Miss Clara Brown...my, my, my.

I have to raise a Black Power fist   to @Lee Vining for hipping me to ex-enslaved Black folks who left the South to settle in Colorado and formed entire communities!
I had no idea of this!

I knew we left the Soutn and went west to places like California, Texas and Arizona but cold ass Colorado?   
Man...I come to find out Black folks ran up into them mountains and TORE THEM UP looking for gold.

This is one of the reasons I call myself the "Pioneer".
Because I look at those early Black Pioneers who decided to get the hell out of the old corrupt system, travel to a NEW land, and establish their OWN communities as my role models!

This is so inspiring to me, including this story about Clara Brown who I just happened to read an article on while researching my newly found interest:

Clara Brown

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History_char_cbrown.jpg

Clara Brown

Clara Brown (c. 1800–1885) was a former enslaved woman from Virginia and Kentucky who became a community leader, philanthropist and aided settlement of former slaves during the time of Colorado's Gold Rush. She was known as the 'Angel of the Rockies' and made her mark as Colorado's first black settler and a prosperous entrepreneur.[1]

Brown was born in Virginia in 1800[2] and moved to Logan County, Kentucky, with her family.[3] She married another enslaved person when she was 18 and together they had four children. In 1835, Brown's family was broken apart when they were all sold to different slave owners. When Brown was 56, she received her freedom but was required by law to leave the state. She worked her way west as a cook and laundress to Denver, Colorado.

Brown settled in the mining town now called Central City, Colorado where she worked as a laundress, cook, and midwife. With the money she made, she invested in properties and mines in nearby towns. Known as "Aunt Clara" for her emotional and financial support, Brown was a founding member of a Sunday school, made her home available for prayer services and generously supported the community.

At the end of the Civil War, Brown could freely travel and liquidated all of her investments to travel to Kentucky to find her daughter. Although she was unsuccessful, she paid the way for 16 or more relatives and others who were former slaves to move to Colorado. Finally, in 1882 she reunited with her daughter Eliza Jane and Eliza Jane's daughter. In 1885, the last year of her life, Clara Brown was voted into the Society of Colorado Pioneers for her role in Colorado's early history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Pioneer1 changed the title to Miss Clara Brown...my, my, my.

Throughout our history, there's been countless AfroAmerican men and women who were able to do extraordinary things despite their circumstances.

Much of our history has been ignored, lost or hidden for obvious reasons.

You would think the goal of Black folks majoring in history would have been to dig up and document our stories. Knowledge is power.😎

This is why I enjoy Tariq Nasheed's Hidden Colors series and his other Black history documentaries.
He delivers AfroAmerican history in a way that even most of the major universities don't and will not.

I'm glad we finally have the OPPORTUNITY (luck???  lol) to tell our own stories now.
In many parts of the world, the history and contributions of their Black population has been suppressed and ignored by society in general and virtually NO effort is made to retrieve it.
I was watching a documentary on the oppression Black people face from Arabs in Tunisia which is actually IN Africa!

1 hour ago, Pioneer1 said:

I'm glad we finally have the OPPORTUNITY (luck???  lol) to tell our own stories now.

Being to produce and/or seize opportunities isn't luck. Only requires action which is having the will and desire to do something and make it happen. 

There's a lot people can do without needing permission or help from others. In that case, being prepared and taking the step(s) is the only obstacle to getting to done. No luck required.😎

@Pioneer1, the question then becomes what is the difference between a highly intelligent individual who does little or nothing with their great brain and a natural fool who still manages to take of self.

Drive through any neighborhood and the highly intelligent and clown might be neighbors.😁

H8ll, we just had a natural fool aka clown running the country for 4 years. 🤣😎

ProfD

the question then becomes what is the difference between a highly intelligent individual who does little or nothing with their great brain and a natural fool who still manages to take of self.

Potential.
The highly intelligent person has it IN them, whether they decide to use it or not.
I have a cousin who is highly intelligent, but he CHOOSES to run the streets and is an alcoholic and drug user.  Whenever he does decide to clean himself up (if he does) his mind will be a force to recon with.

I have another cousin who hangs with him and does the same thing, but is a natural fool....I mean NATURAL.
So silly he didn't know the difference between the words "cherish" and "cherries" until he was 25 years old...lol.
I mean, so goofy he barely passed the test to get into the military and THEN got kicked out because he kept asking people "How do you know who to shoot?" during basic training.
And we know this because he ADMITTED to us that's why he got kicked out.

A NATURAL fool.....lol

H8ll, we just had a natural fool aka clown running the country for 4 years. 

Are we sure Trump was a fool?
Or did he PRETEND to be one for entertainment purposes in order to relate to the fools who voted for and supported him?

Most Trump voters are clowns and fools and he would have been wise to stoop to their level in order to relate to them.

12 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Potential.
The highly intelligent person has it IN them, whether they decide to use it or not.

The road to h8ll is littered with good intentions and potential.  

Being highly intelligent and choosing not to use it is dumb.😁

I know of way too many brothas who were intelligent, gifted and talented who are no longer with us as a result of doing dumb sh8t. 

In fact, I know quite a few similar brothas who are still among the living too. 

What they all share in common is a refusal to use their brains constructively.😎

• 2 weeks later...

Well one of the signs of intelligence is EXPERIMENTATION.

The intelligent man knows you gain more PRACTICAL knowledge and wisdom when you get out and experience things and experiment with them to find out the best method of doing things.  So sometimes intelligent people will do stupid and foolish things simple to explore and expand.

The thing about them though......
Although they may do foolish things from time to time, especially in their youth.....if you notice they still retain certain bits of intelligence to back out or change directions or "slick talk" their way out of a situation the way a NATURAL FOOL simply can not do, lol.

Then you have other factors like emotional stability and maturity levels that influences a person's behavior BEYOND intellect.
Human beings are complex....lol.