Schomburg Black Comic Book Festival

• 1 month later...

The definition of a Black comic book can vary depending on individual perspectives and experiences. To me, a Black comic book is one that encompasses the Black experience, culture, and perspectives through storytelling and visual art.

• Like 2

Let's not confuse "Black" with "AfroAmerican".

A lot of people speak of conveying "Black culture" when it would be almost impossible to do so because Black culture varies so much across the planet.
What they really mean is "AfroAmerican" culture.

@Pioneer1

great point and I literally meant black. Meaning what? Black culture for me is global. It has what I call tribes based on language or geography or culture or any racial category or sub category: DOS/Rastafarian/Nigerian/Baptist/Siddi . In NYC you learn to see Black as a phenotypical group, based on how one perceives the range of appearance, but all else is open game. In NYC you have Black lgbtq+/Nation of Islam/Black Democrats/Black Republics/Rastafarians/Black Trinidadians/Black South Africans/DOSers/ et cetera. Their culture /history/heritage/geography/language isn't the same, but in my mind all of said groups plus more are under the roof Black, so to speak. 

I don't have a problem with the multiraciality in the black community.  but I have two main problems between the tribes in the black community, which like the white, is a global community.

1)  the tribes preaching or proselytizing to each other or the larger group. In this very forum, how many comments are I am right while you are wrong instead of, how can I suggest an idea to improve what your doing, even if I don't concur to it. 

2) the lack of focus on efficiency in black tribes when it comes to growth. Instead of complaining about what black people not in your tribe or doing, what are you doing to make your tribe better? 

I am not nor do I concur to the complete view of rastafarians or black baptists or black republicans or black democrats BUT those groups always complain about what other black people are not doing, ad rarely judge their tribe functionally. How many rastafarians know where Rastafarians live in ethiopia today, I do? How many rastafarians who have millions spend most of their money in the usa with real estate deals or living in the usa giving the usa their tex money and have no financial investment in africa, but then talk about rastafarianism? How many Black baptist complain about so few interested in their place of worship but don't say how their place of worship is closed most of the week. How it is open for the black rich to come and hob nob on sunday for? I am not christian but didn't jesus speak about the universality in humanity, then why can't Black churches make their churches active to the multiracial needs of the black community ? why don't black churches open up their churches to black muslims, nation of islam or other? why don't they all regale black elected officials to set them up for non profit situations, like food pantry and delivery for homeless? Black republicans continuosuly complain that the majority of black voters or the majority of black people are mentally wrong in some way but I can't recall a black republican as an elected officials with a set of policies that aided black people in their municipality, gave favor. Black democrats continuously complain that black people don't vote enough or black voters need to be respected by the larger democratic party but  I can't recall a black democrat as an elected official returning black votes with policy to help black people, to give favors to black people. Black elephants or Black donkeys when elected provide no pro- black laws or policy but then complain that black people aren't engaged or overjoyed as if black people in the usa don't have the right to want government to work for them, damn anybody else, and the funny thing is white people are used to that and their elected officials, donkey or elephant are trying to sell them the idea that it is good to not be favored, which is silly. So... all black tribes can improve, I just wish their narratives or prose focused on how they can improve , and stop all of this, I am right, everybody agree with me ... negativity.

To comics, a Black comic book festival in my eyes needs to reflect the inner multiraciality of the black community.  I am not a financially wealthy person. if I was a billionaire I would use my money to do something . But I don't have money to do so. But all black people can demand all tribes in the village do better while embracing the Black inner multiraciality. 

• Thanks 1

Black comics also include imagined Black characters, like Tuvok of Vulcan.

Every so often I but a comic, usually to support the artist. Yesterday however i brought a comic just because i liked the cover.

I’m just imagining what the sister is saying to the Hulk 😉  

Now thatis a Black comic! IMG_6239.png

@Troy and your comment explains my point to @Pioneer1 the internal multiracial aspect of the black community in the usa, elsewhere or throughout all humanity isn't a problem if it is accepted for what it is. Some black people will oppose what Troy suggested, some will support. So in a Black comic book festival all views, including comic books where black characters have an unapologetically negative relationship to whites. 

Thank you Troy for submitting your thoughts which give my point great support. 

Yes, that is a great writing question, what is she saying to hulk. 

richardmurray

In NYC you learn to see Black as a phenotypical group, based on how one perceives the range of appearance, but all else is open game. In NYC you have Black lgbtq+/Nation of Islam/Black Democrats/Black Republics/Rastafarians/Black Trinidadians/Black South Africans/DOSers/ et cetera. Their culture /history/heritage/geography/language isn't the same,

But how are they ALL...as a community...treated why White New Yorkers?

We acknowledge differences among ourselves, but do Whites acknowledge our differences as far as their treatment of us?

I am not nor do I concur to the complete view of rastafarians or black baptists or black republicans or black democrats BUT those groups always complain about what other black people are not doing, ad rarely judge their tribe functionally. How many rastafarians know where Rastafarians live in ethiopia today, I do? How many rastafarians who have millions spend most of their money in the usa with real estate deals or living in the usa giving the usa their tex money and have no financial investment in africa, but then talk about rastafarianism? How many Black baptist complain about so few interested in their place of worship but don't say how their place of worship is closed most of the week. How it is open for the black rich to come and hob nob on sunday for? I am not christian but didn't jesus speak about the universality in humanity, then why can't Black churches make their churches active to the multiracial needs of the black community ? why don't black churches open up their churches to black muslims, nation of islam or other? why don't they all regale black elected officials to set them up for non profit situations, like food pantry and delivery for homeless? Black republicans continuosuly complain that the majority of black voters or the majority of black people are mentally wrong in some way but I can't recall a black republican as an elected officials with a set of policies that aided black people in their municipality, gave favor.

One of the reasons for this is, unlike most White people who CLAIM to be different politically and religiously....Black people actually ARE different and are SINCERE about their differences.

White people may CLAIM to be Jewish or Christian but at the end of the day they both share the same values and ethics.
A few ritualistic differences but they pretty much dress and talk the same.

Black people who differ between Christian and Muslim SINCERELY believe their religion is the right one and comes from God.
And when you SINCERELY believe your religion comes from God....how can you intelligently compromise and get along with people whom you believe believe in the wrong or "satanic" religion?

Same with politics.

White people really know both the Republicans and Democrats are the SAME with different titles....which is why they can CLAIM different parties but at the end of the day get along with eachother.

Black people on the other hand SINCERELY believe there is a difference between the two parties.
Both the Black Republicans and Black Democrats want to see a positive change in their communities and both believe that THEIR party is the only party that can deliver that change and that the other party is wrong....so how can they SINCERELY get along?

Only when Black folks wake up to the fact that these RELIGIONS and POLTICIAL PARTIES are actually made up by White folks to trick and divide them...will they be able to get along together and work with eachother in unity WITHOUT the various titles of division.

@Pioneer1 

But how are they ALL...as a community...treated why White New Yorkers?

We acknowledge differences among ourselves, but do Whites acknowledge our differences as far as their treatment of us?

The quick one word answer is no. But that isn't a sufficient answer. In NYC, Whites acknowledge differences among themselves. One of the problems when black people talk about how the white community treats the black is the idea that the white community is unified against us, while unified in itself. 

What is my point? 

Before that, I have seen a muslim woman with a hijab holding hands lovingly with a jewish man with the jewish cap on very happy, so.. you see instance of everything in new york, i am speaking of majority here. Plus, I will use the phenotypical adjective for religious races, though I comprehend italin or irish are not phenotypical but geographic heritage labels.

Now, what is my point. 

In NYC at the least, and I think all over, The italian doesn't like the white jew, the white jew doesn't like the irish , the irish don't like the dutch. They all are whites who treat blacks as the enemy historically in a communal sense. But they are not united, they are against each other. The proof. I don't know if you know NYC history but their is blood on the streets in NYC from all the bloodshed these communities have spilled against each other.  My point? Black groups in NYC, like White groups oppose each other, all the time. I argue, Black groups oppose each other less than white groups. The variance. White groups tend to treat all black groups the same while black groups don't tend to treat all white groups the same. But, this goes into the difference between the black community side white community in the usa. Never forget pioneer. The white community in the usa for most of its history or the european colonies that preceded actually had complete power. The black community has never in the european colonies or today, had complete power over itself, and never another community. So... the black community in the usa does have a different heritage from the white community and just because I think it is warranted to say, the native american community also had a unique heritage. Said three people's are not in the same in their heritage concerning the usa in large ways. It can't be reduced to, all humans are human, that isn't sufficient. the native american is not the whites, the whites are not the blacks, the blacks are not the native americans. yes, hybrid examples or situations occur but the majorities are not the same in key ways. 

The question is why can't a majority of black leadership in the usa, implement a cognition of said variance in their ideas or policies. I actually have an unproven thought on that. A majority of black leaders in the usa have a position of human equality, individualism as a unifier that blocks said cognition. If you are frederick douglass or martin luther king jr or barack obama and one of your principles in your mind is a human unity a human equality that is pure or at the root how can you accept or implement ideas or policies that at their core accept human disunity or human inequality? 

Now you said the following with more

One of the reasons for this is, unlike most White people who CLAIM to be different politically and religiously....Black people actually ARE different and are SINCERE about their differences.

White people may CLAIM to be Jewish or Christian but at the end of the day they both share the same values and ethics.
A few ritualistic differences but they pretty much dress and talk the same.

Well, concerning whites if what you said is true, then the commonly called Civil War, World War I , World II, Balkans war, the troubles < which is really another round of the irish-english wars> , the current ukrainian/russian war, the january 6th incident <which can be argued is an incident in the long line of post civil war incidents between whites in the usa> where many white people have killed or harmed or threaten to harm other white people more than any other with pride or happiness are merely hoaxes or deceptions. If you do, that is fine, I don't want you to change your mind, but I oppose that view. 

Concerning Blacks, I don't think internal black friction is any different in emotion than in any human group. In india, muslims ad being burned alive by hindus. In former yugolslavis as we speak, croats and slaves are battling each other, no differently than the factions of sudan.  But I will say this, Black internal communal friction in the USA, the usa and to some extent the entire american continent, is mostly nonviolent. To me, white internal communal friction in the usa is historically quite violent, while said black friction is not. But again, that goes back to the people's heritage being different. 

Now is white internal communal unity in the USA unlike other white people? yes. Brexit didn't happen because whites of england hated black people. BRexit happened because white of england didn't want whites of eastern europe populating rural england anymore. In Italy or Spain you see many incidents of friction between catalonians and basque or sicilians and neapolitians. But in the usa, after the commonly called civil war and the end of the commonly called world war II , the white community in the usa has a greater sense of white unity. But as january 6th proved, it isn't that strong. 

I end with, you and many black people before have claimed that whites are one big happy family who unite against all others, ala the hellenistic example, while all others lack the same. but I oppose that view. I think many black people and to be blunt, black leaders like to suggest black people are more caught up in our variances than whites. but the million man march, the black community in NYC proves that assertion false for me. I think the problem is the black community in the usa has a problem getting results, and in frustration blames itself because blaming itself is easier than blaming itself aside its environment equally.