Debate: Is Florida Eating New York’s Lunch?

"Last year was a banner year for those trading the New York chill for the Florida sun. Thirty-nine percent of Empire Staters packed up and moved to the Sunshine State, more than any year in history. In fact, recent census data revealed 1.6 million former New Yorkers (or 8% of Florida’s total population) now call Florida home — and it’s not just retirees. Favorable tax policies are fueling Florida’s popularity, attracting top businesses, budding entrepreneurs, and so-called one-percenters, such as Donald Trump and Carl Icahn. Does that mean Florida is a better bet? Those who argue “yes” say New Yorkers are heading south where their money can last longer, their health can benefit from warmer climates, and their sense of safety can markedly improve. Others say that ‘blue state’ policies are a better choice in the long run and that as the effects of the pandemic recede, New York will once again rise in popularity. They also say the state’s inclusive practices and cultural diversity will pull people back to New York. It is in this context that we debate this question: Is Florida Eating New York’s Lunch?"

You can listen to the debate here.

Obviously, since I'm one of those who made the move. Florida offers distinct advantages over NY and at the top of the list is the cost of living.  Given the cost of airfare -- I can get to NYC very easily.  Indeed, I'm in NYC pretty regularly. Though I have to brace myself each time -- the crush of people, the noise, the concrete, and the garbage on the street takes a minute to get used to.

The statement above, "Thirty-nine percent of Empire Staters packed up and moved to the Sunshine State..." this is clearly wrong. Perhaps they meant 39% of the people who left NYC went to Florida.

Since I have been here the cost of living has increased quite a bit, but I believe this is true nationally. 

• Like 1

Florida has a lot of retirees from New York New Jersey and Conneticut. New York City is not appealing as a retirement destination. Even in my 20's I both wondered and admired the elderly I saw walking around NYC. At that time I thought to myself I wouldn't want to be old in New York.

• Like 1

Yeah NYC can be rough for the poor, handicapped, elderly... It really is a great city for the wealthy and those with high incomes.

The debate was between the state of Florida and the State of New York. Deblasio (former Mayor of NYC) focused on NYC and did not make a strong argument for the entire state of NY.

Even with our nutty governor Florida is a much easier place to live.  I did not know that Florida's 4th grade students out perform New York's.  The NY state's tax rate is significant and FL does even levy a state tax.  

It is not just were retires move.  I moved to FL in my late 20s @Delano I moved back to NYC to join you at Stern 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 11:12 PM, Troy said:

"Last year was a banner year for those trading the New York chill for the Florida sun. Thirty-nine percent of Empire Staters packed up and moved to the Sunshine State, more than any year in history. In fact, recent census data revealed 1.6 million former New Yorkers (or 8% of Florida’s total population) now call Florida home — and it’s not just retirees. Favorable tax policies are fueling Florida’s popularity, attracting top businesses, budding entrepreneurs, and so-called one-percenters, such as Donald Trump and Carl Icahn. Does that mean Florida is a better bet? Those who argue “yes” say New Yorkers are heading south where their money can last longer, their health can benefit from warmer climates, and their sense of safety can markedly improve. Others say that ‘blue state’ policies are a better choice in the long run and that as the effects of the pandemic recede, New York will once again rise in popularity. They also say the state’s inclusive practices and cultural diversity will pull people back to New York. It is in this context that we debate this question: Is Florida Eating New York’s Lunch?"

You can listen to the debate here.

Obviously, since I'm one of those who made the move. Florida offers distinct advantages over NY and at the top of the list is the cost of living.  Given the cost of airfare -- I can get to NYC very easily.  Indeed, I'm in NYC pretty regularly. Though I have to brace myself each time -- the crush of people, the noise, the concrete, and the garbage on the street takes a minute to get used to. I have also made a  character analysis with the help of these guys, because I needed it for college and besides it helped me to figure out where I would be better off, before move personally to the Florida. They express satisfaction with the distinct advantages Florida offers, particularly emphasizing the lower cost of living. They mention being able to travel back to NYC easily and regularly but also acknowledge the initial adjustment required due to the differences in population density, noise, and the urban environment.

The statement above, "Thirty-nine percent of Empire Staters packed up and moved to the Sunshine State..." this is clearly wrong. Perhaps they meant 39% of the people who left NYC went to Florida.

Since I have been here the cost of living has increased quite a bit, but I believe this is true nationally. 

This is an interesting statistic...I didn't know about it.🤔

@ireneearoyo welcome to the forums.

Can can believe 8% of Floridians are former New Yorkers.  However, I don't believe " Thirty-nine percent of Empire Staters packed up and moved to the Sunshine State, more than any year in history." 

I think that may have been misworded.  Maybe 39% of the people who left the NY state went to Florida -- not 39% of the state.

• Like 1