Do You Have an Unconscious Bias Against Black People?

I was listening to the Hidden Brain podcast and they discussed the unconscious (implicit) biases we all hold.  People may consciously reject bias against Black people, but when they take a test that measures their unconscious bias the truth comes out.  It was a very interesting program, which you can listen to below:

You can take a variety of tests to learn your unconscious via toward Black people, dark-skinned people, gay people, and more at Project Implicit.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:38 PM, Delano said:

No my bias is pretty conscious for Blacks and Whites. My prejudice is in the aggregate not the individual. How long are the test at Project Implicit.

They are about 10 mins, but for me they felt faster.

48 minutes ago, Troy said:

See that is the thing, by definition you are unaware of your implicitl bias. Take one of the tests and see if it marches what think.  I was surprised by my results.

What were your results?

My results:

Screenshot_20230319-033808_kindlephoto-49961751.thumb.png.1bfe52a1ac30e45ce310d927b41234cd.png

I'm pretty sure I know my biases when it comes to race, colorism, physical appearance, homosexuality, religion, Liberals, Conservatives, men, other women, retarded and handicapped people, political correctness, rape, and other people's children.  As I said, I'm hyper critical and keep my true feelings about such things to myself. Other wise i  would get my ass kicked on a regular basis and - have no friends!  😛

well, in brown vs board of education wasn't that the premise of thurgood marshall, the black children chose the white doll de facto, knowing full well they are not white while most have negative experiences side whites... I think it is a conscious negative bias many black people in the usa or elsewhere have to self, built in a complex media framework, from books to televisions in modernity while also, and in my view most importantly, to a clan culture stemming from the slave quarter in the past or other similar negative communal extremes. 

I learned this about project implicit

The mission of Project Implicit is to educate the public about bias and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data on the internet. Project Implicit scientists produce high-impact research that forms the basis of our scientific knowledge about bias and disparities.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/aboutus.html

On 3/19/2023 at 4:54 AM, SpeakHerTruth said:

What were your results?

I thought i would show a bias toward black people. But along with 18% of the population i did not show a bias one way or the other.  The same results as yours.

17 hours ago, Cynique said:

I'm pretty sure I know my biases

yes everyone feels that way about their conscious biases. implicit biases, by definition, are unknown to us. The tests are an attempt to reveal these biases. Did you take any of the tests?

@richardmurray did you take any of the tests?

1 hour ago, Troy said:

I thought i would show a bias toward black people. But along with 18% of the population i did not show a bias one way or the other.  The same results as yours.

I was kinda surprised at my results, too. I thought I was hyper racist but turns out, nope. I see white people as equals. 😨