Educationism

Neely Fuller Jr. says that no one is truly "educated" until they have gotten everything they want and need in life.
Until then, they are merely EDUCATING themselves.

We must also differentiate true EDUCATION from merely academic INDOCTRINATION.
:
A lot of times when you go to these public Universities, they don't actually educate you and teach you what you need to know to be successful in life.
They merely INDOCTRINATE you with a bunch of lies, false history, and propaganda and if you can remember it and repeat it back to them then you graduate.
But you don't gain REAL KNOWLEDGE that can actually help you or your community.
You often have to learn that on your own by doing your own research or experimentation.

• Thanks 1

ln this regard black people are no different from whites. The kind of elitism that comes from being college educated hinders our relationships with each other and the struggle for Black Freedom. A lot of well off educated blacks only want the benefits of the system rather than changing the system so that black people benefit collectively.

There are plenty of intelligent, hard working, and effective people doing all kinds of things for themselves and other black people. These people have never been to college. We need them and their contributions as much as anybody with a degree. While we have always had these divisions as black people, it's important to be aware and strive to bridge the gap.

• Thanks 1

Growing up in Detroit I remember the tail end of the 70s, and the 80s where a lot of Black people with barely a highschool education (and many didn't even have that) who were able to buy houses, buy a new car every 3 years, took care of their families, and even save up enough money to buy their own businesses from the money they were making working at these different car factories.

They didn't need a college degree.
Strong unions and plenty of jobs.

Contrast that with the 90s where a lot of their children went off to college, got useless degrees, and came back home and couldn't find jobs in their professions and ended up selling dope, losing their parent's homes, and going to prison or ending up homeless.

This isn't 100% of the cases obviously, a lot of Black children who went to college ended up living successful lives.....but most didn't.
Just racked up a lot of student loan debt.

Going to college and getting a lot of education is great if you're going to be a doctor or scientist or engineer, other than that....business ownership, skilled trades, and manual labor that pays decently should be a goal for most.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2023 at 7:31 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Growing up in Detroit I remember the tail end of the 70s, and the 80s where a lot of Black people with barely a highschool education (and many didn't even have that) who were able to buy houses, buy a new car every 3 years, took care of their families, and even save up enough money to buy their own businesses from the money they were making working at these different car factories.

They didn't need a college degree.
Strong unions and plenty of jobs.

Contrast that with the 90s where a lot of their children went off to college, got useless degrees, and came back home and couldn't find jobs in their professions and ended up selling dope, losing their parent's homes, and going to prison or ending up homeless.

This isn't 100% of the cases obviously, a lot of Black children who went to college ended up living successful lives.....but most didn't.
Just racked up a lot of student loan debt.

Going to college and getting a lot of education is great if you're going to be a doctor or scientist or engineer, other than that....business ownership, skilled trades, and manual labor that pays decently should be a goal for most.

Many young people enroll in college, but not always can finish it or study with high grades. And that's not the most important thing. A student can attend classes, have problems in many subjects simultaneously, and always look for an answer: how will I do my homework? I believe that the most important thing a college can give is to teach young people to find ways to self-realize in life, not specific knowledge and facts. And it doesn't matter what the grades are. For example, I came across this site https://assignmentbro.com/us/do-my-homework once and realized that students have simple ways to improve their results. It all depends on their desire and motivation. But these grades are not decisive in building a professional career. This requires a certain wisdom and awareness of realities.

It's essential to recognize that college isn't for everyone and that there are alternative paths to success that don't require a degree. While college may not be necessary for specific careers, it can provide valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied in various fields. It's all about finding the right path for each individual based on their interests, abilities, and available opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi @Kathleen I see this your 4th post, but the first one I've read, so please excuse my tardy welcome to the forums 🙂

On 3/26/2023 at 8:20 AM, KENNETH said:

A lot of well off educated blacks only want the benefits of the system rather than changing the system so that black people benefit collectively.

College teaches you how to work for someone else, to be an effective corporate tool.  Learning to change the system, or even understanding why it needs to be changed is not part of the program.

@Pioneer1 your comparison between the past and today's opportunities resonates.  I also believe there is some grade inflation going on:  Someone who graduated from high school in the 50's is as well "educated" as someone with a college degree in the humanities today. Don't ask me to cite a study or prove what I just wrote; it just seems that way.  Maybe @Cynique can provide some insight on this observation.

Meanwhile, colleges have lost their way; for example, It is obscene what many schools spend to field a football team, while charging exorbitant tuition and fees to students. Many of these students don't graduate or come away with a degree that does not server them in the marketplace or for staring their own business.

I have two masters degrees (engineering and business).  I have never had a job that actually required anything I learned in college.  For me the degree was a credential required to get in the door -- one many of my white peers did not require.  I learned everything I needed to know on the job.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Troy

College teaches you how to work for someone else, to be an effective corporate tool.  Learning to change the system, or even understanding why it needs to be changed is not part of the program.

image.png.9f68e1b726a5991ed3e39ceeb8d2d651.png

Exactly!

It teaches you how to organize information, meet deadlines, and follow directions.
It doesn't teach you how to develop your creativity or resourcefulness -which are usually required to be TRULY successful in this society.

This is why if you notice not only through out history but even today, most of the self-made millionaires and billionaires had little or no college.  

As long as you know how to talk to people and count money...lol.

@Pioneer1 your comparison between the past and today's opportunities resonates.  I also believe there is some grade inflation going on:  Someone who graduated from high school in the 50's is as well "educated" as someone with a college degree in the humanities today. Don't ask me to cite a study or prove what I just wrote; it just seems that way.

Look who's using the anecdotes to prove his point NOW..lol.

Not only that, they seem to have much better handwritting and write neater and in a more linear fashion than those who went to school after 1970.
Look at the handwritting of those over 80 years old and how neat and orderly it is.

The teachers also CORRECTED you on your poor English if they heard you speaking it; something they don't do anymore.

Kids today running around talking like slaves who just staggard off some plantation.

image.png.31498225238ca2fccab88ebd16a69c4c.png

"Aye nigga....Aye daawwwg.
Whatcho' name is? 
I know you!
I seent' you befoe' but  I forgot yo' name doe' .
But fa' real fa' real....whatcho' name is ??"

You'd think schools didn't even exist.
The government just maintains them for day care centers.

Schools (pre-K thru high school) exist to teach students the basics of how to read, write, count and communicate in order to function in a developed society. Otherwise, schools are also glorified day care centers. 🤣

Colleges and universities exist to provide 1) employment for a whole lotta folks, 2) networking center and 3) hand out degrees which are lottery tickets into the workforce.

There's no guarantee that a job exists on the other side of that lottery ticket, er, degree. See #2 above.

Technical schools are fading fast and there's a reason for that too. Most blue collar jobs can be learned via apprenticeship which is on the job training.

It only takes a company's willingness to hire amd train individuals who have a desire and/or ability to learn that particular trade.

Teaching a trade was farmed out to institutions. However, once blue collar jobs were shipped overseas and/or automated and cheap labor could be imported from other countries, there goes Made in the USA.

In a few years, the American workforce is going to be in a whole lot of pain. The country will end up with a bunch of educated people and no real job opportunities. Look no further than self-checkout in stores.

It will be commonplace to find  folks with degrees working at Starbucks or in some form of retail. Especially those people with degrees that are not math, science, medical or computer related.

Computers and AI (artificial intelligence) will be doing most of the work that doesn't require solving problems through critical thinking and/or getting one's hands dirty. 

Yet, there's no shortage of things that need to be done i.e. jobs in this country. Those individuals who can see the *problems* that need to be solved and/or innovations to be made will be OK.  Jeff Bezos is killing the game right now.

The folks waving around a meaningless piece of paper might be able to get work as a janitor providing the company hasn't bought a robot to collect trash, sweep and mop floors and clean toilets.

The key to survival is being able to meet and fulfill opportunities that exist and/or creating opportunities that do not exist i.e. solving problems. There's no shortage of them. Education is a small piece of the puzzle.😎

On 5/6/2023 at 2:58 AM, Troy said:

I have never had a job that actually required anything I learned in college.  

Accreditation is both a pedigree and a way of putting people in categories. A major component of school is about making you a productive worker. A degree trains you in the jargon of your field. It also is about making contacts which is more important than a diploma.

If your focus is more about working than a trade school is a better option. 

I found school useful for broadening my intellectual pallet. In addition I met people I wouldn't have otherwise met. You get the chance to meet 30 people every class.

Well this is what Neely Fuller Jr. has to say about Black folks seeking an education from Whites:

https://api.yttrim.com/return-files/eQS3U4lZ-qk_144_1035_1145.mp4

@frankster this clip also touches a little bit on what we've been talking about.

Del

Accreditation is both a pedigree and a way of putting people in categories. A major component of school is about making you a productive worker.

Lol...you could have ended it right there, because that's the truth.

It also is about making contacts which is more important than a diploma.

In addition I met people I wouldn't have otherwise met. You get the chance to meet 30 people every class.

While this is true to a certain extent, it only benefits you if you UNDERSTAND the value of making connections....which most students don't at 18, 19, or 20.
Especially if they come from poor and working class backgrounds.

For wealthy students with well connected parents who go to prestigious Universities.....YES...it's about the connections.
For poor students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds who go to community colleges and public/state universities....not so much.

On 5/7/2023 at 6:09 PM, Pioneer1 said:

Well this is what Neely Fuller Jr. has to say about Black folks seeking an education from Whites:

https://api.yttrim.com/return-files/eQS3U4lZ-qk_144_1035_1145.mp4

@frankster this clip also touches a little bit on what we've been talking about.

Cannot access clip.....

On 5/7/2023 at 6:09 PM, Pioneer1 said:

frankster

That was my attempt at using some new technology I found on the web where I THOUGHT I could cut and crop a piece of a youtube video and post it. 
That way I didn't have to include the entire remainder of the video that is usually irrelevant to what I'm referencing, but I guess something went wrong.

On 5/7/2023 at 10:02 PM, ProfD said:

Schools (pre-K thru high school) exist to teach students the basics of how to read, write, count and communicate in order to function in a developed society. Otherwise, schools are also glorified day care centers. 🤣

Colleges and universities exist to provide 1) employment for a whole lotta folks, 2) networking center and 3) hand out degrees which are lottery tickets into the workforce.

There's no guarantee that a job exists on the other side of that lottery ticket, er, degree. See #2 above.

Technical schools are fading fast and there's a reason for that too. Most blue collar jobs can be learned via apprenticeship which is on the job training.

It only takes a company's willingness to hire amd train individuals who have a desire and/or ability to learn that particular trade.

Teaching a trade was farmed out to institutions. However, once blue collar jobs were shipped overseas and/or automated and cheap labor could be imported from other countries, there goes Made in the USA.

In a few years, the American workforce is going to be in a whole lot of pain. The country will end up with a bunch of educated people and no real job opportunities. Look no further than self-checkout in stores.

It will be commonplace to find  folks with degrees working at Starbucks or in some form of retail. Especially those people with degrees that are not math, science, medical or computer related.

Computers and AI (artificial intelligence) will be doing most of the work that doesn't require solving problems through critical thinking and/or getting one's hands dirty. 

Yet, there's no shortage of things that need to be done i.e. jobs in this country. Those individuals who can see the *problems* that need to be solved and/or innovations to be made will be OK.  Jeff Bezos is killing the game right now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

And you know, nowadays education is not that accessible to everyone. It's pretty expensive, and it requires a lot of effort to get that Diploma, and not everyone will be able to face such pressure. For me, it's very hard to be a student from time to time, especially when it's the end of term, and I have a lot of deadlines. And when I have writing tasks, then I feel worse because I feel like failing. Now my skills are better, of course, but still, it's hard for me. I'm actually working on one of the final papers, and this link provided me with useful SWOT analysis essay examples, which helped me to move from the dead spot and finish that task. But I'll be honest; sometimes, I want to drop out because of the stress I can't handle. And you know, there are too many such tasks, and sometimes you don't have enough time to learn something more important. So something important can be missed, which will have an influence on the future.                                                                                      

The folks waving around a meaningless piece of paper might be able to get work as a janitor providing the company hasn't bought a robot to collect trash, sweep and mop floors and clean toilets.

The key to survival is being able to meet and fulfill opportunities that exist and/or creating opportunities that do not exist i.e. solving problems. There's no shortage of them. Education is a small piece of the puzzle.😎

You are so right about it. Education is only a small piece in the whole "picture". But it has a role, and that role is still important