A Cynique-style review of "The Lost Symbol".

We are in the midst of changing times. All around us things are evolving; subtly in some areas and blatantly in others. Uncertainty permeates all facets of our lives. Young people look ahead, focusing on the future, oblivious to how much they have to learn. Old people look back, resigned to what the past has taught them. Some say what lies ahead has been prophesied and that what awaits will be either The End or The Beginning. I say WHO knows. And upon deciding to make “who knows” a statement rather than a question, I am inspired to contemplate.

In the seventh year of the seventh decade of my life, I look around, seduced by the implications of the 77 that defines my tenure here on earth, hoping these 2 fortuitous digits are a sign that Luck will smile on me, feeling certain that there is validity to Numerology. Not surprising. Whimsy enchanted my childhood, making me more into fairies than angels, more prone to wishing on stars than saying my prayers.

And as I grew older I began to read and explore anything that pertained to the metaphysical and the mystical. There was no bigger New-Age flake than I when those of us sharing the same vibe hailed the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.

Suspended in an alternate mind set, I was convinced that “thoughts were things”, that you could generate creative energy by intoning chants and that such energy could transform images into existence. I hunted for the answers to riddles that Sages said were contained in the questions, - even experimented with out-of-the-body experiences, and conjuring up spiritual guides to ward off danger.

While listening to me babbling about cosmic forces and 4th dimensions, people’s eyes would glaze over. Family and friends snickered when I purchased a cardboard pyramid and sat inside it meditating, hoping to benefit from how these geometric talismans could reputedly rearrange molecules and create magnetic auras and turn water into a magical potion comparable to the fountain of youth.

As time when on, I became critical of language, deciding it was an inadequate tool because reality couldn’t be imprisoned in words. I concentrated on getting in touch with my spirituality, pondered Buddhist koans, became awe-struck by the paradoxes of quantum physics. And with the passage of more time, without realizing it, I gradually established my own personal religion, choosing and rejecting tenets from many different schools of thought in the process of interpreting clues about the mystery of life even as, just recently, I began slipping into involuntary trances that allowed me to look at my surroundings with new eyes. Crazy, I know.

Then, an epiphany! A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a book, a 509-page best-seller I had been hearing a lot about. It was entitled “The Lost Symbol”, and was written by Dan Brown, who wrote the “Da Vinci Code”.

Once I started this book, my epiphany was soon followed by a revelation. Up until now, I assumed the ideas I had become compatiable with were my random conclusions. Imagine my thrill upon discovering that what I had discerned from my searching was the essence of a Brotherhood which has existed down through the ages, surreptitiously drawing order from chaos. The Masons - the group whose original members were the architects and builders of pyramids, and whose initiates include those from all walks of life, from all over the world!

So, needless to say, I found Dan Brown’s novel centered around the enigma of Masonic symbols to be very absorbing. I also found him to be a skillful writer who is quite adept at creating suspense! In the course of his harrowing tale, Brown dispels a lot of misconceptions about the Masons and absolves them of the sinister intent many have attributed to this ancient secret society that pre-dates the coming of Christ, and which later was very instrumental in the founding of America.

One of the more interesting aspects of this book is how the author links the Masons to the Bible, making its members the source of the “the old wisdom” that’s encoded in parables which mask empowering secrets to be kept hidden until Mankind is ready to re-claim the divinity that is its true destiny, - an implication that is at the core of all religions, a promise that whatever God can do, we will be able do because God dwells, not in heaven, but within the temples of our bodies, inside the chambers of our brains and the sanctuaries of our souls which upon transcending death, become the ultimate manifestation of a miracle!

Equally intriguing is the recurring theme that appeared throughout “The Lost Symbol”, a hint assuring that “there is nothing new under the sun”, that everything Mankind yearns to know is right before its eyes, needing only to be recognized. This became increasing clear to me when realizing how the confirmation of my conjectures that was provided by my reading “The Lost Symbol” was already “right before my eyes” - there on the walls of my den, there filling the shelves of my book cases. Ritual regalia and volumes of knowledge, - relics left behind by my father and my brother and my husband, who were all 32nd degree Masons and my mother who was an Eastern Star Worthy Grand Matron! All there, seeping into my psyche through the alchemy of osmosis, making me receptive to what I had strayed elsewhere to seek.

So as I ended my journey through the burning sands of “The Lost Symbol”, I emerged as a “Found Token”, eager to pay homage to a family legacy I had resisted, ready to merge with a cult of which I was already a convert, prepared to continue my quest for enlightenment.

Lucky? Maybe. Amazing? Yes. What lies ahead for me? WHO knows.

“The Lost Symbol”? I give it 4 (Eastern)Stars.

Definitely a Cyniquian style review. I like it! And will share it on my social networks. I also really like Dan Brown's novel Davinci Code. The movies sucked and honestly I straying from Brown's next novels prejudging them on the weakness of the movies. My bad, I'll down load Brown's latest based upon your 4 start recommendations.

Cynique, did you really sit under a pyramid? ohmy.gif

Dan Brown's The lost Symbol

51jHvD-ZUrL.jpg

Definitely a Cyniquian style review. I like it! And will share it on my social networks. I also really like Dan Brown's novel Davinci Code. The movies sucked and honestly I straying from Brown's next novels prejudging them on the weakness of the movies. My bad, I'll down load Brown's latest based upon your 4 start recommendations.

Cynique, did you really sit under a pyramid? ohmy.gif

Dan Brown's The lost Symbol

51jHvD-ZUrL.jpg

I most certainly did sit inside my cardboard pyramid, Troy, and it was actually a very relaxing experience. I also drank the water I stored inside of it and it did refresh me. This was over 30 years ago. For years, I also had a smaller pyramid which sat on my bedstand harboring the crystals I put inside of it. To this day, I think I benefited from these eccentric practices. :blink:

I really enjoyed Mr. Brown's first two books. I am happy to find another person who felt it was "old knowledge", just on the edge of my consciousness. I kept my laptop nearby to check references I was not familiar with. I hesitated to purchase the new one thinking what more could he bring to the table. Your review has intrigued me. I'll have to get back to you.

Without a doubt you and my deceased son* was kindred spirits. His life journey mirrored your quest for understanding through pyramids,crystals and dimensions beyond my comprehension. Thanks for memories.

*Aquarius birth sign

Wrote a book on analytical geometrics that was somehow related to the 4th dimension?????????

Died on his birthdate

Without a doubt you and my deceased son* was kindred spirits. His life journey mirrored your quest for understanding through pyramids,crystals and dimensions beyond my comprehension. Thanks for memories.

*Aquarius birth sign

Wrote a book on analytical geometrics that was somehow related to the 4th dimension?????????

Died on his birthdate

Hi "Se-Se" and "Vee"

Good to hear from you. Thanks for reminding me that there are and have been others out there on my wave length. (As opposed to ol dumb Carey who apparently can't even figure out how to respond to a comment on a thread without reading the whole post.)

Vee, I like your way of referring to the old wisdom as being just outside of our consciouseness. Indeed.

Se-Se, your son does sound like he was my kindred spirit. Amazing! And I will tell you what he probably would if he could. He didn't die; he just ascended to another plane. :rolleyes:

Hi "Se-Se" and "Vee"

Good to hear from you. Thanks for reminding me that there are and have been others out there on my wave length. (As opposed to ol dumb Carey who apparently can't even figure out how to respond to a comment on a thread without reading the whole post.)

Vee, I like your way of referring to the old wisdom as being just outside of our consciouseness. Indeed.

Se-Se, your son does sound like he was my kindred spirit. Amazing! And I will tell you what he probably would if he could. He didn't die; he just ascended to another plane. :rolleyes:

Your response touched c cord and sent a chill down my spine. If he could , am certain that he would tell me losts of things, but I unknowingly turned him off just before he died. Since his death he has not visited me.

When you have some free time please read 'IMAGES' in the book that I sent you. It is about my deceased son.

On another note, as usual I thought your review of the LOST SYMBol was very incisive, insightful and informative as are most al of your opinions, analysis and comments.

Your response touched c cord and sent a chill down my spine. If he could , am certain that he would tell me losts of things, but I unknowingly turned him off just before he died. Since his death he has not visited me.

When you have some free time please read 'IMAGES' in the book that I sent you. It is about my deceased son.

On another note, as usual I thought your review of the LOST SYMBol was very incisive, insightful and informative as are most al of your opinions, analysis and comments.

Hey SESE,

Upon your suggestion, I went to where I thought I had put your book, and didn't see it. I then proceeded to look in all the other places where it might have been and still couldn't find it. I can't imagine where your book is. I find this strange. It's like it just disappeared into thin air...

Hey SESE,

Upon your suggestion, I went to where I thought I had put your book, and didn't see it. I then proceeded to look in all the other places where it might have been and still couldn't find it. I can't imagine where your book is. I find this strange. It's like it just disappeared into thin air...

Hi Cynique: in all probality you will find the book where you least expect. Frequently we can be so certain that we put something one place, only to find it in another place. This my second respone to your post, hope this one is posted.

Hello SESE, I am glad to see that you still drop by, even though I had to read Cynique's long post in order to shake your hand ;)

Hi Carey: Good to hear from you! During recent computer repairs your blog address was deleted. Will you please repost it so that I can continue to enjoy your writings.

Hi Carey: Good to hear from you! During recent computer repairs your blog address was deleted. Will you please repost it so that I can continue to enjoy your writings.

Yep, be glad to! http://careycarey-carrymehome.blogspot.com/

Skip right past the nudity B)

post-22-12688629681706_thumb.jpg