Lil Nas X, uh uh uh...

C is for CountryJust a few minutes ago I added a book to the site, C Is for Country by Lil Nas X. I have not seen the physical book, but after living in Oklahoma for a year and a half and attending my first Black rodeo, I learned there is what I'll call a modern "horse culture" that I did not recall seeing in a children's books, and felt it was important to have this book added to the site.

I discovered C Is for Country after learning more about the book illustrator, Theodore Taylor III.  Theo is a prolific children's book illustrator whose work was inadequately reflected on this site given his contributions to Black children's literature.

I was already familiar with Lil Nas X as a result of Grammy award winning song Old Town Road  I added the Video to Lil Nas' page. 

This video was queued up next the preview thumb nail image (shown below) stuck me.  I was like WTF is this?!  The Old Town Road video did not reflect anything that the video YouTube queued up video preview suggested. 

When videos are added to YouTube you can define the preview image and it is obvious this preview image was selected to attract attention, bolstered by Google's algorithm the video has been viewed over 430 million times in the past year.  Interestingly, the video has also raised more that $77K for the The Bail Project. 

I could not help but think of @Pioneer1 theories when watching the video.  I'm also curious to read what people think about the shower scene in this music video.  It seems gratuitous, though I assume gay men might disagree... What do you women think? 

We BEEN known this fool was a problem, but the White folks support and protect him to push their agenda.

I too am curious about what the women think, however I wouldn't be surprised if most women supported him.
Not just because women tend to be more tolerant; but a lot of women in this society have been conditioned to prefer dealing with a FEMINIZED Black man over a MASCULINE one.
Not all, but many.
You see it at work, on the street, on television, etc....

I don't have an opinion right now about the shower scene. @Troy

But, that was a strange video.

The men wore pink prison suits!!!

I'm not familiar with Lil Nas. I've heard of his name, but this is the first time I've seen anything

about him. But I think his video has a deep revelation about how America has progressed since it began!

I think that this was what the Europeans wanted in the first place.

They wanted to kill/genocide the Black man's [spirit] and effeminize them. And the prison system was one of the most

affective systems to aid in this goal. Now this homosexual culture is a hallmark of the American dream for Black men

and for many Black males, they were born into this conditioning. It's an American way of life. 

It's like watching a new version of the ancient Greek world.

There was a time that I was angry about this, but now, I don't really care, because I have come

to believe that the White racist will ultimately fail in their endeavors to destroy all Black people and dash the natural spirit 

of the anatomically straight male YDNA creation. 

But they can fool some Black people all of the time, and

all of the Black people some of the time, but

they can't fool all of the Black people all of the time.

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

FEMINIZED Black man over a MASCULINE one.

I've been asking women who they found more sexy Idris Elba (masculine) or Prince (feminine).  Surprisingly (to me) Prince ranks higher. Sure this is anecdotal, but nonetheless interesting.

I thought my pop culture quote was low @Chevdove Lil Nas X gained a great deal of popularity he & Billy Ray Cyrus won a Best Music Video Of The Year in 2020.

Women who feel they were victimized by masculinity and patriarchy will have resentment for it. 

Women who were not reared and raised in a healthy masculine and patriarchal environment will have little or no respect for it. 

Mostly AfroAmerican women have *issues* with masculinity and patriarchy because it has failed them in one way or another. 

As American women mostly white are pushing this toxic masculinity narrative notice how it adversely affects Black men the most. 

Just like women's rights in the 1960s, white men are allowing a few women to talk this BS and some even support it.  That movement was lumped in with  Civil Rights.

But, as a whole, white folks know better...they are always on code.  That's why the majority of white folks act in a traditional manner.  Same goes for other cultures.

Meanwhile, we have a bunch of AfroAmerican women running around playing dual roles and claiming they are strong

OTOH, we have a bunch of effeminate dudes running around and some are pretending to be women. 

There's a reason that it takes a man and woman to bring life into the world.  They each play a role in the nurturing and development of that human being.

The absence of a strong masculine and patriarchal presence will lead to confusion in both males and females.😎

Men need to stay mum when it comes to the subject  of masculinity which is all about mystique. Your antennae are not fine tuned enough to pick up the  sparks  Prince gives off.  i don't find Idris Elba especially appealing.  Prince has more animal magnetism; more like a sensuous tiger. Garb  is just superficial. LIl  NasX is, what he is. A character.

Never under estimate the power of female intuition. And there's a difference between being strong and being capable. Also masochism is a psychosis that afflicts a lot of women.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cynique said:

Prince has more animal magnetism; more like a sensuous tiger. Garb  is just superficial. LIl  NasX is, what he is. A character.

Agreed. There's is a huge difference between the androgeny of Prince who was still masculine and the character Lil Nas X has chosen to portray.😁😎

@Chevdove

But they can fool some Black people all of the time, and

all of the Black people some of the time, but

they can't fool all of the Black people all of the time.

Lincoln will be proud:) 

@Delano haha,the comedian :)  I argue prince has done things, like throw vanity in the pool which inspired the scene in purple rain <prince said this himself>, that many women today might call cancelable behavior. I recall elton john saying he went backstage to congratulate prince when he had the slave on his buttocks and elton john said Prince ran from him. Madonna said, when she went on a date with him he just sat there quiet, sipping his drink. Lionel Richie said he asked PRince but prince didn't want to do the chorus, but offered to do a guitar solo, but they only offered the chorus spot so he said no.   From what music superstars, including prince, said prince was heterosexual but also proud while confident in himself. 

Rather than saying a lot of "women" thought Prince was very attractive, it would be more appropriate and specific to say a lot of "AFROAMERICAN women" thought Prince was sexy and very attractive!

What do I mean?

I'm almost certain that most women around the world, including most African and Caribbean women WOULD NOT find a feminine damn-near woman looking man "attractive" and sexy.  
They would think you were joking if you even showed them his picture and asked them.
Hell, even most White women in the U.S. probably wouldn't.

But because Prince was light skinned and kept his hair straight most of the time.....
And because a lot of AfroAmerican women have been conditioned to subconsciously see White women as the epitome of beauty AS WELL as find light skinned men with straight hair attractive......then THEY find Prince attractive and sexy.

Although I love and respect my sistaz......let's remember that AfroAmerican women aren't the ONLY women on this planet so what THEY find attractive doesn't always line up with what MOST women find attractive.

Generations of conditioning have twisted the priorities of a lot of our sistaz to the point that what most women traditionally find attractive in a man.....muscles, deep voice, strength, etc....has been replaced by light skinned, straight hair, hazel eyes, and high pitched voice  (Prince).
Which explains why many prefer a PRETTY man over a MASCULINE man....a pathology.

I heard a female panelist break down Prince's appeal. He begs from a position of strength. Listen to the end of Beautiful Ones.

A coworker told me If I was your girlfriend sounds like an orgasm. The brain is the biggest sex organ. And Prince mines this, with his inversion of perceived sex roles. So he is appealing to the that inner wild woman that wants to break the rules. Maybe he appeals to women because he gets their frequency. 

I don't think there  is a comparison between an actor who was voted sexiest man. And the Man who is without question a musical genius.  I am biased being a former fan of pre Diamond and Pearls Prince.  He is in that rare category of performer that transcends their Genre: Maya Angelou; Muhammad Ali, Pele Aretha Franklin Richard Pryor  Miles Davis. They are Iconic. And so dope that you have to acknowledge their greatness. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

African and Caribbean women WOULD NOT find a feminine damn-near woman looking man "attractive" and sexy.  

I guess it depends upon how much they have been influenced by American culture, which you see through the global Black diaspora.

22 hours ago, Cynique said:

Men need to stay mum when it comes to the subject  of masculinity

After almost 20 years of reading your often impressive posts, I must say that statement is the first one I could think of that does not make sense.  Who else, besides men, should control the subject of the very thing that defines us, masculinity.  Obviously, men will disagree on the subject, but we must be the ones to control the narrative and define what is means to be masculine.  

Now a man running around in high heals, a blouse and mascara. Might be sexy to women but most men would not define that as masculine. 

Since you are not in the habit of making nonsensical statements I clearly missed something...what was it?

Of course Prince was a great musician.

Based upon what I'm reading from you @Delano is that if Price were not the gifted artist that he was... in other words if was was an average mope flipping burgers and Denny's he'd lose most of his sex appeal.

Once thing that seems to be true is that masculinity has little to do with sex appeal.

Through when I was much younger I recall women buying into the notion that they want a little thug in their men.  Though during the same time the "pretty boys" -- pulled a lot of women too...

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:56 AM, Troy said:

I've been asking women who they found more sexy Idris Elba (masculine) or Prince (feminine).  Surprisingly (to me) Prince ranks higher. Sure this is anecdotal, but nonetheless interesting.

Ah! @Troy I can see why Prince would rank higher because this comparison can be viewed in more than one way.

Prince made himself flashy so in comparison to Idris Elba, I can see why some may have chosen Prince. 

However, for me, Idris Elba has more sex appeal. And if he should one day choose to straighten his hair, where heavy makeup, and wear flashy, sequenced clothes like a 'rhinestone cowboy', then I would view Idris Elba as having the same amount of sex appeal as Prince. 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:56 AM, Troy said:

Lil Nas X gained a great deal of popularity he & Billy Ray Cyrus won a Best Music Video Of The Year in 2020.

Never heard of this song or seen the video until now. I think this is nice! 

19 hours ago, richardmurray said:

Lincoln will be proud:) 

Lol @richardmurray you're probably right. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Troy said:

I must say that statement is the first one I could think of that does not make sense.  Who else, besides men, should control the subject of the very thing that defines us, masculinity.  Obviously, men will disagree on the subject, but we must be the ones to control the narrative and define what is means to be masculine.  

Every individual is free to decide their definitions on any number of subjects. And While individual definition can effect universal ones., you can in no way expect that your definition become the standard. This is moderated with Icons.

In order to communicate there has to be standards. Deviants can still communicate with the norms, it just requires understanding and acceptance.

@Troy you in particular and Men in general can define masculinity however you choose. If you want or need women to accept your definition you may run into difficulty. It i easier to change your pool of prospects than to change your ideals.

in addition homosexual men may have a different view of Masculinity than Heterosexual men. There are heterosexual women that are attracted to guy men. Just as there are men who fantasize about Nuns. There is a frisson created when the object of your afection is in some way transgressive or contrary to the more, practices and customs for your group.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Delano said:

you can in no way expect that your definition become the standard.

Where did I write or suggest that @Delano?  Even if I were unclear, or your lens misinterpreted the meaning of what I wrote, I think you know me well enough to know that I would not suggest, or even want, my definition to become the standard for everyone else.

I never  expressed an opinion in what manhood should mean.  What I did say was that men should make that determination, which was in direct reaction to Cynique's statement, "Men need to stay mum when it comes to the subject  of masculinity..." 

If I wrote, "women should keep quite when it comes to femininity...,"  that would sound crazy wouldn't it?

Maybe you can relate on this level; on a smaller scale @Delano you should get to determine who Del is -- no one else should have that capability that is tantamount to taking away your freedom.  Do you agree?

I said what i said because, to me,  males associate  masculinity with a facade,  Whereas to women it is a stimulation.  To us the opposite of masculine isn't necessarily feminine, it's - "meh",  A woman can look at a gay man and wish he was straight because she'd like to get next to him, Males just can't seem to get around masculinity being about conducting themselves like a man rather than respiring with  a certain chemistry. 

Yes, these generalities have a lot to do with separating sexiness from masculinity and, as  the opinions of a soon-to-be-90-year-old, are not carved in stone; only in the rock garden of my psyche. 

On 4/15/2023 at 6:05 AM, Troy said:

@Delano is that if Price were not the gifted artist that he was... in other words if was was an average mope flipping burgers and Denny's he'd lose most of his sex appeal.

Power is sexy, style is sexy, humor is sexy, intelligence is sexy, creativity is sexy,  being poor is not sexy.

Obviously, men will disagree on the subject, but we must be the ones to control the narrative and define what is means to be masculine.  

Substitute men and masculine with Black. I'll repost what i wrote earlier. It may make more sense.

On 4/15/2023 at 11:12 AM, Delano said:

@Troy you in particular and Men in general can define masculinity however you choose. If you want or need women to accept your definition you may run into difficulty. It i easier to change your pool of prospects than to change your ideals.

you in particular and Blacks in general can define Blackness however you choose. If you want or need Whites to accept your definition you may run into difficulty. It i easier to change your pool of prospects than to change your ideals.

@Troy I don't think men can tell women what is acceptable as masculinity, attractive or sexy. What is that old saying. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But again, the point I'm making that seems to be getting ignored...........

Show me the White women, Latino women, or even Black women from OUTSIDE of the United States who thought Prince was sexy.
I'm sure a couple exist, but not nearly the amount that exists among AfroAmerican women.

You must ask yourself WHY this disparity.

I'm sure the answers are related to the same reasons so many of our sistaz find thugs attractive.

4 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Show me the White women, Latino women, or even Black women from OUTSIDE of the United States who thought Prince was sexy.

Surely, you're not asking for a statistical survey. 🤣

However, Prince fans and concert-goers were women of all nationalities. Surely, many among them thought he was sexy. 

But, considering that Prince and gone and so are some of his fans too or they've gotten older...it's a moot point. 😎

43 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Surely, you're not asking for a statistical survey. 🤣

Clearly!  Data means nothing to this man 🙂

@Pioneer1 you may be right, but we can't really know.  I would not be surprised that woman outside of the U.S. would not find a  physically effeminate man, like Prince, sexy. 

11 hours ago, Delano said:

Substitute men and masculine with Black.

Again, you can fill-in-the-blank with anything and my opinion holds.  

If you want or need Whites to accept your definition you may run into difficulty.

Of course. Indeed that is one of the reason a site like AALBC needs to exist.  

I don't think men can tell women what is acceptable as masculinity, attractive or sexy.

OK I see the disconnect.  I was talking about men defining masculinity, while you and @Cynique were describing sex appeal.  I do not think a man can determine what a woman finds sexy.  

What a woman finds sexy (want to breed with) are the attributes men will try to enhance -- otherwise they will be naturally selected out of the gene pool.

Here is a theory:  Since most men are not trying to present the way Prince does, one can assume that this is not a technique that will attract women. 

It is Prince's, wealth, power,  and musical talent that women really find sexy.  The typical man has no problem trying to develop these qualities because they definitely attract women and they also happen to be masculine traits.  This is not by accident. 

21 hours ago, Cynique said:

Yes, these generalities have a lot to do with separating sexiness from masculinity...

Yes, I think I understand your point now.

ProfD

I'm sure a lot of women of all nationalities and racse liked him for his talents, he was truly gifted.
But outside of the 'hood, most women around the planet weren't laying up in bed fantasizing about this brutha:

image.png.b968bdfacc9eb5aa12f3e1189ec0bbb6.png

"How can you just
leave me standing?"

....tossing them up in the bedroom..

Troy

you may be right, but we can't really know.

All we have to do is just ASK them.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

OK I see the disconnect.

No the disconnect for me is that you want women to take your opinion into account. I don't think you can define how someone else sees you.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

What a woman finds sexy (want to breed with) are the attributes men will try to enhance

A had a lesbian coming on to me. I am certain she didn't want to breed with me. I neither wanted to have children with her nor be intimate with her.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

What a woman finds sexy (want to breed with) are the attributes men will try to enhance

Not me. If I have to change to be attractive then she isn't attracted to me. What's that line. You're perfect now change

12 hours ago, Troy said:

What a woman finds sexy (want to breed with) are the attributes men will try to enhance -- otherwise they will be naturally selected out of the gene pool.

It may come as a surprise but not all intercourse is about procreation sometimes it is recreation. Up until I was 42 my goal was not for intercourse  to contribute to the gene pool.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

Here is a theory:  Since most men are not trying to present the way Prince does, one can assume that this is not a technique that will attract women. 

12 hours ago, Troy said:

It is Prince's, wealth, power,  and musical talent that women really find sexy

I will tell what some women have told me they thought was sexy. Intelligence, a smooth dancer roller skater, arrogance, style, money, power, musical ability. Also I have noticed that criminality and aggresiveness is attractive. Bad Boys have appeal ,even though the may not be the long term choice.
Also I had a woman tell me scruffy shoes was a turn off.

@Troy I am glad there are women that don't share your viewpoint. More than a few.

7 hours ago, Delano said:

No the disconnect for me is that you want women to take your opinion into account.

No, you keep screwing up my opinion.  Stated plainly.  I think men need to define what it means to be masculine.  Women define what they find sexy and who to copulate with.

I'm not understanding why you keep writing I want women to take my opinion into account.  If a man's definition of masculinity does not appeal to women, we will adjust accordingly.  You can't force someone to like something they don't like.  That leads to incel groups, rape, and all forms of dysfunction.

Not me. If I have to change to be attractive then she isn't attracted to me.

That is you as an individual. I'm talking about men in general.  Some individuals don't even desire sex. Some men want to attract a mate but consistently fail.  I'm talking about the general case.  

In general, effeminate men (barring any other beneficial characteristics including wealth, power, or musical genius) will have more difficulty that a man with more traditional masculine characteristics.  One would think this is common sense.  

It may come as a surprise but not all intercourse is about procreation sometimes it is recreation.

Del, the reason people have a desire to knock boots is biological. The underlying reason for this is biology is procreation.  

@Troy I am glad there are women that don't share your viewpoint. More than a few.

Damn Del -- ME TOO, because I'm not a woman!  

Also I had a woman tell me scruffy shoes was a turn off.

Yeah, I've had women tell me the first thing they look at on a man is his shoes.  I've heard this so many times it is a cliché. But I tell you what, when I'm on the prowl, my shoes are together.  That comedian's joke was funny 😉

17 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

But outside of the 'hood, most women around the planet weren't laying up in bed fantasizing about this brutha

Having grown up in the 'hood it was not true there either. 

@Delano would you trade your body for Prince's?  Do you think it would help or hurt your ability to attract a woman as a sex partner? 

@Pioneer1, you've described yourself as not the most handsome dude in the room, would you trade with Prince? 

Who else, besides men, should control the subject of the very thing that defines us, masculinity.  Obviously, men will disagree on the subject, but we must be the ones to control the narrative and define what is means to be masculine.  

3 hours ago, Troy said:

If a man's definition of masculinity does not appeal to women, we will adjust accordingly. 

Can you demonstrate the unity of these two statements that appear to be in opposition  ?

@Delano you have a habit of dodging questions that will ultimately require you to rethink your position, a trait you share with our buddy  @Pioneer1😉

I'll answer your question; (a) men define masculinity; (b) if men's determination of masculinity and the resulting characteristics and behavior is not attracting women, men will adjust.

Men might like to wear shoes that are "talking," but men would also have to understand that might keep them from getting laid. Men must decide what they want more.

I hope that helps.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, Troy said:

@Pioneer1, you've described yourself as not the most handsome dude in the room, would you trade with Prince? 

No way.
Not just for his body but even if you throw in his fame and money I wouldn't want to be him.
HIs body looked too frail in my opinion.

It may sound cliche but I've been in this body for so long, I like being ME in this world.

I don't get called ugly as much as an adult as I did when I was a kid....lol.
Perhaps because adults tend to be more "polite" but I'd like to think that maturing has given more definition to my looks.

16 hours ago, Delano said:

Does that mean you might wear a frilly blouse for a woman. 

It depends on the woman 🙂

Seriously, it also depends upon the culture and the period.  Here in America, were men wore what could be considered frilly blouses it was a sign of high social standing -- a definite babe magnet.

Today men know wearing a frilly blouse is not masculine and will likely repel most women.  But this is changing as marketers push men to wear more feminine clothing.

@Delano you will probably disagree with this, but I'll let you in on a secret... most women are attracted to masculine men (as defined by current cultural standards). Of course, this is not universally true.  This is obvious to most people.   Now if the feminine man can also sing, dance, is a celebrity, and has a boatload of money all bets are off.

15 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

Not just for his body but even if you throw in his fame and money I wouldn't want to be him.

I hear you man; really anyone with a modicum of self-esteem would not want to trade with anyone.  My question was really just to get Del to see that he would not want to be a 5'2" man (all due respect to men of that stature) and admit it would be a liability in attracting women.

15 hours ago, Pioneer1 said:

I don't get called ugly as much as an adult as I did when I was a kid

No, I don't get teased for being short or smart -- unless I'm around my immature poker buddies who I've know for 50+ years 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Troy said:

depends on the woman

You and I are are literally cut from a different cloth. 

When I was younger people thought I was gay. Even gay men thought I was gay. However not all women thought that way. 

I wasn't into sports, I cooked, liked to dance and I dressed well. I was also fit and I didn't hit on women. If it wasn't for forward women I'd still be a virgin. 

Times have definitely changed it did not take much for you to be considered gay back in the day.  Shoot if someone caught you crying, for any reason, you must be a fag!  If you wanted to try double dutch you must be gay -- crazy LOL!

Well, I'm not into sports, other than betting and participating (I still do century bike rides). I cook and like to dance too. I also try to  stay fit, so I'm not sure the cloth is that different, maybe it is just the environment.  

• Like 1