How Do You Celebrate Black History Month

Although it is belated, Happy Black History Month.

How  do many people on this forum celebrate Black History Month?

I mostly celebrate it by looking at historic old documentaries that I recorded from TV and Radio regarding the struggle such as Jim Crow, MLK, and tragic events such as Tulsa and Rosewood.  My favorite period of black history between the end of slavery and the  civil rights era of the '50s and '60s was  the Harlem  Renaissance.

Also, I look at recorded specials on legendary  celebrities such as Louis Armstrong, Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne, and Tyra Banks as well as different musical genres pioneered by blacks such as jazz and blues.

I also look at a lot of black movies as well.

So, needless to say, I keep a low profile.

How do many of you celebrate the month?  Is it by going to parades and festivals?

Reading about and watching historical accounts of Black folks past and present. 

Before the month ends, I may trek back to the National Museum of African-American History and Culture (NMAAHC).

Needless to type, I celebrate Black History all year round.😎

@anonymous50

In all earnest if I have any issues with black history month it is the lack of creativity, the lack of fun, the lack of a lively nature. 

I find most activities during black history month are history lessons, things black people shouldn't need. I rather black creativity more. but it doesn't really happen.

I can't recall how often I see some health stuff during a black festival. why do black people need healthcare things during a black festival. Black history month maybe needs to be Black cultural month so we can focus on culture, what is grown not history in the usa. 

@ProfD 

in New York City, their is jewish heritage month/latino month, asian month/women's month/many various communities month, celebrated loudly.

Question, why do black people keep saying they celebrate black history all year round? can I know why? 

During women's month women don't say , I support being a woman all year round, they simply focus on women. 

During latino month , you don't hear latino's saying, I am a latino all year round, they focus on being latino for the month . 

Why is it so necessary for Black people to say they celebrate Black history all year round when so many communities have similar months and during those months get highlights they don't get any other time yet NONE of them feel it necessary to say what you and so many other black people like saying? why?

@richardmurrayI hear you, but the struggle is real, yo, and I bet the Latinos, Asians, Jewish, Women... all, in one form or another, say that they celebrate their heritage/sexuality all year round.  Our culture is expressive, while others are more discrete or is it that we just don't pay attention, or is it that you are just being too hard on my people.  We're a proud people - nuf said.

I celebrate Black History Month by reading about our greatness and reminiscing about our resilience:  Black Wall Street, Black Inventions, Black freedom fighters, Black strength, Black talent that EVERY nationality LOVES.   SAY IT LOUD...I’M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!!  

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

Question, why do black people keep saying they celebrate black history all year round? can I know why? 

Why is it so necessary for Black people to say they celebrate Black history all year round....yet NONE of them feel it necessary to say what you and so many other black people like saying? why?

AfroAmericans have a unique history. It's important to know and celebrate it beyond the shortest month of the year. 

As Black history is under attack and threatened to be whitewashed from the books, it's more important than ever that AfroAmericans preserve it by any means necessary every day.😎

@Dee Miller

I am being insensitive to our communities uniqueness in the usa. Consider how often Black folk say we celebrate Black History all year I need to figure out how I can view it as a statement of praise not dysfunction.

@ProfD

I don't disagree that all Black people need to celebrate or know Black history as often as they can. Again, I know I was fortunate, but my youth taught me that black people are the biggest culprit when it comes to our culture not being known by us. My two black DOS parents didn't have magic, they were regular black humans, and not homeless or impoverished but not financially wealthy and they made sure I knew black history, without no need of the school system to help. That whitewash stuff falls flat for me. Why aren't we talking to each other profd? I argue Black parents failed,  the white man didn't help, but many black parents simply failed and they failed to tell their children about themselves.

Did you Profd? 

If you had children, did they know about you, the things you were ashamed of that you did or were apart of before you they were 19? 

I personally don't celebrate Black History month...I celebrate Black History all year round.

Similarly......
I wish the schools would stop calling it "Black Studies" or "Black History" and just call it the TRUTH.
Merge the accomplishments made by our people in with the mainstream and just teach it like it is instead of leaving half of it out.

I blame Black teachers and professors for this entire CRT fiasco.
They don't have to go around arguing with White folks, principles, school boards, and announcing to the world that they want to teach Black history and racial studies.
Don't even ask for permission.

Just DO IT and make it part or the normal curriculum.
Hell, that's what White folks do.

You don't see White folks carving out a special month for themselves or begging for special classes to celebrate their accomplishments.
They STANDARDIZE it so that their history becomes THE history.
It's up to us to break that cycle and standardize our history and accomplishments.

@Pioneer1

In NYC, white irish americans get march , white italian americans get october, white jewish americans get may 

I don't know where you live in the USA, but where I live, which has 10 million people, individual white communities get months, cause notice I didn't say DOSers get a month. February is Black history, for all blacks. Caribbean american month is in june, not to mention the women's month/the lgbtq+ month/ the people with disabilities month... 

Where you live in the USA white people don't have months BUT where I live, the biggest city in the USA, there is no white history month BECAUSE each white subcommunity got a month. so....

in NYC, you think black history month shouldn't exist but italian american month/iriish american month/jewish american month/women's month/latino month/ mexican month lgbtq+ month can and all the others can happen ? ok

richardmurray

Well, for one thing they don't call it "White History" they chop it up into ETHNIC groups so that it will be more acceptable to the public.
"Irish Pride" sounds more palatable than "White Pride"....lol.

But, I think it LIMITS us to pull out a week or month and set it aside to focus on our history when we SHOULD be doing it all year round.
Why do we need a "month" to focus on Black History?
Why do we need a special class to do it?
Why don't we just DO IT all year round in every class we have the opportunity to do it in?
That makes us more UNIVERSAL and takes away limits.

@Pioneer1 

Well, for one thing they don't call it "White History" they chop it up into ETHNIC groups so that it will be more acceptable to the public.
"Irish Pride" sounds more palatable than "White Pride"....lol.

and thus back to my point, what is the real problem with black history month? I just don't see the logic in the argument from black people who say they have problems with it. I don't see it. russian month/italian month/white jewish month/irish month/polish month/ even french have a week/german week... the whole year is littered with months that overllap for whites and yet, one month for black and it is a crime, it is a grandious negative within the black community itself led by black people like yourself... 

But, you make a point. Maybe black history month needs to be DOS month though that doesn't sound particularly well.. and to your point, in nyc they have a carribbean month. The carribbean has so many islands, I think even you will realize monthing them all is silly. 

But, I think it LIMITS us to pull out a week or month and set it aside to focus on our history when we SHOULD be doing it all year round.
Why do we need a "month" to focus on Black History?
Why do we need a special class to do it?
Why don't we just DO IT all year round in every class we have the opportunity to do it in?
That makes us more UNIVERSAL and takes away limits.

I disagree, all year in NYC you have black people emitting black culture, all year, no shame or lessening exists by having this month in nyc. maybe where your at , ok. but isn't a lessening or limiting here. Black cultural centers act all year round in nyc, a little month of emphasis isn't limiting them. 

As for need, or having a special class, again, all communities in nyc have it. The first asian woman to start an asian american studies program died two weeks ago. she was educator in nyc, whose main goal was teaching asian history too... ASIANS... Everyone does it! pioneer. 

Every group in the usa has a month where they are given an extra media bump communally. every group in the usa deals with their culture all year round. every community in usa has cultural classes in the education system

Now maybe where your at black people don't have any activities outside black history month, but not where I am at. so , ask for black history month to be deleted where your at, not the whole country , cause a number of black communities are not limited.

I'm not advocating that we do away with Black History month.
People should be free to celebrate it if they choose.
We can also have an FBA/ADOS/DOS month also.

Why limit it to ONE month?
Why not 2?  or 4?
Spread them out around the year and have one for every season.

Same with television channels.
BET isn't enough....have the FBA Channel to compliment it.

At the end of the day, as long as we don't consider ourselves Americans or citizens or significant members of this society....simply see ourselves as "outsiders" constantly trying to win over the approval of other people....the "real Americans"....the problems will persist.

We need to start controlling the narratives of this society instead of marginalizing ourselves and acting as if THIS isn't our land and we're just waiting to go to some other land waiting to welcome us.