Quick: Name Five Well Known, Black Owned, Websites

Over the course of a conversation I was having recently lamenting the state of the Internet; I asked someone to name just 5 popular Black owned websites.

I figured I'd put the question to a larger audience, and see what answers I got. Try to answer the question off the top of your head, without resorting to internet searches.

I'm in!!

Difficult since many of the originally owned black sites are now no longer majority black owned and those that are black owned are "not popular."

1. theroot.com - most traffic but majority owned by The Washington Post

2. netnoir.com - first black internet news portal. No longer as popular or active.

3. blackplanet.com - was more popular when its founder and owner Omar Wassow was at the helm

4. Black Voices - the AOL portal reincorporated into The Huffington Post (AOL); not as popular as The Root but its origins were black founded.

5. Urbancusp.com - not highly trafficked but black owned and with original content.

However, since formerly once owned black sites don't count; we're left with Urbancusp.com and, I believe, Netnoir.com is black owned again. Hmmm.... this is difficult.

Glad you made it in Red Ibis.

Yeah I checked NetNoir, someone must have "camped on the domain name" it is an obscure blog -- not the same site. But who know one day.

Blackplanet a sical media site is owned by Interactive One. Interactive One's whose ownership is unclear.

I was unfamiliar with Urbancsup. They don't have a very high Alexa ranking, but it looks like a cool site and I'll help spread the word.

Red Ibis, I thought it would be useful to share your Top 3 Blacks in IT from our Twitter exchange:

John Thompson first creator of internet video: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bl_Lingo_programming.htm

Alan Emtage created the first Internet search engine, ARCHIE: http://www.alanemtage.com/cgi-bin/iowa/biography/index.html

Emmit McHenry (because without him we'd have no dotcoms) founder of NetSol: http://alumni.du.edu/s/1150/index.aspx?sid=1150&gid=1&pgid=359

You may be able to pull up my exchange with Red Ibis by search on twitter hash tag #blackinamerica

I'm gonna have to check out urbancusp...thanx for including the youtube clip. Now as for the 5 off the top of my head...tsk tsk shame on me bc I can only think of one...But maybe someone else can add to my virtually nonexistent list:

1. www.nappturality.com

Great post...can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

The editor of Urban Cusp is of Ethiopian descent and is based out of the Washington, DC area. She is @RahielT on Twitter. She does her best to have reporters write and webcast original stories and opinions. The first author being released from my company, Cecilia Capers, has written for UC. That is how I learned about them. However, I like them because they are not following popular trends. It is one of the best sources for original black news.

It seems that Interactive One is the online division of Radio One, which, I am guessing, would mean that Black Planet is still majority Black owned. Seems a bit convoluted as Interactive One also claims thegriot.com and admits that the Griot is a division of NBC. So.... does that mean that part ownership of Interactive One also may be NBC? I have no idea. Here's the article:

http://interactiveone.com/press/

Red Ibis of course Black Planet ranking is higher than Black Enterprise. Black Planet is scandal, celeberity, social and sex. Black enterprise is about Black Business.

Essence, should be doing better, particularly given the site's ownership, but who know what resources they are allocated.

Radio One is a publically traded company: ROIAK on the NASDAQ The majority of shares are held by insititutions. A significanrt part of the management team is Black. I seem to recall reading somewhere that they qualify as a minority owned business, but I'm not sure i that still applies. In any event, without having more information or taking the time to really dig. I'd have to put them into the "Black Owned" side. Publicaly traded companies are really a different animal, you really can restrict ownership to just Black folks

Based upon Alexa Rankings, so far, Black Planet is the most popular "Black owned" website.

What are is the largest independent, Blacked owned, websites? When I get back to Huria Search I'll be able to make that detrminination.