Which are Your Favorite Black Owned Bookstores?

Which are your favorite Black owned bookstores? I found a way to sell books which drives sales to an individual independent bookstore. Since I can only use one store at a time I wanted to use a store that I may not be personally familiar with, but does a great job, and can use the additional support.

Perhaps you can find a store you like on my bookstore database: http://aalbc.com/writers/bookstores.html

Afri-Ware in Oak Park, IL. appears on your list. This is where my book club holds its meetings and I know the owner who is a very dedicated to keeping this venue alive. She'd be a good candidate for your project.

• Like 1

MUCH LOVE TO THE REMAINING BLACK BOOKSTORES, BUT SHOUT OUT TO THE LITERARY JOINT! ALL 3 LOCATIONS:

3383 DONNELL DRIVE, FORESTVILLE, MD (FORESTVILLE MALL)

6901 SECURITY SQUARE BLVD, WINDSOR MILL, MD (SECURITY SQUARE MALL)

3500 EAST WEST HIGHWAY, HYATTSVILLE, MD (PRINCE'S GEORGE PLAZA MALL)

I'VE SOLD THOUSANDS OF BOOKS THERE SINCE FIRST VISITING THEM IN MARCH 2010!

HTTP://GHETTOHEAT.COM

@HICKSONHOTNESS

@GHETTOHEAT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Hickson ~ do you know if the Pyramid Bookstore still has a location in Mt. Rainier, Md.? Hodari Ali, sadly, passed away last year. He started with one store on Ga. Avenue and was a true pioneer in the black book selling business. By the early 90s there were 5 locations in the DMV, all of which i am grateful to have managed at one time or another, and 1 in California. I left D.C. in 95 and i'm wondering if his wonderful legacy continues after his death.

PEACE & GHETTOHEAT®, NIA! UNFORTUNATELY THAT STORE DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE IN THAT AREA, TO MY KNOWLEDGE. THE LITERARY JOINT BOOKSTORE IS WHERE YOU GO FOR BOOKS, AND ON THE STREETS: DC BOOKDIVA! I DON'T DEAL WITH ANYONE ELSE IN THAT AREA DIRECTLY BUT THOSE TWO ENTITIES: YET OTHER STORES IN SURROUNDING AREAS OF DMV, NATIONWIDE, AND INTERNATIONALLY CAN OBTAIN GHETTOHEAT® BOOKS FROM ALL REPUTABLE DISTRIBUTORS SUCH AS NBN, INGRAM, BAKER & TAYLOR AND SO ON, AND FOR DIRECT SALES: AT GHETTOHEAT®! VERY SOON, GHETTOHEAT® BOOKS WILL BE SOLD EXCLUSIVELY AT GHETTOHEAT®, AT REAL INDUSTRY-STANDARD PRICES: DUE TO THE POWERS THAT BE, AND OTHERS IN THE INDUSTRY SUCH AS WRITERS, PUBLISHERS, ETC., SELLING BOOKS AT THE PRICE OF A BAG OF SALT & VINEGAR POTATO CHIPS....

NIA, VISIT HTTP://GHETTOHEAT.COM: WEBSITE WILL BE UPDATED BEFORE THE 10-YEAR ANNIVERSARY, I'VE MADE CHANGES, CHANGE IS GOOD--CHANGE IS FOR THE BE$T!

#BACKTOBASICS #BLACKWALLSTREET #GHETTOHEAT!

Thanks for the bookstore info y'all I made an appeals for information else where but got nothing.

Most surprisingly was the lack of response from people in the industry -- even when pressed.

I had all of these stores in my database except for Urban Expressions, which I added: http://aalbc.it/uebooks I could not find any information, online, about ownership or how long the store was in business. I'll follow up with a phone call in the near future.

Thanks everyone.

That's sad, Troy. I got the same response when I put a call out a few years ago among my fellow writers. I'm grateful for your list and plan to use it heavily during my upcoming marketing campaign. I think many black writers, especially black speculative fiction writers, are missing an opportunity to partner with black bookstores to becoming another unique revenue source. I hope I can inspire by example.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...