About Salem, and mental health , give it a look

I just love this shows question and answer format. 

circa 10:25

Was Tituba setting up the plate for chaos? yes she is being interregated, but her story seems to fuel the fire, was it intentional?

mental health, i hope all of you shared the prior post i made to black women to participate. 

https://radar.tumblr.com/post/712970298216136704/i-have-adhd-and-i-find-myself-distracted-calmed

AL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

https://postitforward.tumblr.com/tagged/black girls breathing x tumblr

Lol....Is this thread about Tituba and the Salem witch trials, or about Black girls with ADHD????

I read a book a long time ago about a Black maid named Tituba who was working for a family in New England and used some sort of Hoodoo involving dog pee to put a spell on the family she worked for.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 3:28 PM, richardmurray said:

ca 10:25

Was Tituba setting up the plate for chaos? yes she is being interregated, but her story seems to fuel the fire, was it intentional?

Oh! This subject is so fasinating to me. @richardmurray

I listen to the whole video and what I did not hear though was what happened to the slave Tituba. Was she convicted? Did she hang?

I wonder if there is a good movie about this witch trial.

What immediately comes to my mind when I hear about this historical period, no joke[!]--is Bette Middler! LOL.

I think about the movie Hocus Pocus. 

But on the serious side, as a substitute teacher, I learned about the period during the time of King Henry XIII, Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I, and the trial and execution of a young girl who was only fifteen years old. Those were some tough times.

It's good thing that those trial were not part of the deep south because there would have been a lot of victims down there!

I can see the correlation to this topic with the 'Black Girls Breathing' and dealing with mental health issues when it comes to Black women.

I feel so sorry for Tituba! What a depressing fate. 

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

the speaker said only one didn't hang and that was a white woman cause her husband spoke for her. but most of the men said they knew their wives were witches

Oh! So tragic. Thanks for the clarification @richardmurray

I hear the speaker say that one woman sort of became the one that set the scene and realized it was Tituba, but I had thought she spoke about it 5 or 6 years prior to it spinning out of control. 

Also, I thought the speaker said it was a 100% conviction rate. The one woman, Rebecca Nurse (?) was 71 years old and initially, she was found to be innocent but the Chief Justice sent the jury back to deliberate more and then she was found guilty. Then at some point her husband appealed and she was again foun innocent, but then later she too, was found guilty ultimately and she was hung. That's what I thought I heard. I'm going to listen again. 

21 hours ago, richardmurray said:

:)  yes, 

@Pioneer1

I put them together. I felt both were lean on their own, so just put both.

that book was inspired by the real tituba:) can you remember any more? 

I remember reading about the Salem witch trials years ago and they claimed it was started by Tituba who was a maid from the Caribbean.
They said she got angry at the White family she was working for and cast a spell on them using dog pee.  They said the first to feel the effects were the girls of the family who started acting crazy.
It was probably more myth than reality.
Just an attempt to blame everything bad some Black person, like they usually like to do.
I heard she was mixed race as well.

@Pioneer1 at least from this author's words, tituba didn't start it, not in the least. it was started in a white pastors home. but what the author admits is tituba's claims were the most flamboyant or extravagant. Tituba didn't start it but tituba stoked it better than any other. And it wasn't anger at the white family, it was anger at the white community. One of the tragedies of modernity is black people living today don't seem to comprehend how enslaved black people hated whites. Maybe it is just hard for most modern black folks to accept such hate in the hearts our forebears when we have grandmothers talking about don't hate. 

6 hours ago, richardmurray said:

yeah tituba, in my view, realized what was happening and embraced the chaos. Thus accusing many out of pure instigation.

I would love to see a movie or read more details about her life.

So sad. 

1 hour ago, richardmurray said:

And it wasn't anger at the white family, it was anger at the white community. One of the tragedies of modernity is black people living today don't seem to comprehend how enslaved black people hated whites.

To think that she was so trapped as a slave and then made statements that became part of this event. so sad. 

@Chevdove yeah, the behind your birth time machine. 

The problem with people in history like Tituba is all that is known is irrelevant to knowing who she is. 

this is why I emphasize to all black people, leave a diary. Not for sale, not for making money, for making a record of you by you. This is not about getting an a or making a thesis for review to earn a piece of paper from a school, this is about comprehending that knowing who someone is , does not derive from the paper trail. Their travel log doesn't display who they are. census does not display who they are. a diary displays who you are.

well, yes, in some ways I find a lot of value in her testimony, not truth in what it says but in truth in what it derives. here is an enslaved woman, unhappy/angry/bitter and she must have realized this is her chance to cause havoc.  I find comfort in the truth of her actions. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I absolutely love the Q&A format! The depth of discussions, especially around Tituba's role, adds an intriguing layer. Mental health is crucial, and your post encouraging participation is spot on. I also have some issues, but thanks to one service (https://releaf.co.uk/education/medical/pain/endometriosis/cbd-dosage-for-endometriosis), I can have some CBD for relief. Let's keep these conversations flowing!

• Like 1