Sign in to follow this  
bookfan

Motherland

Watch the trailer for Shahadah's new film, Motherland.

And get an earful of this song from the soundtrack, "Come Into The Sunshine," by Shahadah's band, Ocacia. I don't know who that woman is, but what a voice!

The documentary features commentary by a host of prominent Africans and Americans, including Jacob Zuma, Meles Zenawi, Molefi Kete Asante, and Harry Belafonte. According to Wikipedia, Shahadah filmed an interview with Desmond Tutu but edited out the remarks of the Nobel Peace Prize winner after Tutu said President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe should be forced out of office if he won't leave. Don't know if I trust Wikipedia on that one -- Tutu said that 15 months ago. In any event, Tutu is right: Mugabe has ruined a beautiful country.

Guest Nubianpoet

Thank U 4 this post. The music was lovely. I have book marked it! This is my favorite post thus far!

Have a nice weekend! I am going dress shopping. :P

Thank U 4 this post. The music was lovely. I have book marked it! This is my favorite post thus far!

Have a nice weekend! I am going dress shopping. :P

Another song by the same fabulous singer. Who is she? None shall sleep until her name is known! (another great song)

The title of this second Ocacia song is "Bathe Siqhume Kabili," which appears to be Zulu: "They Said [something] Two". Somebody help me out here. Imhotep -- IsiZulu is one of the Bantu languages, right? Do your linguist thing and tell us what this means.

The info for this video identifies the singer only as "Pinky." How can someone have a voice this big, publish videos this professional, and remain a complete mystery on the Internet?