What Is Luck?

@Troy  said something in another thread that I found to be somewhat interesting:

If you have the three things below, you will generally succeed in this country:

1. Ability;
  2. Drive; and
  3. Lucky

While I don't disagree with this statement and find it to be quite accurate in many cases, my question is what is meant by "lucky" or "luck"?

What exactly IS "luck"?

Is it strictly when chances randomly fall in one's favor; or are there Forces and Entities in the background controlling one's fortune and giving one "good luck"?

• Like 1

@Pioneer1

I can provide my answers but I will not. But I will support your questions with the amendment. 

The problem is, in assessing human life collectively, what happens when people don't concur on what luck is. Individually it is easy. Why? even if you are unsure, whatever you think in the end, no matter it's quality, you can utilize to guide or support your own actions.  But when human beings have to work in concert. variations will occur and when it comes to determining success anywhere in humanity or generating success anywhere in humanity as part of a group, said variations can be devastating. As the history in the USA prove. 

2 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

What exactly IS "luck"?

For me, 'luck' means 'OPPORTUNITY' 

If a person is given the opportunity to achieve then they may be able to if they have the other two components mentioned above.

But in many cases, without opportunity, a person may have the drive and the desire but not he CHANCE--another word for luck.

In America, that is how I view this DEMOCRACY.

Some have and some do not. Some are given the opportunity while others are not. 

An Opportunity can come from how this government has set up to give certain people a chance to be successful and,

another type of opportunity can be from a supernatural source. 

And then there are other types of opportunities that can come about.

But imo, nothing can really be achieved without some type of opportunity. 

• Like 1

Chev

What you said reminds me of a quote from President Obama:

image.png.5c9ecacd55a4c5a48355988a3a9b984c.png

"Luck is when Opportunity meets Preparedness"

But I also wonder if there is some external Forces that generate luck and providing the opportunities besides mere chance.

Some people carry good luck charms and amulets and swear they bring them good luck, so this is clearly beyond merely "chance".
Clearly they believe there is some Force or Power generated or influenced by these charms they carry.

richardmurray

I can provide my answers but I will not.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to INSIST that you provide me with some of your answers, lol.
Your answers may possibly be THEE answers!
The light of truth is too important for us to hide it under a bushel.

• Like 1

@Pioneer1

:)

I do know that individual luck is not collective|communal luck.

The luck that separated Jesse JAckson from Barack  Obama is not the luck that separated Asanteman/the ashanti land from Ethiopia. Collections of people always have  or have not opportunity simultaneously. As well as a mix of preparation or no preparation. The individual elements don't solely apply to collectives. 

TO be blunt, collectives have the factor of collective choices. Solomon Northrop being freed from enslavement you can say is opportunity plus preparedness though we all know not all free blacks who were exactly in Solomon Northrops shoes received the same fate. So... but, the luck of the black community in the usa has more factors that for solomon northup. 

• Thanks 1

richardmurray

What you said makes a lot of sense.
The more people you have, the more chances you have and the more potential opportunities you have to come up with something good and beneficial.

I'd tweak it a little and say the more SMART people you have, the more chances and opportunities you have to come up with good ideas that will benefit the community.
You can have a million dumb asses swirling around bumping into eachother and all you're gonna get is a bunch of fights and dilapidation.

frankster

Luck is perception???
What do you mean by that?  Unseen opportunities???

Luck is having good fortune with little or no real effort on the part of the recipient.

Winning the lottery is luck. Somebody shuffles to a gas station or convenience store and spends a dollar on a lottery ticket.

Scratch off or plop down on the couch and  wait for the balls to drop and winning numbers. Luck.😎

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

ProfD

Lol.....so the resident agnostic believes that luck is purely CHANCE ?

Yessir. Purely coincidence.😁

However, there's something to being prepared to take advantage of opportunities too.

Unlucky folks for one reason or another weren't prepared when a chance occurrence happened.

"Man, I had all of the right lottery numbers written down but didn't play because I was broke or didn't get my lazy azz to the store."🤣😎 

7 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Luck is perception???
What do you mean by that?  Unseen opportunities??

7 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

The Opportunities tends to always have been there....in most cases.

The Proper Knowledge of  and or Materials or Tools tend to be unrecognized till inspired......Focus.

Yes to an extent we do not see opportunities till we begin to gather and take stock of our inventory in our environment.....Expectation

Once we begin to acknowledge corresponding  relations between Materials in our Environment in a new way(Novel/Innovative)....Perception - opportunities arises

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

Yessir. Purely coincidence.😁

However, there'sthere's in being prepared to take advantage of opportunities too.

Unlucky folks for one reason or another weren't prepared when a chance occurrence happened.

"Man, I had all of the right lottery numbers written down but didn't play because I was broke or didn't get my lazy azz to the store."🤣😎 

Hmmmmm..........

Now this brings up more interesting questions.

Are we sure this person's lack of preparedness is strictly a result of "bad luck" or do they have a HISTORY of being unprepared through out life?

If a person has a history of being unprepared, can we really call that person "unlucky"?

Perhaps they are suffering from a lack of intelligence and motivation which is why they are routinely unprepared.

I would think a truly "unlucky" person would be one who WAS prepared and made all of the right moves but ended up being hit by something on his way to play those winning numbers OR maybe he DID play those numbers and won but ended up getting robbed on his way home.
Either way....he doesn't get the money he should have gotten because of bad luck.