National Media & Author Relations

(646) 489-6873 - Phone

tsmithwd@aol.com

Lynda Johnson

Co-Founder

lyndajgog@gmail.com

Go On Girl! Book Club Announces

2011 Award Winners

New York, NY - March 5, 2012 - During this Women's History Month, Go On Girl! Book Club, one of the largest national reading organizations in the U.S. for Black women, is proud to announce that authors Daniel Black and Isabel Wilkerson have been voted by the membership to receive top honors at their 20th Annual Author Awards dinner on Saturday, June 2nd, 6pm-10pm at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Philadelphia.

Daniel Black was named 2011 Author of the Year for the stirring novel, Perfect Peace. Isabel Wilkerson was named 2011 New Author of the Year for the historical masterpiece, The Warmth of Other Suns. Upon learning of his win, Mr. Black commented, "Go On Girl! Book Club keeps quality Black literature alive. I am humbled to be chosen for this honor. My commitment is to continue to breed life by breeding the word."

Ms. Wilkerson also expressed her thanks, "I am so thrilled and grateful for this honor. It means so much to me to be chosen by readers and to know how deeply the book has touched them. I look forward to meeting everyone in Philadelphia, one of the great receiving stations of the Great Migration. My thanks again to Go On Girl! Book Club for recognizing the hard work that went into this book and the inspiring stories of this great era in our history and of our families."

The awards dinner will also include presentations to 2011 Life Achievement honoree, Kenneth Gamble, chosen for his commitment to literacy and revitalizing Philadelphia's urban communities; and 2011 Vivian G. Harsh Life Achievement honoree Charles L. Blockson, selected for his life-long work in documenting and celebrating Black culture. Awards will also be given to the GOG Unpublished Writer and Scholarship winners. Books will be available for purchase by MahoganyBooks.

Tickets to Go On Girl! Book Club's 20th Annual Author Awards dinner are $75 and can be purchased until May 1st at www.GoOnGirl.org/events.

The awards dinner is the highlight of a weekend of festivities for GOG members and guests themed "Ringing The Bell For Black Literature," that begins on Thursday, May 31st and ends on Sunday, June 3rd.

On Thursday, May 31st, 8pm-10pm, members of Go On Girl! Book Club will enjoy "An Evening With Diane McKinney-Whetstone", featuring readings and conversation with the celebrated author. Ms. McKinney-Whetstone was the first author to win both GOG's Author of the Year (2005) and New Author of the Year (1997) awards.

On Friday, June 1st, 6pm-8pm, Go On Girl! Book Club will host the panel discussion, "Black Life Expressed in Literature" featuring powerhouse authors Daniel Black, Solomon Jones, Karen E. Quinones Miller and Touré. Inspired by Toure's book, Whose Afraid of Post-Blackness?, the authors will explore the various ways that Black culture is featured in contemporary writing.

On Sunday, June 3rd, 8am-10am, the weekend ends with Go On Girl! Book Club's Eboni Gray Phenomenal Woman Awards Breakfast, which honors members of the organization and culminates in a special prayer circle.

For more information about Go On Girl! Book Club and the 20th Annual Author Awards event visit www.GoOnGirl.org. To inquire about sponsorship or advertising opportunities, contact Tracey Y. Smith at (646) 489-6873 or tsmithwd@aol.com.

###