The Only One final Chapter 22

The Only One

Chapter 22

When Troy Briggs had shown up at Carole Everly’s apartment casually attired in a yellow polo shirt, tan dockers, and white Nikes, everything about this sensual, buffed, charismatic man reminded her of why she found him so irresistible, why she was so taken by someone she’d never even had, except in her dreams.

Idling there in the middle of her front room, grabbing her hand when she returned from the kitchen where she’d deposited the pizza he’d brought, it was if her reaction to him was a primitive one, - that of a female seeking a mate, instinctively drawn to an Alpha male.

“Do we have to go through a lot of drama about - this situation?” he’d begun. “I know I said that we need to talk, but - can my beggin to come here, and you letting me do it, speak for itself?

“Well, - I let you come here out of curiosity,” she’d informed.

“Would your curiosity be satisfied if I told you that seeing you yesterday- made me want to be with you tonight,” he’d stalled, his hungry eyes relishing how inviting she looked in the red, low-cut, tube dress she’d poured her body into. Even the painted toes that peeked out from her sandals whet his appetite.

“Maybe,” she’d answered, disarmed as usual by the foreplay of his scrutiny.

He took a deep breath. “How about I just plead guilty to bein a confused, crazy-assed nigga…so inhibited by…how vulnerable you made me feel that…I repressed my attraction to you…the very same attraction that finally drove me to…man-up.”

She could hardly believe her ears, and was almost afraid to take this “new and improved” Troy Briggs seriously. “You – you couldn’t have felt any more vulnerable than me,” she’d confessed, her emotions beginning to surface.

“That’s encouraging to hear,” he’d replied.

“So, - you had no idea that I had a crush on you?” she’d blurted, unable to hold back any longer as the words came tumbling out. “Couldn’t you tell what your penetrating glances were doing to my composure? How your ridicule stung me? Do you know how many days I sat at work envying Debbie Marlowe? How many nights I spent - thinking about you, - how I wanted to run after you and give you my phone number on your last day at my office, - how many weeks I struggled, trying to forget you!”

“You’re very good at concealing your feelings,” he’d declared. “That’s part of your mystique, Carole Everly. And when it came to stinging, you certainly gave as good as you got!”

“I wanted so bad for you to - like me.”

“Baby, I do like you,” he’d assured, squeezing her hand. “Why the hell do you think I’m here? Debbie Marlowe was just a phase, something I had to go through, a fling I needed to get out of my system. Now, I just want to put the past behind and, believe me, the past has a lot to do with my – insanity."

“We’re all affected by what we’ve gone through,” she’d relented after a pause, trying, but not succeeding in resisting his advances as he’d pulled her into him.

“Very true,” he’d agreed, making eye contact with her.

“And we’ve all experienced self-doubt and regrets,” she’d sympathized, returning his gaze as a connection was made that had the effect of an aphrodisiac casting its spell, arousing their libidos.

“Thanks, for being so understanding,” he’d responded, gently rubbing her shoulders.

“You’re making it easy for me,” she’d sighed, smoothing his collar.

“And I’m really sorry if I hurt you, honey,” he’d apologized, stroking her hair, looking even deeper into her eyes. “I’ll make it up to you.”

“It’s not all your fault,” she’d conceded, holding his stare as she reached up and traced the cleft in his chin.

“You’re really sweet, Carole.”

“You are, too, ‘Boo’.”

“And I have this feeling that our being sweet to each other…is how it’s supposed to be.”

“That…would…explain…a lot…of…things,” she’d murmured, staring off into space…

“Yeah...it…would…” he’d mumbled, his eyes going out of focus…

“…I know I’m moving fast,” he’d finally said after they blinked themselves back to the present, and he tenderly cupped her face in his hands, nipping her ear lobes, planting lingering little kisses on her forehead, her lashes, her cheeks, and on the nose stud that had started it all, “ but, girl, if you don’t want to be seduced, you never should’ve worn what you have on.”

“That’s what you get for inviting yourself over,” she’d teased, thinking the same could be said about the cologne he was wearing.

“If that’s what I get, - when can I have it?” he’d purred.

“It?”

“You.”

“Me?”

“You,” he’d laughed. “Get it?”

“Gotcha,” she’d said, chuckling along with him, as her arms went around his neck and she met his lips, melting into the warmth of his nearness, surrendering to the promise of her dreams…

Then, making up for lost time …engaged in deep intimate kissing…they’d swayed there in the middle of the room… living in the moment…she caressing him…he fondling her…whispering sweet nothings to each other until…they ran out of words…and transported by desire…in the embrace of her bedroom…they came together…

“Ain’t this some crazy shit?” Wanda hooted, taking a swallow of her morning coffee, laughing into the phone as she finished filling her girlfriend in on the Albert charade, glad that the outcome of the Troy Briggs saga had turned out sooo favorably.

“All I know, - is that good things do come to those who wait,” Carole sighed, handing Troy a glass of orange juice.

“I’ll drink to that,” Wanda said, draining her cup, as her call-waiting clicked and the number that came up made her smile.

Thanks to all of you who hung in there. I hope you enjoyed my little excursion into the “contemporary world of black urbanites”, and had as much fun reading it as I had writing it. Thanks, too, to Troy Johnson for his indulgence in allowing me to serialize “The Only One” here on this site.

~ Cynique ~

Fun story! I just now realized that Troy's name is "Troy" as in our Troy! But not really bc it's a story...but, you know what I mean! lol. Thanks for posting Cynique! I usually lose interest in things quickly, but I read this story in 3 separate sittings that were spaced quite a distance apart (basically reading in between odd projects & parenting), and each time I came back, I was able to pick up right where I left off, remembering all the characters, even the friend Wanda, because they were all memorable & believable. I'm glad Wanda wasn't killed btw...in that one chapter (was it 14? 15?) I thought the crazy guy got her. Anyway, good job Cynique!

Glad you enjoyed, "The Only One", writergirl. I especially appreciate your positive feedback because you're a writer, too. Yes, I considered changing the name of the main male character from "Troy" since he shared a name with AALBC's CEO, but this book was written a long time ago before I even knew Troy Johnson. And when updating this book to serialize it, I just couldn't bring myself to change the name. Also, the main character "Carole" was who the story led you to believe could've been killed by the serial killer. Anyway, thanks for your response!