Nation’s First African-American Marines Receive Congressional Gold Medal

The irony in the prayer, speeches, remarks given (and even the selection of the people giving these) during this event is endless. I wonder if anyone else will notice.

Anyway, these African American men fought their hearts out in World War II for a nation that would not even allow them to fight without being in segregated units (and often only in roles of servitude). Ut;s 2012 and these men are just being honored. Why is that? Not so much why are they being honored and not even why are they just now being honored, but I mean...why now?

Anyway, check the full program out here:

http://www.c-span.org/Events/Nations-First-African-American-Marines-Receive-Congressional-Gold-Medal/10737431920-1/

Montford Point Marines Recall Challenges in Breaking Color Barrier:

Documentary about Montford Point Marines narrated by Louis Gossett Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDu5GLRLZVI&feature=related

My brother served aboard the USS Mason, the only ship manned by an all-black crew during WW II. In1999 President Bill Clinton summoned all of these old veterans to the white house and they were presented with some kind of medals for valor by the Secretary of the Navy. They were extremely pleased and proud of this. The same was done for the Tuskeegee Air Men.

You seem to be suggesting that honoring these black marines after all of this time is a dubious distinction with political overtones. I'm sure these guys felt overlooked and figure better late than ever when this honor was extended to them. It's no secret the armed forces were always very racially prejudiced. It wasn't until the Korean conflict that the military was integrated. Why do you think this gesture is being made now???

I know that my eyes do not give way to the sight of the world. However, I will say that though it is no secret that the armed forces were always racially prejudiced (and actually, many do not know. Many youths of today don't even know that it wasn't so long ago that the armed forces were segregated.), it is very much overlooked how these black people fought so hard, many of them to prove to be loyal to America, to prove to be worthy of their citizenship and were even in some cases honored foreignly for this yet not honored by the countries for which they fought. I mean really, these black people fought for a country in which they couldn't even get a cup of water in that was not at a coloreds only table. They came back and were treated like dirt. Furthermore, it was a country that still refused to acknowledge them years later, even though they no longer had to eat a coloreds only tables.

So many years of no major official recognition of this caliber and yes, I do wonder why now, in this so called post-racial era which is everything but "post" racial. At the very least, my guess about why this gesture is being made now would include but not be limited to the promotion of the post-racial lie.

What you are also implying, WaterStar, is that the bravery of these Marines should be ignored because of the sins of the past. But I'd suggest that they wanted their role in WW II to be acknowledged and recognized, and the people who lobbied for this to happen were motivated to right a wrong, and perhaps the Marines, themselves, even initiated this action. The idea that notable black events of the past should be kept obscure because circumstances then or now are not ideal, is counter productive. Certainly giving these Marines their just due is preferable to ignoring them. Unless of course you're a "pouter". :huh:

Cynique said:

"What you are also implying, WaterStar, is that the bravery of these Marines should be ignored because of the sins of the past."

May I ask you what specifically I said to make you infer this?

Also, you seem to have interpreted something in my words to make you think that I think that notable black events of the past should be kept obscure because of present or past circumstances. I certainly do not feel that way at all. If anything, as I stated, I wondered why now. Not in just a cynical way, but in a way in which the question of possible motives and objectives beyond the surface is explored.

Well, why question the motives of those who show recognition to unsung heroes? What is the alternative to giving them their props late? Continuing to ignore them because suspicious people don't like the timing of the accolades? Nobody is more cynical than me, and one of the things I am cyical about is protest just for the sake protest. I am a little more lenient when it comes to debating for the sake of debate. :rolleyes:

Cynique says:

Well, why question the motives of those who show recognition to unsung heroes?

Your frame of my mind is "why question" whereas my frame of my mind is "why not question"? I tend to believe that you would believe that we are being logical in life to question so many things. Why, then, is this situation an exception?

As I said, it has nothing to do with suggesting that they continue to be ignored and it doesn't even have anything to do with my not "liking" the timing of the accolades. It is my questioning the timing of the accolades and I've no real interest in debating for the sake of debate but rather taking every exchange as a chance to heighten my awareness and to possibly aid in the heightening of awareness whenever possible. Cynicism is not so much my interest, but the issue of the conditioning of the minds of my people is of utmost priority at all times.

At any rate, you said:

"What you are also implying, WaterStar, is that the bravery of these Marines should be ignored because of the sins of the past."

As you have continued to imply the same thing in your most current post in this thread, I ask you to quote the words that I said to make you infer this.

It wasn't your words, it was your tone. Sounded to me like it wouldn't make you any difference if these men weren't honored because it was a shallow gesture considering what they have been through. That's the impression I got. And I wouldn't have gotten it if you hadn't made an issue out of it, instead of just being glad that they finally got their recognition like other black groups have. I don't have a problem with atonement and in this case I don't dwell on what people's motives might be. If you want to, that's your prerogative. Bottom line, these Marines fought bravely and they deserved to be honored for this.

That's my response. Take or leave it.

Well everyday in this world, words start and end wars. Not always though, sometimes, it is the interpretation of these words that start or end wars.

In the case of this thread, what you interpreted is not at all what I said neither in word nor intention. (It's a good thing that you can't impose a no-fly zone, I'd be in a bad way. :-O Peace and respect same way. )

Indeed. Any imposing done on this site is by the AALBC web master Troy Johnson because I'm just an honorary fixture here.

This is a forum for an expression of opinions. If everybody agreed and stroked each other, it was would be very boring. As far as I'm concerned, you and anybody else can write whatever they want, but no one can control how what they say strikes other people.

You supply material for debate or reflection in your posts and, in doing so, leave yourself open for challenges. Having contentions challenged is also an everyday occurrence in the world. C'est la Vie.

The bit about your imposing a no fly zone was just a little joke re: wars. Of course anything that is supplied is open for debate and questioning. Why should the timing

of the honoring of a group of people be exempt?

I would ask you if you could specifically quote anything that I said to make you infer that I had an issue with something that I posted being challenged, but I'll just stay on the subject of these all being mere views.

Again, though you might disagree with some or even many of my perceptions, that does not make you less worthy of my respect. I might disagree with some or even many of yours and hopefully you feel the same about respect to this younger head, even in the midst of debate. After all, I can only share the very things that others on here share, which are opinions/perceptions/interpretations.

I can't afford to let my ego get so big that I am offended by what other people think of my agreeing or disagreeing with certain things. If that is what others feel to do, then that is what they feel to do. At the end of the day, none of the individuals debating the truth really has it completely, only perceptions of it. ( <--- even that is a perception).

Look how people are still debating over whether there is a supreme being or whether there is Heaven or Hell or whether the planet Earth was created and if so, how and "the god particle" and so on and so on. All those perceptions/interpretations (and often tax dollars go to fund them). Sometimes very passionate perceptions/interpretations. In the end, who can really say that he or she fully knows one way or the other? Perceptions, opinions, interpretations, perspectives.

I can't get hot and bothered over my opinions/perceptions and hopefully the egos of others are not so important until others must get hot and bothered over them.

People often read between the lines and reach conclusions about something another has written. This is an individual subjective reaction, and all the person about whom the conclusion is reached can't do, is to realize that they can't control how another person perceives their words.

To me, attitude often transcends words. That's my approach, and whether others agree or disagree with this is out of my control.

You may not be "hot", Waterstar, but the way it strikes me is that you do seem to be "bothered". ^_^

Though I do not at all feel bothered, Cynique, I cannot control your feeling that this is not true because I cannot control your perceptions.

In other news, my daddy told me every single day when I was a little girl that I was the most beautiful in the whole wide world. All that coming from a strong, beautiful African man?? Oh trust, even if I were butt ugly, I would never believe it, so I "am" hot. :P

I would be hot, but I have AC. 104 degrees today in my neck of the woods. Actually, I did go ouside and and amble around in the heat for a little while. I wanted to participate in history because this was the hottest day recorded in 70 years. Almost as auspicious as casting a vote for a black president. B)

Isn't that something?

On the sun though, I absolutely love it.. I can't take too much AC. I must, however, say that I do not believe the theory of global warming (especially as caused by mankind) to be a hoax.

Still, It's been so hot down here and I absolutely love it. No sun block thanks to that jazzy melanin, just shea butter and ahh, I love to take the sun in.

Plus summer is vacation time and where do I choose to go during the summer? Much hotter places! Yet Mama Ocean is right there, as beautiful and blue as she can be, so more sun is actually even more wonderful.

Speakin on da sunshine, gotta love it. Gotta love this tune, too. Everybody loves da sunshine ...well not "everybody" but you know)~