mo'nique best supporting actress? really?

Guest lil ze

Guest lil ze

can it really be considered acting for a fat,unruly,sassy, loud-mouth, black woman to play EXACTLY what she is? lets be honest, mo'nique was just "gettin black", nothing more.

let me see this overweight sow play an 16th century english princess, then ill see if she can act. but until then she was really did nothing more in the film then be herself.

im sure "white hollywood" loves giving black folks awards for playing sterotypes to a tee.

you should be proud mo'nique (what a JOKE!)

So, tell me, what did you think of the new version of the negro driving Miss Daisy? I mean, what's your take on the nice rich white woman, taking in the po young negro. He drove her straight to her Oscar. I suppose you think Sandra Bullock deserved her Oscar for supporting a stereotypical image of the white savior of the black race?

Did you like Blind Side? How did you like the scene in which the po dumb nigga couldn't even write his name? Remember, after all the other students were gone, he was sitting there drawing stick figures. How about the scene when they let the po dumb negro lay on their $10,000 furniture. Wasn't that nice of them?

Give me a break, stop hatin on the player. There are millions and millions of angry black women, no one could have played that part better than her.

Guest Chris Hayden

Though I am disgusted by the continual fascination of white film makers and certain segments of the white public for black pathology, I must defend Mo nique in this situation.

She is fat, that is true. So is Rush Limbaugh and so was Winston Churchill.

She is not in fact a po, ugly ghetto beeyotch, but a very bright, very talented and very aware performer and actress. If she was in fact such a person, she would not be able to deliver a convincing performance.

By the way, her performance was not accurate.

I am around fat, ghetto welfare women everyday, black and white. They are mostly dull and stupid, and even when they do show out they are not very articulate. They are not angry, in fact they are apathetic and totally numb to their situation. Tend to smile and drool a lot.

I find Monique type women more among your working and upper blue collar and even white collar women.

Oh well.

Monique's character wasn't supposed to be a "representative portrayal" of Black women. Her character in the book was a crazy bitch, not a stereotypically angry Black woman. She was mental and took her issues out on her child. She wasn't meant to be seen as the norm. Both the director of the movie and the author of the book were Black and the white masses weren't intended to be the target audience. Not only that, but the author based Precious and her entire situation on the lives of real young girls she encountered while working as a literacy teacher in the Bronx. The actress who did end up playing Precious was chosen out of the hundreds of girls who auditioned for the role because she was the only one who hadn't been molested or beaten (and Lee Davis didn't want to exploit the other girls who had been). So I don't see what the problem is with raising serious issues in the community that need to be addressed.

Monique played the hell out of that role, so I'm glad she won best supporting actress. I'm still mad that Gabourey Sidibe didn't win Best Actress for her portrayal of Precious. She earned it.

Guest Chris Hayden

Monique's character wasn't supposed to be a "representative portrayal" of Black women. Her character in the book was a crazy bitch, not a stereotypically angry Black woman

"But we all know that plenty of people see her as same--as evidenced by the above post"

Both the director of the movie and the author of the book were Black and the white masses weren't intended to be the target audience

"Let's not be naive. This was not FUBU. They wanted the whole world to see the movie--and would have to know that the black theatergoers would avoid it like the plague, which they have"

but the author based Precious and her entire situation on the lives of real young girls she encountered while working as a literacy teacher in the Bronx

"I heard she based it on one (1) woman in her 20's and turned Precious into a teenager to make her more sympathetic"

Precious was chosen out of the hundreds of girls who auditioned for the role because she was the only one who hadn't been molested or beaten

"You don't really believe this, do you?"

""Let's not be naive. This was not FUBU. They wanted the whole world to see the movie--and would have to know that the black theatergoers would avoid it like the plague, which they have"

Chris, although you may have been being facetious, black theatergoers have not avoided the movie like the plague. More importantly, those that ran from the plague, knew of it's death and destruction. For the most part, their fear was based on the consequences of the disease. Moreso, "They" WERE NOT concerned with the mental state of others, it was about protecting THEMSELVES. Now, for all of those individual that you said avoided the movie, the begging question is WHY? Really, what was the basis of their disapproval? Did they think they'd catch a disease or be convinced to commit a crime? I question the depths of their thinking pattern. I don't watch horror movies, like SAWII and Friday the 13th, and I could tell you why. But what I 've been hearing from the "Precious" hating crowd, reeks of stupidity. Much of it is based on faulty logic. First, I hear the cry of "how it make "US" look. Now, if that ain't some dumb shit. Plus, many of those naysayers are making remarks about the movie, that shows the sign of a fool. I mean, if you listen, it's obvious they are just mimmicking words of others, because their comments have nothing to do with the movie. At least, not the one I saw. How can a person assess a movie values, messages and rewards (good & bad), without viewing it? Granted, a person can make the decision not to view a movie, based on subject matter. However, to imply it's a tool of "the white man", is simply negro baffoonery.

But what I 've been hearing from the "Precious" hating crowd, reeks of stupidity. Much of it is based on faulty logic. First, I hear the cry of "how it make "US" look. Now, if that ain't some dumb shit. Plus, many of those naysayers are making remarks about the movie, that shows the sign of a fool. I mean, if you listen, it's obvious they are just mimmicking words of others, because their comments have nothing to do with the movie. At least, not the one I saw. How can a person assess a movie values, messages and rewards (good & bad), without viewing it? Granted, a person can make the decision not to view a movie, based on subject matter. However, to imply it's a tool of "the white man", is simply negro baffoonery

clap.gifThank you...............

black theatergoers have not avoided the movie like the plague. More importantly, those that ran from the plague,

"Either they have, or they haven't. They have, haven't they?"

Now, for all of those individual that you said avoided the movie, the begging question is WHY?

"Maybe because they, like most movie goers (most are youngsters and especially young males between 13-24) go to movies for escape. Maybe because they like to imagine they are the character in the movie and don't want to imagine themselves as a fat stupid black girl with AIDS.

Maybe because they know plenty of fat stupid black girls with AIDS unlike lots of folks who are championing this movie, and they don't want to wallow in it.

A few weeks ago I sat in a room full of black folks, men and women with AIDS who are getting ready to get the money they get for medicine (they can't hold regular jobs, imagaine that)wondering whether they were going to live or die because the doctors told them that if they stop taking the medicine they would die.

Naw, I don't want to see Precious after that and don't think anybody is brave or black because they can go in a goddam metroplex and eat popcorn and jujubes and think they are handling the AIDS problem.

People like you give me a pain. You cry and scream over a movie full of people who are PRETENDING they have AIDS and stare with blank stupidity at somebody really dying of it in the street.

Jeezus. I don't know where you stay but WHITE FOLKS own all the theaters around here and they are getting all the money, not those coons out front.

So what else be new?"

Guest careycarey

Chris, your comments are the perfect example of what I was talking about.

AIDS? Do you know how many times AIDS was mentioned in the movie? Let me help you. NEVER!

Come on man, keep talking. Your comments mimmick that of the drunk brotha being interviewed after a news event. They ain't seen shit, they ain't talking about shit, and THEY are the poster child for niggas gone wild.

The subject of HIV was but a very small subplot. The entire dialog could be compressed into 2 minutes or less. Put down that 40oz and save yourself a little money. Then, you might have enough money to actually see a movie that you obviously know nothing about. But, if you like being the gap mouth brotha on the midnight news, have another drink.

Come on man, keep talking. Your comments mimmick that of the drunk brotha being interviewed after a news event. They ain't seen shit, they ain't talking about shit, and THEY are the poster child for niggas gone wild.

The subject of HIV was but a very small subplot. The entire dialog could be compressed into 2 minutes or less. Put down that 40oz and save yourself a little money. Then, you might have enough money to actually see a movie that you obviously know nothing about. But, if you like being the gap mouth brotha on the midnight news, have another drink.

smiley-laughing024.gif

Why are you 2 having such a hard time processing the idea that "Precious" showed black women in a bad light?? It did! People who complain about this are not concerned with the acting skills of the cast or the production expertise of the crew. They are dismayed by the image that the characters projected and the plot that reinforced them. Why? Because any average white people who watch this movie will either feel pity for those po ol niggas, or will feel comfortable in harboring their secret prejudices. One of these reactions is a form of condescension, and the other a symptom of white entitlement. Why is it so difficult to understand that this frustrates Blacks who want respect????

Those who bitch about the negative impact of "Precious" and about Hollywood following a patronizing pattern of rewarding movies that expose the worst case scenario of black life, are not off base. If others want to wear blinders when it comes to the subtleness of benign racism and commercial explotation, then they shouldn't be surprised if the contempt they put out there comes back to them.