What are your thoughts to the photo below?

My thoughts are.....Rihanna is STILL sexy!

I know quite a few bruthaz were heated over the picture because her man  (Rocky ASAP?) was in the back holding the baby and they thought the image kind of "emasculated" him....but it didn't bother me.
Both of them are millionaires and I consider them a power couple who don't have to necessarily abide by the "traditional" rules.

• Like 1

Rihanna is 5' 8" which is above average for a woman (5' 4").   A$AP Rocky is 5' 10". 

As mentioned, he only looks shorter because of how the picture was taken.

Now, if Rihanna puts on a pair of 4-5 inch heels, A$AP will be looking up.😁😎

• Like 1

I was in the customs line leaving Barbados several years ago and Rihanna was in the line behind me as the line snaked i got a really good look at her. She is average looking. Nothing particularly striking about  her in her natural state. We look at the people on the cover of Vogue and make the mistake of assuming that is actually how the person looks in real life.

Times have absolutely changed as few men in my generation, or older, would desire that positioning on the cover of a magazine. It is emasculating, but that is considered a good thing today. Let the woman led pulling the “man” along as he nurtures that baby. I’m sure the photo was crafted to stoke that sentiment.

I don’t particularity care for the photo, but the baby is cute 🥰 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Delano said:

She is a bigger brand than him.

Yep. Rihanna has more money than A$AP Rocky. Then again, there's not too many Black men who have as much as she does.

Interestingly, no matter how much money a white woman has she's never promoted or considered to be more powerful or bigger than a white man.

Jeff Bezos ex-wife hooked up with schoolteacher on the rebound. She's a billionaire. Neither she nor anybody else looked down on the dude. The media hardly mentioned it.

Only AfroAmerican women are put in a space where they proclaim to be strong and independent and don't need a man. 

From Rihanna to Lizzo, the media is having a field day laughing at them.😎 

• Like 2

She looks great in the Vogue Cover. I  don't think it has to be emasculating or diminishing ASAP Rocky. It's about her rise or perhaps re-emergence not only as a star but a business woman and mother. He's there supporting her and holding her hand as a symbol of the bond. But that's just me. 

We want to talk about black people being liberated and strong over white racist dominatdomination yet black people male and many females still see patriarchal control as positive and necessary. Black Freedom then merely becomes freedom for black men to control black women and communities. I just think it's a good cover.

• Like 4

In my view, it's not about patriarchal control.  Nature designed it that men build and lead.

When natural disasters strike or any form of heavy lifting is required on the planet, women are not expected to be the 1st responders.

I still contend that it's only among AfroAmericans that women being empowered over the men. 

Here in the US, the societal emasculation of men is worse for AfroAmerican men.  That Vogue cover is a shining example of it. 

Despite that Jay-Z has just as much money as Beyonce, the media gives her more props than him.   

Oprah Winfrey has always been lauded while Steadman Graham is relegated to her side-piece.

Yet, when it comes to their white counterparts of similar status, it's not the same. 

If an NFL team owner most of whom are billionaires has a wife, she's barely noticed. 

Black folks definitely should not view patriarchy as an encroachment on freedom. In fact, that is the last piece on the chessboard. 

Do Black folks hate or resent their fathers?

I hope not.

When Black men are no longer seen as the head and simply a tail, it will become even easier to conquer Black women and children.😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I support an egalitarian society where women really DON'T need a man....nor would men need women.
It would all be voluntary.
I'm glad this society has gotten to the point where a woman can work and support herself without having to submit herself or her dignity to some asshole who is abusing her and the children every night.

However that doesn't change nature.
In nature....among humans....men were equipped with testosterone and stronger muscles for a reason.

Well this whole "I don't need a man" business comes as a result of living in such a sophisticated well built society that most women (and most men for that matter) take their security and comfort for granted.
We have machines to do much of the heavy work and we have police officers and a military to keep security and stability in our society.

All it takes is for a natural disaster or some major social disruption to break out to turn all of this upside down and the demand for REAL MEN to step up will be as strong as ever.
That "I don't need a man" shit will go right out of the door.

Really.....if we want to be honest.......this "I don't need a man" business is really another way of saying I don't need a BLACK MAN.

When you hear most Black women say they don't need a man, they are really talking about BLACK MEN.
Because most of them definitely feel they need White men to keep the lights on, bills paid, their job to keep a pay check, and the car fixed.
For a lot of our women....perhaps even most....the only thing a Black man has been "needed" for in their life is for entertainment (sexual, emotional, etc....) but if he is removed she'll move on and find another or just do without but life will still go on.
Remove White men from the picture and the house she live in will collapse, the lights and gas will get cut off, schools will close, crime and chaos will be off the chain......until society rebuilds itself.

There are good and bad reasons for saying you don't need a man in this case see I'm not overly concerned with the slogan. The truth is that we need one another not only for reproduction, but connection that enriches both of us. God made it that way.

What we don't need in our personal or social relationships are control, manipulation, exploitation,  abuse, or injustice.  Too often these things come with patriarchy and gender inequality so change is necessary. Not every change or egalitarian idea is right or useful that's. because we're prone to error and excess. But we can move forward together in better direction. I think that's one way of thinking about the photo.

What are the sources of conflict in our relationships or lack there of ? Think about it.  Too many Black men are disdain education and work.  They only care about sex and the appearance of power and accomplishment. They focus on conquering one woman after another, and can't be faithful in a committed relationship. And they don't show up as fathers for their kids. They don't even think about marriage and family. Too many Black women wrongly blame and punish all men especially their lovers and husband's for the wrongs that an abensentee father, lousy boyfriend, or sex partner did to them in the past. They are so worried about being strong and holding onto to what they have that it's impossible for them be vulnerable and accept a man's love and support. They have babies outside of marriage and are unhappy in themselves. They wrongly look for a man to fix this brokenness and are mad because no man can. 

These are the kinds of attitudes and modes of living that we must work on as individuals while continuing to fight for our freedom and equality. We've got to be better to each other so we can move forward as partners rather than one over another.

• Thanks 1

......not to mention some people LOVE being abused.

I didn't believe it at first.
When I used to hear it as a kid, I thought it was some sort of misunderstanding or exaggeration.
But the older I got and the more experience I had the more I realized that some people actually love and seek out abuse and if you don't give it to them, they no longer find you attractive.

Both men and women should love themselves before they even think about sharing it with someone else and procreation.

Broken people usually create or indulge in toxic relationships and breed dysfunction. That cycle tends to repeat itself. 😎

Problem is, sexual attraction is so powerful it often OVER RIDES logic and even wisdom.

You find yourself attracted to some women no matter how toxic they are.
You even know they are manipulative and conniving but they are so attractive you often take chances with them thinking you're smart enough not to get caught up in their drama...lol.

Before you know it, you're a good man or good woman who messed around and made/had a baby with some loud ghetto fool you wish you'd never met.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:24 PM, ProfD said:

I still contend that it's only among AfroAmericans that women being empowered over the men. 

Yes, it does seem like this pic supports this type of trend.

I wonder though, if Rhianna's husband was a White man, would he be pictured in the background. My answer would be, yes, he probably would be pictured in the background but it would still not negate that there is a movement against Black men. 

Well first of all if Rihanna HAD a husband....it would probably be a White man, because Rocky is merely her BOYFRIEND.
They haven't even jumped the broom yet....having all these babies...lol.
A White man would probably demand that their relationship be more "official".
Having said that.............

I would say that if Rihanna's husband was a White man standing in the background like that holding a baby....except for a handful of ultra-conservatives....White society probably wouldn't have a problem with it one bit simply because there are ENOUGH IMAGES of masculine White men taking care of business and being Alpha males that that one picture wouldn't pose a threat at all.  May get a few laughs at the most, but certainly no insults and charges of emasculation.  

The position of White manhood is pretty secure in the White community today.
If this were the 60s or 70s.....there would have been an uproar probably because the White Feminist movement threatened White Patriarchy......but not today.
Black Feminism is much stronger and more vocal in the Black community than White Feminism is in the White community.

• Like 1

A good example to drive my point home is Vice President Kamala Harris' husband.
He's a White man and you barely hear about him in the news....but he's confident in his role as 2nd husband.

image.png.5e6111130ba680cf74303d2ff2470442.png

Nor do you hear White men jumping up and down about him playing second fiddle to his Black AfroAmerican wife.
Too many images of White men who are IN power to trip over something so trivial.