9 hours ago, SpeakHerTruth said:

Has the community collectively given up on tackling this issue?

I tend to see it affect more black women than men, but both have struggles with it.

I don't know about anybody else but, I am personally trying to tackle this issue!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:01 AM, Chevdove said:

I don't know about anybody else but, I am personally trying to tackle this issue!

Oh  come on Chev, let's see some pictures and let US be the judge of whether or not you need to drop a few pounds.

SpeakHerTruth

Has the community collectively given up on tackling this issue?

Some of those in the community never gave IN and dried to control their weight or help those around them.
So they essentially have given up nothing.

One of the main causes of obesity is simple, it's the TYPE of food that is being eaten.
Mostly fast food, restaurant food because of all of the  preservatives and other chemicals they pump in thoses foods.

When I was kid, Black folks had a restaurant on every corner in Detroit.
They also fixed their own food for the family.  
The state of Michigan attacked many of those businesses and shut them down for petty reasons.

I tend to see it affect more black women than men, but both have struggles with it.

That's probably because women are more concerned with and worried over their looks than men are.
When I step back and look at it, I see just as many men who are obese as women.

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Oh  come on Chev, let's see some pictures and let US be the judge of whether or not you need to drop a few pounds.

LOL! @Pioneer1 Not now. And furthermore, my husband continually thwarts my efforts and sometimes I strongly believe he is being deliberate. 

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

One of the main causes of obesity is simple, it's the TYPE of food that is being eaten.

I believe that this is part of the reason. 

You know, I love fish and if I had the money, I know I would eat fish more than anything but it is so expensive.

I love salmon, croaker, perch, trout, flounder, etc. When I eat fish, it just seems to go straight to my brain. It just taste so good!

Lately, I have finally become 'in love' with water and but I still have a desire for the terrible soft drink.

I also love fruits and vegtables as well. 

Obesity is rampant in our community due to Environmental Racism....Food Apartheid - Food Desert/Insecurity.

Primary cause of Obesity is the consumption of food products with no Nutritional value, Enzymes or Fiber.

I am not giving advice as I am not in any way qualified to do so....the following is for entertainment only.

1st  is how much you eat 

2nd is what you eat.

3rd is when you eat

4th is how much physical activity.

Practice Fasting and try to not consume anything for 8 hrs at a time

Try to consume mostly organic minimally process foods....the closer to nature the better - Juicing and smoothies are great

largest meal in the morning and smallest meal before bed....take digestive enzymes before and after every meal.

Drink water constantly especially before meals

Work out(brisk walk is fine) at least 30 minutes two time a week till heart rate increase or sweat beads on your skin

Do simply stretch exercise every morning and night for 10 minutes.

Meditate (relaxation response technique is fine) 15 minutes daily

Start a Dream Diary/Journal.

See a Nutritionist....Blood work test for deficiencies.

Do the above for 21 days

Those are some fun Ideas that work for me.....This is not advice or recommendation

Have fun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chev

Not now. And furthermore, my husband continually thwarts my efforts and sometimes I strongly believe he is being deliberate. 

Ofcourse.
He wants to keep you to himself.

He doesn't want you to turn into another Jennifer Hudson.

Losing a lot of weight and next thing you know you're all over the place running around in bikinis kicking your legs and grinning.
A lot of people change their personalities after losing a lot of weight.

Lately, I have finally become 'in love' with water and but I still have a desire for the terrible soft drink.

I drink a lot of water myself.
I haven't had any pop (what we call "soda" or "soft drinks" in Michigan...lol) in years!
I don't even have a taste for it.
The older I get the less I care too much for sweet things like pop and candy.
I drink a lot of coffee and don't put any sugar in it.

frankster

....and don't leave out genetics.

Your genes are a MAJOR factor that determines whether or not you'll be obese and how much fat or muscle you produce.
Some people can eat whatever they want, as much as they want, and don't exercise a lick and stay skinny.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

...and don't leave out genetics.

Your genes are a MAJOR factor that determines whether or not you'll be obese and how much fat or muscle you produce.
Some people can eat whatever they want, as much as they want, and don't exercise a lick and stay skinny.

Environment plays as important a role as gene.....it dictates genes expression - epigenetics.

• Like 1

At a certain point......
It becomes a matter of how much time and effort you want to put in to override the genetic factor that causes you to be overweight.

Are you doing it for health reasons?

Are you doing it for aesthetic reasons?

Sometimes it's just not worth it.
Unless your health is in jeopardy or you're feeling self-conscious about your weight, perhaps you're better off eating what you want and enjoying yourself....LOL.

Some people should just be fat and happy!

5 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Are you doing it for health reasons?

Are you doing it for aesthetic reasons?

Sometimes it's just not worth it.

It's always worth it for your health and confidence! And we not talking about being fat and happy. Obesity is not just being overweight. This is part of the reason the problem is still around. Too many in the community think being obese is the same as just being fat and it's not. They are not interchangeable.

Obesity means you are in dangerous territory. You won't just lose a few pounds and be good again. You have to lose a ton of weight to take actual stress of your body. People who were obese were more likely to die from covid. And many did. It was literally weakening them and their immune system. This is why covid hit the afroamerican community so hard. So many are obese in our community and people don't care. Because they "happy".

• Thanks 1

SpeakHerTruth

I agree with you that being simply a little overweight isn't the same as being obese.  
However like I said in the other thread, we first need to determine if someone is TRULY obese.  It's often hard to simply look at someone and tell.  A number of tests measuring fat to muscle/bone ratio often has to be made.

Also, the standards should be different between Caucasian women and Black women of West African decent as their bone structures are often different and our bone structures tend to be denser and harder.

Also, you must take MENTAL HEALTH into account.
Sometimes the mental strain of constantly having to lose weight only to gain it back and lose it and gain it back isn't worth the aggravation and stress.
Sometimes it's better to be fat and happy and relatively stress free enjoying yourself.
Especially if your weight isn't interfering with other aspects of your life.

920+ Obese Black Woman Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

900+ Fat Black Woman With Attitude Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free  Images - iStock

Being “big boned” Is just slang for a “heavy set” person has nothing to do with actual human physiology.

@Pioneer1 in your long life have you no recollection of a very petite woman who over the years became really fat? Do you think her bones actually got bigger, denser, or harder.?

As women are their bones tend to get less dense.

Marketers target Americans with increasingly unhealthy foods. before there were fast food restaurants on every corner e we’re not nearly as obese.

Then the same market er turnaround to sell your products and gimmicks to help you lose the weight they contributed to helping you gain.

they also created a industry of self-help gurus who help obese women (usually women) come to terms with their new bigger body).

Women are targeted more than men. It is really amazing any Black women in America has their sanity.

kids seem to spend more time behind a screen that they do on the playground. 

obesity is as American as extra large slice of apple pie

Troy

Actually, most people I know have body types and weights that are pretty set.

Most women I know who were petite when they were young are now petite in middle age, maybe a LITTLE bit more fat on them but still the same body type for the most part.
Men I know who were fat when they were young were fat when they got older.

I'm slim now in my 50s.....and  I was slim when I was a teenager and in my 20s and 30s.

I know a FEW people who's body types changed, but not many.

So @Pioneer1 based upon your own contradictory statement from 2016:

I've never been lazy but I used to be fat (40% body fat) in my younger days but decided to eat right and exercise in order to lose weight and impress a woman I was working with...” —Pioneer1

Considering that your own body type has changed, I'm sure if you were honest with yourself and took sometime to consider it, you would come up with more than a "few" personal examples of people whose body types have changed over the years. 

Troy

LOL...if you weren't so busy trying to play Columbo.....or KOJAK.....

image.png.1e063241f689d6cc143d177272f3fa05.png

"Gotcha!
"I knew you were lying!!!"

.....you would have noticed my previous post when I said MOST people (including me) have basically kept the same body type through out the years from childhood, youth, and even up through middle age.
Not ALL people....MOST people.

Yeah I know a "few" people who's body types have changed.
I had an uncle who gained weight after becoming a type 2 diabetic.  He went from skinny to obese.
I had another relative who started off skinny but got into bodybuilding and now he looks like the Incredible Hulk....lol.
But MOST people I know have kept the same body type.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:38 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Ofcourse.
He wants to keep you to himself.

He doesn't want you to turn into another Jennifer Hudson.

🤣 You're probably right!

On 3/24/2023 at 9:38 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Losing a lot of weight and next thing you know you're all over the place running around in bikinis kicking your legs and grinning.
A lot of people change their personalities after losing a lot of weight.

IDK. I was extremely thin most of my life until I started having children. So, If I were to drop some pounds, I don't think it would affect me to the point where I would get out of hand. But my husband probably thinks like you @Pioneer1

• Like 1

I happened to come across this thick African sista a few minutes ago on Youtube:

Now she obviously has a lot of body fat, but should we call her "obese"?

Her body index probably would classify her as such but if you look at her bone structure and how wide her butt and hips are, despite the crotch grabbing....she's obviously wonderfully made (in my opinion atleast) and looked pretty healthy.
Her fat is "firm" and not hanging off of her in blobs like melted cheese.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Now she obviously has a lot of body fat, but should we call her "obese"?

Her body index probably would classify her as such but if you look at her bone structure....

We don't have to call her obese but her doctor will. 🤣

Your eyesight is hella good if you can see her bone structure.😁

Her skeleton will look a lot different and bare little or no resemblance to her human outfit.

The frame of a human being can carry a lot of weight. Most overweight folks are fat.  Athletic built folks are muscular.😎

You can kinda of tell her bone structure by how wide her hips are and how round that butt is.

I don't give a damn how fat a woman gets, if the bones aren't right on her hips and tail bone....that fat won't hold up.
It'll sag and bag.

Also you can look at her face, her jaw line....and tell how much of that is fat vs her natural structure.
Her face is pretty smooth, no double and triple chins.
No ploppy jaws wiggling and jiggling as she moves.

She just doesn't look or move around like an "obese" person, she seems to be in her natural weight.

Several factors play a part in human size and shape but a few are genetics, diet and exercise.

Obesity as defined was codified by the  medical community decades ago.

However, we have the latitude of rejecting the definition of obesity when it comes to personal preferences.😁😎

Also, we must question those DOING the defining and codifications.

It is well known in even the Western scientific community that:

1. African people tend to have denser and heavier bones than Caucasians.
2. AfroAmericans including the women tend to have more muscle mass than Caucasians.

These 2 acknowledged scientific facts SHOULD be taken into account with evaluating AfroAmericans as to whether they're obese or not.
You can't paint everyone with the same broad brush.

Look at Oprah Winfrey.
She was overweight...and what some call obese.  But when she lost most of her weight she just didn't look right because her head was too big for her body.