the color to the haven states. In that way the potential donkey voters will grow but the elephant states aren't touched. It goes back to identity. Is TExas the same as New York? Is California the same as Mississippi? States are different, and the populace of the usa with all these various peoples has only made state identity more valuable. In NY state the donkey state senate blocked the latino judge appointed by the donkey governor cause the state senate wants someone green. Everywhere in the USA you can see lines being drawn. And the power of those lines has no bounds. 

@Troy you pulled away from the topic but I read that article. I live in HArlem. I believe I wrote in this very forum that HArlem was no longer black or at least majority black years ago. I am glad the new york times now concurs with me or other harlemites who have been saying this for a while. REal news would be if we all in harlem left and the lenape came back from the grave to live in manahata. The Black internal migration in the usa is a long known thing. The black populace historically shifts back and forth to the south. I will only add the wish of FRederick douglass was that black people in the usa would embrace the multiracial community at the local level. He didn't want black towns. He wanted everything mixed. and through various things the black community in the usa has slowly made that happen. and that is that for me. 

@harry brown well, let's take your idea another way, instead of complaining that black people give money to churches let us ask why the churches don't spend that money better on the village. MAybe a new christian denomination needs to occur, why not? I don't know if you are christian but you can start it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

@ProfD the one problem i have with your statement is the potential suggestion that people in nyc aren't protesting. The problem is lobbying. The majority populace of NYC is financially flat broke. i know you are anti violence.

The bureacucracy has set it up where major government changes require lobbying to get through in NYC. It is that simple. But the cost of lobbying in NYC is massive. Remember NYC is a country that masquerades as a city 10 million is a country. 

Protesting is lobbying without money. 🤣

The collective populace of NYC is not financially flat broke. Plenty of money is being spent in NYC every day.  Not just tourism.

Instead of playing the lottery, If every working citizen of NYC gave $1 dollar, a new community center could be built. 

I'm sure the cost of housing the immigrants that were sent up on buses from Florida and Texas is costing NYC  taxpayers more than $350k.

There is no shortage of ways to raise money for that community center.  My point is the NYC government could pay for it if they had a desire to do so.  

I don't know how you got the impression that I'm anti-violence.  I take it you have not read my position on guns.😁😎

• Like 1

@ProfD  I suggest reading the points that I feel are important: 2/3/6 , the others are for clarification.

First,  an unimportant point, but one I need to make, I said the majority, not the collective. the collective is the whole. NYC has more billionaires among its populace than any city in the USA. I did not say the collective, i said the majority. 

Second, an important point,  when you say working citizen, you mean working citizen who still has to live in a shelter cause the rent is to high? when you say working citizen do you mean people who are in the USA illegally who are getting wages? When you say working citizen do you mean those who are working at making money illegally? When you say working citizen you don't mean the many unemployed whether listed or unlisted, like people coming out of prison? when you say working citizen you don't mean those getting nothing but welfare checks? when you say working citizen you don't mean those who are only getting retirement checks? when you say working citizen you don't mean those getting only social security? 

Third, an important point, let's say, each of the people you think should give a dollar do? who can handle that money? you? me? troy? NYC? who? IT amazes me how every year you hear of people giving their money to someone for a community effort and it gets abused. A few months ago, a bunch of chinese in new york city complained about a chinese man who stole their community money. I repeat who should be trusted with this? you? me? troy? nyc? 

Fourth, an unimportant point, as all in this forum have said countless times, the USA prints money for a reason, this is the point of the debt ceiling. just keep printing, the government finds money for itself. The issue is the ability of the citizens, outside the government. 

Fifth, an unimportant point, but one i must make, It is funny how people say their are infinite ways to raise money and yet, none of the ways seem to work. In my experience or those relayed to me , the only way that truly works, not philosophially, historically, is somebody giving money. The museums, the cultural centers, many schools, all were and are based on people who have significant wealth giving up money and that includes white things in the city, or white jewish things, not just people of color. the common white jew isn't behind the jewish community, it is wealthy white jews who make it all happen. So until that community center find a sugar daddy it will be broke after trying all the infinite other philosophical methods. 

Sixth, I apologize, I confused you with another member of aalbc , maybe pioneer. but I am uncertain at this point who I was thinking og. 

• Like 1

@richardmurray, action makes things happen. 

To whomever that community center is important, they need to organize and mobilize in order to get it funded. Ask for the money.

Doesn't matter where the money comes from whether it's citizens or benefactors or the government.  Make it happen.

Sitting on the sidelines grumbling and complaining about what they won't do definitely isn't going to make it happen.

Self-defeatism and excuses definitely insures that nothing gets done. 

Too often, people want pennies to fall from heaven or stand around and wait for somebody else to make it happen. 

While some folks do benefit from luck and good fortune, I personally don't like those odds.

in the words of Soul Brother #1 James Brown, "I don't want nobody to give me nothing, open up the door, and I'll get it myself". 

Going a step further than that, in the words of the Notorious B.I.G., "kick in the door...".

Organization, hustling, hard work, determination and perseverance goes a long way in getting to done.

All that being written, it shouldn't be that hard for Mayor Eric Adams to find enough money in the budget to take care of that community center.  It would be up to his paymasters allowing him to do it. 😎

• Like 1

Stefan

((  👀 ))                                                                      

Do you really think Black Americans could cross our southern border in the millions, show up in Mexican cities and demand services in English, hotel rooms, free access to regional buses, subways in the capital, free cell phones and an adoring army of English-speaking activists to tell Mexican residents to donate their clothes and other unused items?

No.
Great point.

But I must admit, I'm kind of surprised to hear this coming from YOU...lol.
I thought you were Team Democrat Party all the way and completely towed the line for every topic on their platform.
You also stress the importance of building coalitions with Latinos and others so much, you'd be one of the last people I'd expect to read that from.

Now, I wonder if Pioneer is going to order Black people to leave New York City as he did Black people in California. 

Only if YOU take up residence there....lol.
It would be my responsibility to steer them away from bad influences.
However if you keep talking like you did above, I may reconsider...lol.

harry brown

Black. People Might. Could Have. Community. Centers. For. Black ,Children. If. They. Stop. Taking. Money. To. Church. .Paying. For. ,These. Snake. Pimp. Preachers. To. Have. Cars.....Black. People. Pay,For. Their. Own. Enslavement......

Excellent point Harry.
We have to start taking some responsibility for our own institutions instead of continuing to expect White folks to all of a sudden stop being racist and doing the shit they've been doing.

You KNOW they're eventually gonna take money away from much needed public resources and redirect it elsewhere.
You know this.
They have a history of it.
So why aren't we prepared????

6 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Excellent point Harry.
We have to start taking some responsibility for our own institutions instead of continuing to expect White folks to all of a sudden stop being racist and doing the shit they've been doing.

You KNOW they're eventually gonna take money away from much needed public resources and redirect it elsewhere.
You know this.
They have a history of it.
So why aren't we prepared????

This is why My entire position is based on Personal Responsibility.

All Politicians are liars.

m2.jpg.c121150b9a8bdc847246b36104e70b0a.jpg

It is an act of pure insanity to mobilize your resources to, for, or against, a massive system of pure corruption. It will be a useless, wasteful, endeavor.

qf1.jpg.136bf9a17580531f84f61c1dbfb3ee7c.jpg

Were we to take our resources and establish our own community and grow it. 

We would at the very least be giving ourselves a chance at success.

m1.jpg.9e3776caefce721aab22357bdb8cbe0f.jpg

At the very worst gain a foothold in the world structure as a failing nation.

Something that will never happen within this system, as we are regulated to target practice, serial rape victims, cash cows, perpetual consumers, and workdogs. All a bunch of component descriptions that together equal being a slave.

Some people are happy being a slave, As long as they aint a field slave they alright. I say good for them. When we all leave let them stay with their master. see how that works out for them.

For the house slave, it is all about the; WE.

Master. What are WE gonna do now?

Master WE is sick and We needs help.

Master WE need to stop those field slaves from all that uprising.

Master. WE aint' safe in here no more!

Those house slaves are so conditioned they dont know where they stop and their master begins.

THOSE MASTER'S ARE STILL CONTROLLING THEIR SLAVES THAT ARE DESPERATELY WORKING TO BE A PART OF THE HOUSE.

697233726_SealoftheUnitedStatesHouseofRepresentatives.thumb.png.24ff305480dbf013625f5ee1083d4bd6.png1554448734_WhiteHouseWashington-DC.thumb.jpg.5ae6719787c0e3534b4de1ad467d545d.jpg

That house is called POLITICS.

1 degree of separation.

Those; WE MASTER house slaves, are doing everything they can to please their master.

In the current system we have all been categorized labeled and shelved.

The house slaves want the politics. The house slaves need the politics. It is all they know.

But the real path. The only path worth a damn. Is to leave the system of lies and corruption and do for ourselves.

Everything in the quote from your comment is what I have been saying needs to be done.

It is pure insanity to wait on MASTER in HIS HOUSE to do it for you.

10 hours ago, Rodney campbell said:

All Politicians are liars.

In the current system we have all been categorized labeled and shelved.

But the real path. The only path worth a damn. Is to leave the system of lies and corruption and do for ourselves.

Just know that our position is a minority around here. Many folks line up on one side of the aisle or the other politically. A classic case of insanity.😁😎

• Thanks 1

Sometimes, I think a lot of folks on here play politics as it relates to their bank accounts.

And this tends to keep them silent because they are fearful of losing their status. 

I was plenty radical as a Journalist and an Editor. I pissed off people to the point many roundly disliked me. But I didn't care. But I was decidedly much more dangerous as a Business College professor.

For five years, I had my students' undivided attention and answered all of their wide-ranging questions with aplomb and truth. 

I am not just a Democrat. I am a Black Democrat. And that is why I strike back at some with venom. 

If your enemies know you can be cowed, they will keep doing what they've been doing.  Screwing you. 

@Pioneer1

The lure of El Norte has a been a rite of passage for Mexicans since the beginning of the 20th Century. Migrants did not begin with Joe Biden. And the political coalition that propelled Obama to victory in 2008 did not include self-absorbed and self-entitled Mexican migrants.

AOC is a Democrat in name only. This witch and her Justice Democrats PAC targeted elected Black Congressmen. She thinks she is a friggin' queen and can decide the future of all minorities.  But she is nothing but a self-righteous and elitist Socialist whose policies will never work.

Because Socialism has failed in every country that adopted it. 

Blacks alone cannot effect legislative change nationally. There needs to be a Political Coalition. Keep banging your head against this concrete Truism all one will get is a bad headache.

@ProfD

You can refuse to believe what you want. But YOU do not live in New York City. 

And the city cannot come up with $150,000 for that one community center. I don't think you understand the power of the New York Post and other Rupert Murdoch-owned other media outlets. 

Yeah, it's sad that the community center is underfunded. But so are a lot of other initiatives. For a couple of years, elderly Asians were being punched, kicked, whacked upside their heads and thrown onto subway tracks because their assailants were ostensibly blaming them for Covid-19. But some were not even Chinese and had lived here for decades.

You don't want Black senior citizens targeted after other ethnic groups start whining "Why Blacks and not us?" because that is exactly what will happen if this one community center is funded. New York City has no money.

I said the budget cuts would come and they did. 

@Troy

The only Black Families that may leave New York City are those with the financial means to do so. It is not a mad rush.

Most are too poor to go anywhere else.

@ProfD

You can refuse to believe what you want. But YOU do not live in New York City. 

And the city cannot come up with $150,000 for that one community center. I don't think you understand the power of the New York Post and other Rupert Murdoch-owned other media outlets. 

Yeah, it's sad that the community center is underfunded. But so are a lot of other initiatives. 

I said the budget cuts would come and they did.

You're correct in that I do not live in New York City.

However, I'm astutely aware of the 1) power of the media and 2) how governments and money works.

Again, NYC is spending more $150k taking care of immigrants who were bussed there from Florida and Texas. 

It is  not a lack of funding issue to NYC government.  That community center and those other initiatives are not high priorities.😎

• Thanks 1

The only Black Families that may leave New York City are those with the financial means to do so. It is not a mad rush.

Then there are the issues of having a job someplace else and needing a car, otherwise, there probably would be a mad rush.

People fortunate enough to have an apartment in the projects are somewhat trapped.  When I was a kid it was realistic to save some money and buy a house in "Blacklandia."  For those of you familiar with NY City Blacklandia is what I call the "two-fare zone" bounded by the Van Wyck, Grand Central, Belt Parkway, and the Cross Island. It includes St. Albans, Jamaica, Cambria Heights, Springfield Gardens, etc).  It was whitelanida originally but as soon as negros started moving in it quickly became Blacklandia.

Today, housing is so expensive in NYC that it is much harder for people to leave the projects in Harlem and move even to Blacklandia, let alone Atlanta, Charlotte, or Florida.

There are opportunities to move to places like Tulsa (where I lived for 18 months), Bentonville AK, The Shoals in Ll, and other cities where they will pay you to move there. 

Still, many people can't imagine NYC -- despite the crime, noise, dirt, hyper-policing of Black people, and high cost of living -- they love NYC.  

NYC does still have some appeal, but I'd rather visit than live there -- and I was born raised, and lived most of my adult life there.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, Pioneer1 said:

Everybody else seems to either be double dipping from both sides depending on the issue...

This is perfectly reasonable as prior to the hyper-partisanship of today most people held views that were supported by different parties.

• Like 2

@Pioneer1

Why don't you regale us with more of your unsubstantiated nonsense such as China works for the U.S.?

Or ... all Blacks need to leave California

Or Haitians need to return to the worship of African spirits because you claim doing this will work wonders for them

Or your take that Slavs, who are also Slovenians, were Slaves, too. So I guess you think they suffered for as long and as horribly as Black people in the Americas. Did you know Melania Trump is a Slav? She's Slovenian. When did her people's Slavery stop? When was the last time one of Melania's people was yanked out of their car and beaten to death?

I can go on, but I won't. Kindly post another photo of yourself since you think you are one of the smartest men on the planet 

I've rarely encountered someone online as friggin' off the wall as you.

What next? You know the exact chemical composition of the soil on Mars because you dreamed of it?

• Haha 1