ROBERT CHAMPION KILLED BY HAZING

Baffling, too, how so many of our youngsters place such a small value on life, and would just as soon kill a person as to look at him. These types are totally lacking in foresight.The dire consequences of their doing wrong never seems to occur to them.

Our jails are full of young black men, wasting away, because they didn't give engaging in risky behavior a second thought. The odds are already stacked against them and they contribute to their own down-fall by mindless action.

Hazing and bullying and gang-banging all stem from the same root, the same warped mentality. For the coming generation, "Think about what you're doing" should be the words to live by.

Milton that last statement is actually alarming. I know it was a long time ago, but students leaving a school because of hazing is crazy.

I posted this video here before. I shot it shortly before Robert was killed. I've seen a number of marching bands in my day, but FAMU's is so much better than any I've ever seen: It is very Likely Robert Champion is performing here:

[media=]

Yes, the Marching 100 is legendary, which is why this is so alarming. I have another friend whose brother attended and graduated from FAMU. He was in t the band the entire time he was there. He's a former band director and music teacher. I have yet to have a chance to speak to him about his experiences.

Hazing is also common in students in many high school bands, which emulate the students/structure of the college bands.

This case is terrible and what is worse is that people are getting even more ridiculous because they are becoming more and more desensitized, less and less likely to even care.

In the southern black colleges, it would appear that hazing is an accepted tradition and is tolerated and condoned by the administration and the adult leadership in the music departments.

Of course fraternities and sororities continue to be among the biggest offenders across the board when it comes to hazing. Young people seem to have an innate streak of cruelty that being in a dominant position brings out in them. It doesn't go away once they mature into responsible adults but, in most cases, it is kept under control.

On another note:

Cynique said:

"Young people seem to have an innate streak of cruelty that being in a dominant position brings out in them. It doesn't goes away once they mature into responsible adults but, in most cases, it is kept under control."

Hmm.. I couldn't help but think of the incident that Romney can't seem to remember... It's troubling that he did that to person, but it is even more troubling if Romney really cannot truly remember. How does one forget something like that? Yet this is where our irresponsibility as critical thinkers weighs in: Who listens to Romney saying that he cannot remember but that he played a lot of pranks when he was younger without finding it deeply troubling that Romney would be presented with this terrible blast from the past and start talking about past "pranks"?)

Perhaps to people like Romney (and I believe that there are many in this country), Robert Champion's situation is just a "prank" that went wrong.