A plug for my candidate

LOL!

As for prez, no one will get my vote. If Randall Robinson were running, he would get my vote without question or if Cynthia McKinney were running, it is possible that she would get my vote (unless she were running against Randall Robinson). Well if Cynthia McKinney were running against these people who are out there running now, she would get my vote.

However, that is not the reality and the reality is that I'm not consciously voting for imperialism, so neither of those men who are running will get my vote.

What I respect about most republicans is that they don't come in like foxes, cunning, planning to devour yet not straightforwardly. Most of those republicans do not try to hide the fact that they do not care about their prey, that they are out to devour it. Meanwhile, most democrats pretend as if the care is their prey is their top priority. All my opinions, of course...

As for prez, no one will get my vote. If Randall Robinson were running, he would get my vote without question or if Cynthia McKinney were running, it is possible that she would get my vote (unless she were running against Randall Robinson). Well if Cynthia McKinney were running against these people who are out there running now, she would get my vote.

I enjoy reading most of your posts on this board Waterstar.

What little I know of Randall Robinson I admire. In 2000 I picked up a copy of Defending the Spirit: A Black Life in America. After moving, it ended up in storage before I had read it completely. I'm going dust it off.

What I respect about most republicans is that they don't come in like foxes, cunning, planning to devour yet not straightforwardly. Most of those republicans do not try to hide the fact that they do not care about their prey, that they are out to devour it. Meanwhile, most democrats pretend as if the care is their prey is their top priority. All my opinions, of course...

This reminds me of the loose characterization of southern versus northern "people". The saying goes that in the south people let you know right up front if they hate you. Sophisticated northerners are less transparent.

I don't agree. Respect? Republicans? Most are not forthcoming. They deceptively engage in great superficial propriety. They speak in codes, and use buzz words that their faithful know are references to Blacks, and they are the first ones to try and neutralize black opposition with quotes taken out of context from Martin Luther King. They're very devious.They pretend to respect Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain when everybody knows they regard them as lawn jockeys. If ever there was a slippery eel who speaks with a forked tongue, it's Mitt Romney.

I would agree that the political parties could be represented by a 2-headed dragon but Democrats are typical well-meaning Liberals who, bumbling and inept tho they may be, do deliver from time to time on their bleeding-heart liberal agendas. Yes, the Dems do take the black vote for granted but the Republicans don't have to woo us this election because they have enough white people who agree with their negative sentiments about Blacks both overtly and covertly.

Randall Robinson wouldn't fare any better than Barack Obama as president, because once you enter the white house, you are the captive of those who make up America's white power structure. He would just be better at making empty promises.

I do have reservations about voting in the next election but, in my opinion the Dems are the lesser of 2 evils. I'm still making up my mind as to whether I will forfeit the right that those who came before me fought and died for.

I enjoy reading most of your posts on this board Waterstar.

What little I know of Randall Robinson I admire. In 2000 I picked up a copy of Defending the Spirit: A Black Life in America. After moving, it ended up in storage before I had read it completely. I'm going dust it off.

This reminds me of the loose characterization of southern versus northern "people". The saying goes that in the south people let you know right up front if they hate you. Sophisticated northerners are less transparent.

Why thank you very much, breathebooks. The first post that I saw from you is the post that I just saw in "Turn the volume down" and I absolutely loved it.

Yes indeed @ southern versus northern people comparison. Yes indeed, indeed. This is indeed how it is for the most part.

I have enjoyed every Randall Robinson book that I've read. You should read "Quitting America" . Oh but then, every book that I've read by him is a book that I would suggest for you.

I don't agree. Respect? Republicans? Most are not forthcoming. They deceptively engage in great superficial propriety. They speak in codes, and use buzz words that their faithful know are references to Blacks, and they are the first ones to try and neutralize black opposition with quotes taken out of context from Martin Luther King. They're very devious.They pretend to respect Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain when everybody knows they regard them as lawn jockeys. If ever there was a slippery eel who speaks with a forked tongue, it's Mitt Romney.

I would agree that the political parties could be represented by a 2-headed dragon but Democrats are typical well-meaning Liberals who, bumbling and inept tho they may be, do deliver from time to time on their bleeding-heart liberal agendas. Yes, the Dems do take the black vote for granted but the Republicans don't have to woo us this election because they have enough white people who agree with their negative sentiments about Blacks both overtly and covertly.

Randall Robinson wouldn't fare any better than Barack Obama as president, because once you enter the white house, you are the captive of those who make up America's white power structure. He would just be better at making empty promises.

I do have reservations about voting in the next election but, in my opinion the Dems are the lesser of 2 evils. I'm still making up my mind as to whether I will forfeit the right that those who came before me fought and died for.

LOL The big difference though, Cynique, is that the overwhelming majority of black people already know where republicans stand and so these buzzwords and this false praise don't get to them like the false empathy and psuedo-agency of the democrats. If those such as Herman Cain and Alan West for one second ever really thought that they had the support of those of their party, then they are truly idiotic. Most any kid in "urban America" can tell you what's up with republicans and they know very well that most black republicans are tokens, so either these kids know something these token politicians do not or these politicians are playing the game to make their lives more comfortable and for a few pats on the heads in the process. I don't know too many black people who are duped by the rhetorical ethic of republicans, but I sure know a whole LOT of black people who are duped by the rhetorical ethic of democrats.

I don't know that Randall Robinson would be the second coming of Obama. I wouldn't expect him to be President Geezus, but then, I was not among those who expected this of Obama. However, I do tend to believe that Randall Robinson would not merely a puppet for the white 'power' structure and imperialism. I tend to think that Randall Robinson would have handled the position much differently than Obama in that I believe that Randall Robinson would have served the people before the power structure/big business and such. In fact, I think that Randall Robinson would feel so strongly about not bowing to these forces until he wouldn't have even run for president. :-)

As far as what our people fought and died for, in speaking with my dear friend about this very thing, he said something that I wish that more of us seriously consider. About the right to vote... Our people (my friend said) did not fight and DIE for that; they fought and died for the right to control their own destiny and for the right to live life with dignity.. I fully agree with him.

Welllllll, Waterstar, we all have militant friends enamoured with the '60s who lean toward being malcontented. :angry: For every one who thinks the civil rights struggle included striking down Jim Crow laws that impeded voting, there are those who think the struggle involved the right to embrace not voting with dignity. Take your pick. Vote and feel vindicated or don't vote and feel dignified. ;)

As for black voters and the Democratic party, Blacks have enough guile to not be naive when it comes to canonizing Democrats. They are and alway have been practical so they humor Democrats so they can "work the system" for their own benefit. Not only that, it's not like Blacks are the spectators when it comes to Democrats. They are Democrats, themselves, via running for office and being elected on Democratic tickets. They are Democratic precinct captains and Democratic ward committee men and Democratic city councilmen and Democratic aldermen and Democratic mayors and Democratic congressmen and Democratic state senators and Democratic Attorney Generals and - a Democratic President, all of whom have constituents who identify themselves as Democrats. Yes, Democrats are flawed, but they are also us! Democrats are not perfect, but Blacks have to go with what's available. If things were different would it be better? Who knows? Politics is not the venue for idealists.

Blacks are also among the growing ranks of Independents who vote for candidates they think will serve their individual interests, or who will at least not be corrupt. Lotsa luck to them.

BTW, I agree that anyone who wants to make a difference, should not run for president.

History reminds us that black people in America were not always mostly associated with the democratic party. Black people in America were once associated with the republican party, which was the party that helped to make great strides in the area of Reconstruction.They were republicans and they voted republican. Republican state and local governments in the American south in the 19th century were among thhe most progressive anywhere in America. Basically, I think that black people were being then as they are being now, "practical" as you have said, "working the system" for their own benefit. Again, I do not endorse either party, they are two different sides of the same coin. Will some people have a problem with me for this opinion and possibly many other opinons that I have? It's possible, but in the end, they will be much more hot and bothered over my mere opinions than I will be over theirs.

As for black people being among the growing ranks of independents, I think this is increasingly due to the fact that neither the democratic party nor the republican party is serving the way in which they feel that these parties should serve. Even when parties of more fiery black people were registering to vote or promoting voter registration, they were registering as independents or encouraging others to vote as independents so as to not follow the duopoly. Some democrats are democrats for politically strategic reasons i.e. being able to vote during primaries.

Well Cynique, I'm going to vote for your candidate, Nobody. Nobody is also not influenced by powerful monied interests that actually control our government for their own selfish ends. Nobody will actually overtly support Black people because we have been overtly oppressed for hundreds of years by this nation. Nobody will not have robots flying into other countries killing innocent people...

I appreciate that my voting for Nobody will anger a of of Black people who hold the holier than thou attitude that if you don't vote you somehow sully the memory of those that died to give you the right. Please! Black people failing to vote is the LEAST of our problems.

Besides I'm accustomed to doing a lot of things many Black people don't do.

I live in a firmly Obama district/city/state so my vote won't matter one way or the other. But even if I thought my vote would sway the election one way or the other, Nobody will still get me vote.

Actually I don't think whether you two vote or not really matters, except for the personal satsifaction you get from abstaining. The electoral college will be who determines the presidency and it neutralizes millions of votes in the process.

There's a very real possibility that I won't vote because I've moved, and am not registered at my new address.

But I will continue to hope the Republicans are defeated because they are anti-women, and have a problem with keeping church and state separate.

Cynqiue for the sake of argument; you think Black Democrats, in contrast to Republicans, are able to separate their religious beliefs from their civic ones?

As far as Democrats treatment of women Hillary should have cleaned Barack's clock in the democratic primary. And the democrats did a pretty thorough job portraying Palin as a complete idiot, indeed they seemed to take a perverse pleasure in doing so.

I'm a registered democrat ONLY because I wanted to vote for Barack in the democratic primary here in NY. Before that I was a registered independent. The independents typically support Nobody.

Well,Troy, things have changed since the last election. The Christian Conservative Right wing has all but hijacked the Republican party. This bloc is very active in the fight to repeal abortion and are enraged about the provisions of Obamacare that require insurance companies to pay for female birth control and contraception. They're also opposed to invitro fetilization and not in favor of women being paid equal pay for equal work. They also want prayer back in schools and sex education out. They are adamantly against same sex marriage . And they are not just satisfied with "in god we trust" being on coins, but further want America to be specifically considered a "Christian" nation, all in their quest to impose their religious beliefs on others.

Black Democrats are not that devout when it comes to religion. They go to church on Sunday and sing and shout and holler Amen but they do pretty much what they please when it comes to the rest of the week. They fornicate and live in "sin" and have babies out of wed-lock and cheat on their spouses and drink booze and smoke weed and go to Vegas, and then tell themselves that the lord will understand. The one thing they do seem to snag on is same-sex marriages, but because gays are so numerous in black congregations, straight members are able to hate the sin and love the sinner, and the majority of them will forgive Obama for endorsing gay marriage rather than vote for a white man over a black one. IMO.

And, yes, the innate chauvinism that characterizes men, reared its ugly head when Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin exerted a little muscle in the last election, and male Democrats were intimidated by one and amused by the other, but because they are ostensibly liberal as opposed to conservative, Democrats are traditionally supportive of women's causes and religious freedom.

Believing all of this is why I reject Republicans. Democrates are affable hypocrites, while Republicans are tight-assed, self-righteous ones.

Well said, but I'm not sure the distinctions between the white and Black Christian democrats are all that stark. Sure the descriptions you used fit the prevailing stereotype.

Both parties and races play this game with religion speaking as if they are devout Christians just because it sounds good. They are all hypocrites, neither practicing or actually believing in what they preach. Their very behavior reveals this fact.

Each party supports a cause or idea in so far as it advances their own political positions. There is no true leadership in this system. The whole thing and the people in it disgust me, seriously.

Yep, it would be more accurate to categorize people as liberal and conservative rather than Republican and Democrat because these 2 types do exist in both parties and both races.

Your disillusionment seems to stem from your idealism, Troy, something that has no place when it comes to politics because politics is always about compromising your principles. We live in a imperfect world populated by a flawed species who crave power and exude greed. Unless you want to exile yourself on a remote island in the south Pacific or join an order of monks in Tibet, you just have to molify your frustration by drawing satisfaction from personal victories. Reforming the world is a tall order. But, you can sit out the next election and draw satisfaction from doing this. I guess...

As you can probably guess Cynique I would take no joy in sitting out the next election, though I'm sure I would be able to breeze right through this time compared with 2008. The whole world does not have the problems the US has our problem are not universal they are typically western. These values are unfortunately be exported globally so it seems as if the problem are universal.

We have all the resources to fix what is wrong. I'm not saying make it perfect, but if can be a whole lot better than it is -- and in our life time.

Universal health care can be made available, throwing Black men into prison for bullshit can stop tomorrow (how about throwing Wall Street criminals in jail for a change?) Quality, free education, including college or vocational training for all can be made available. A more rational tax system can be put into place. Environmental and food safety can be enforced. These are not hard things to do. I'd imagine most people would be interested in having these things too. But it will never happen in the current system - the incentives are all wrong.

Politicians only do what is right for themselves often at the expense of everyone else. Few seem willing to compromise their individual wealth and power. Ones principles are open for compromise and are only important to the extent that they leverage additional power. We call this flip-flopping nowadays, if used to just be called lying.

People who are principled, speak the truth and sincerely want to make positive change are unelectable. Those who are able to win are the very ones least able to do anything of substance.

"In your life time", Troy; not mine. :lol:

If we had to vote between the optimists and the pessimists, the latter would get my nod. <_< The logistics involved in the reforms you think could be implemented are mind-blowing. And speaking of "mind", changing people's mind-set would also call for some mental logistics. You'd have to exorcise their selfish materialistic demons.

And are you sure America's decline is not the barometer of what is going on in the rest of the world? Can you say: Greece and Spain and Japan and Africa and India and Russia and France and Mexico, just to name a few countries that are on the brink?

But you are a visionary. Guess what I am? ;)