School paper subjects ideas.

At age 10 my daughter had a school report to do based on a famous person.

She likes to be different, try and be original.

She decided on Hattie McDaniel.

Not much material available at the time. This before the internet.

Daughter ask the librarian and the Librarian came through and ordered a book, McDaniels biography. 

Traveling through Colorado we visited sites where McDaniel grew up.  A brutal weather conditions area settled by freed slaves. That's a story in itself.

The report a success.

spacer.png

Another subject considered was Spencer Williams. Actor that played Andy in the controversial Amos and Andy TV series. One of the most financially successful actors to ever work in Hollywood, yet probably one of the most forgotten.

My mom worked for Disney and for a while Disney made Instructional movies for governments. Disney's work was animated. Williams had a instructional film production company that did the same, but with live action actors. 

That's how my mom and he's paths crossed and they became friends. 

Williams also owned commercial income property and other successful businesses. 

Me growing up in, working in and married into Hollywood show business I observed one thing. Anyone that's a good actor, is good at anything they do in life. That's just my observations from my experiences.

Another subject could be stolen Black composed music. 

Scott Joplin spent his life trying to protect his copyrights. One infringer is said to be Irving Berlin. Marvin Hamlisch tried the same stunt but was called out early and reset his credits fast.

Bob Wills mega hit "Steel Guitar Rag" also stolen note for note from Sylvester Weaver who fought it in court. Oh brother is that ever disputed. Hold each sheet music together up to the light and it's identical music.

Just a few ideas above if your loved ones ever are considering a school report.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lee Vining said:

Traveling through Colorado we visited sites where McDaniel grew up.  A brutal weather conditions area settled by freed slaves. That's a story in itself.

A story that I'd love to read or hear!

This is the first time I heard a community in Colorado was founded by freed men and women!
What they must have endured........

I'm glad your 10 year old daughters school report was a success!  👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

A story that I'd love to read or hear!

This is the first time I heard a community in Colorado was founded by freed men and women!
What they must have endured........

I'm glad your 10 year old daughters school report was a success!  👏👏

Thank you for your kind words:

I just double checked my memory with wiki and I remembered correctly. I should have checked it before I submitted my post but I got it right.

In addition from Wiki:

Early life[edit]

"McDaniel, the youngest of 13 children, was born in 1893 to formerly-enslaved parents in Wichita, Kansas.[8][9]: 5, 11, 16–17  Her mother, Susan Holbert, was a singer of gospel music, and her father, Henry McDaniel, fought in the Civil War with the 122nd United States Colored Troops.[10][11]: 4  In 1900, the family moved to Fort Collins, Colorado and then to Denver, Colorado." -Wikipedia

Man......the plot continues to thicken, lol.

She was born in 1893 to a man who fought 30 years ago in the Civil War?
I wonder how old was her father when she was born?

Now I'm hearing about the 122nd U.S. Colored Troops!
I heard of the 54th Regiment but now I find out about another group of Black soldiers!

And before that, I hear about a colony established in Colorado by ex-slaves!

Damn!

What else are they hiding from us?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Man......the plot continues to thicken, lol.

She was born in 1893 to a man who fought 30 years ago in the Civil War?
I wonder how old was her father when she was born?

Now I'm hearing about the 122nd U.S. Colored Troops!
I heard of the 54th Regiment but now I find out about another group of Black soldiers!

And before that, I hear about a colony established in Colorado by ex-slaves!

Damn!

What else are they hiding from us?

McDaniels family moved from Kansas which brought this up in a search.  Check this out, I never heard of it. Another eye opener:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas

So I take it Kansas though pro Union,, was ???

BTW: My daughter went on to get her PhD in math and has a minor in wardrobe and costume. That is a thread all in itself too.

Daughter worked for awhile at Disney and Disney studios in Wardrobe. Most complicated work they do is for Tiannas Gowns (Prince and the Frog). The one Disney Princess that has several different gowns. Lots of work keeping them dialed in the daughter once said. They have to look 100%/100% of the time.

My Disney studio mom worked on the Tiana character design decades ago and styled her after Zola Taylor (Platters), the most beautiful women in a gown of all time. Strikingly gorgeous. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:40 AM, Lee Vining said:

The report a success.

Another subject considered was Spencer Williams. Actor that played Andy in the controversial Amos and Andy TV series. One of the most financially successful actors to ever work in Hollywood, yet probably one of the most forgotten.

Oh Wow! Very interesting.

I love to hear about these 'Buck & the Preacher' times!

Not much history available of this very important part of America about 

Black African-typed people in the western parts of America before or after Columbus.

In the western era, towns were built and then became ghost towns and the stories of Blacks

are gone with these towns for now, but hopefully, they will be revived. 

I've heard of Black people in Phoenix, Arizona, Colorado, Arizona, California... long before Columbus.

Where are these stories written down and archived? 

• Haha 1

Must have been off the scale brutal.

This before power tools, municipal water, electricity and comforts.

Just a frozen stretch of land and your hands to work with,,, but freedom!

When I visit the Civil War country in the relentless summer heat and humidity I think there are no words written to describe the horrors of slavery.

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

Lee Vining

Interesting how you can remember a school report from your daughter that was probably done over 20 years ago.
I bet SHE probably doesn't even remember that report she did....lol.

Just a tiny bit I remember. Probably because I'm a movie fan. Amazing how the camera loves some actors.

Daughter did write how tough it was settling in Colorado at the turn of the century.

Daughter now teaches math at a University. Gave up the fat studio paychecks for a teachers salary.

Maybe that's on me and my advice to her:

"Do what you want, what you like, but get your education."

Teaching is in her blood.

• Thanks 1

Chev

Buck and the Preacher times?????? 

Gurl are you seriously?????  😂  LMBAO!

Sometimes I wish I could transport myself back into the Reconstruction Era from say 1870-1910 because things were so promising for AfroAmericans.

No gangs.
No crack

No AIDS

There was a clear distinction between the racist Whites who wanted to harm you and the decent ones who wanted to help....so there was less confusion.
And ofcourse we as a people were more united and our families, values, and morals were far more intact.

Lee Vining

I live in Michigan and every winter we get atleast a few days of cold that is so harsh and frigid it makes me wonder what the FIRST people who settled this state were thinking when they came here...lol.
I don't even stay in Northern Michigan but in Southern....and it still get's 10 and 20 degrees below zero from time to time!

Makes you wonder what the hell were those people trying to escape from that was so terrible that they'd rather put up with THIS cold and snow than go back.....LOL
And this was before space heaters and furnaces where you had to rely on wool, animal skins, and old fashioned fires to stay warm!
What in the world DROVE those people and motivated them to do what they did....man.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2023 at 5:40 PM, Lee Vining said:

At age 10 my daughter had a school report to do based on a famous person.

She likes to be different, try and be original.

She decided on Hattie McDaniel.

Not much material available at the time. This before the internet.

Daughter ask the librarian and the Librarian came through and ordered a book, McDaniels biography. 

The report a success.

spacer.png

My mom worked for Disney and for a while Disney made Instructional movies for governments. Disney's work was animated. Williams had a instructional film production company that did the same, but with live action actors. 

That's how my mom and he's paths crossed and they became friends. 

Williams also owned commercial income property and other successful businesses. 

Me growing up in, working in and married into Hollywood show business I observed one thing. Anyone that's a good actor, is good at anything they do in life. That's just my observations from my experiences.

Another subject could be stolen Black composed music. 

Scott Joplin spent his life trying to protect his copyrights. One infringer is said to be Irving Berlin. Marvin Hamlisch tried the same stunt but was called out early and reset his credits fast.

Bob Wills mega hit "Steel Guitar Rag" also stolen note for note from Sylvester Weaver who fought it in court. Oh brother is that ever disputed. Hold each sheet music together up to the light and it's identical music.

Just a few ideas above if your loved ones ever are considering a school report.And now I'm so happy that we have the internet, and there is no need to spend so much time gathering information. I'm also getting my degree and have to work on different papers, but I've gone to the library for a book, I think, only once. All the info I need I can easily find online. From time to time, I also use the help of https://edusson.com/write-my-college-essay because some papers are too hard, and if I can use the help of someone who write essay for college students, then why not do it? It saves time and effort, and I can focus on more complicated tasks and now on my exams.

Wow, that's cool story. I'm happy that the report was good. And it's cool that you visited such place, like you had a chance to "see" some parts of history yourself. I've never been to Colorado, at yeast yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's great to hear about your daughter's unique choice of Hattie McDaniel for her school report/ It's impressive that she sought out info about McDaniel despite the limited availability of resources at that time. The fact that you were able to visit the places where McDaniel grew up in Colorado must have been a memorable experience, considering the challenging weather conditions and the historical significance of the area settled by feed slaves. It's great to see young minds exploring lesser-known stories.