The publishing industry, as it relates to Black books, is at a crossroads

A luta continua indeed, indeed, Brother.

However, thanks to those such as yourself with the will to actually give a darn, the vision to build coalitions/encourage alliances, and the love and dedication to keep showing love and support in spite of the odds, maybe the younger ones will have some type of model to reverse the cycle.

That article was wonderful. It is very telling not only about the state of an industry but also about the state of a people.

The concept of Huria is refreshingly innovative.

• Like 1

Waterstar, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

The problem with Huria is that the underlying technology is Google's. I'm hoping someone will come along and improve on it -- making it truly self-sufficient.

The problem with coalition building is that the handful of remaining large Black sites have no interest in the effort and are largely indistinguishable from the large white owned Black sites. The other sites, representing the vast majority, wield too little influence to matter. I think however if all these tiny, conscious sites, were unified we could indeed have an impact. Again that is hard to accomplish, but I see no other way to ensure we have a voice, and remain become relevant.

The problems are indeed reflective of a people.

"I think it's time for some meaningful discussion between entities that would support such efforts". Absolutely, I think these entities need to feel/understand why it is necessary.

See in the pure capitalist model, for example, I would find fewer book websites and physical stores and more authors who find it difficult to get coverage advantageous.

But when you look further down the road and see how grim everyone's (book sellers, authors, readers) prospects a competitive advantage does not look so good.

The real challenge is convincing people, especially those with a short term advantage, that there is even a problem and helping them to understand why it is in their interest to do something about it.

THE INDUSTRY HAS DEFINITELY CHANGED: FOR MANY REASONS, GOOD & BAD! YET, I HAVE A POSITIVE OUTLOOK ON IT ALL, IN LIEU OF THE MANY CHALLENGES & CHALLENGING PEOPLE WITHIN IT AT TIMES. THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I'VE CREATED GHETTOHEAT®: THE HOTNESS IN THE STREETS!!! MAGAZINE (& OVERNIGHT, MIND YOU), TO DISCUSS ISSUES AS SUCH, YET TO ALSO DO GREAT FEATURES ON PROMINENT FIGURES IN PUBLISHING, INTERVIEW UPCOMING WRITERS & ESTABLISHED AUTHORS, AS WELL AS USE THE MAGAZINE AS A VEHICLE TO EXPRESS CREATIVELY & REPRESENT WITHIN THE PUBLISHING WORLD AS A WHOLE. MANY MAGAZINES FOCUSING ON LITERATURE & LITERACY, ESPECIALLY BLACK WRITERS ARE GONE...WELL GHETTOHEAT®: THE HOTNESS IN THE STREETS!!! MAGAZINE IS HERE: WHERE IS EVERYBODY WHO SHOULD'VE CONTACTED ME WITHIN PUBLISHING ABOUT INTERVIEWS, FEATURES & ADVERTISING? I'VE YET TO HEAR FROM MANY OF YOU & YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE--SHAME ON YOU ALL FOR NOT INQUIRING ABOUT HOW TO GET INSIDE SUCH A GREAT PUBLICATION! ISSUE #1, THE GHETTOHEAT® ISSUE RELEASES THIS WEEK! ISSUE #2 RELEASES IN THE FALL: SEPTEMBER 2012--& WILL BE EXPLOSIVE! GHETTOHEAT®: THE HOTNESS IN THE STREETS!!!

HICKSON: CEO of GHETTOHEAT®

Publisher of GHETTOHEAT®, CONVICT’S CANDY, HARDER, AND GOD CREATED WOMAN, LONDON REIGN, SONZ OF DARKNESS, TANTRUM, LOVE DON'T LOVE NOBODY, THICKNESS, GHOST TOWN HUSTLERS, TRUALITY, DIRRRTY, CLUB AVENUE, TOUGH, UGLY/BEAUTIFUL: ME, SOME SEXY, & SKATE ON!

GHETTOHEAT® | P.O. BOX 2746 | NEW YORK, NY 10027 | GHETTOHEAT.COM | @GHETTOHEAT | @HICKSONHOTNESS

Hickson I believe most of the changes technology enhancements have all been positive -- it is how the technology has been used, lately, where my problems come in.

People used to talk about a "digital divide" however the chasm is even wider today but there is less conversation about the discrepancy. Having a cell phone and a twitter account or being on facebook does nothing to narrow the gap -- in fact it creates the illusion that is isn't one. I'm not nearly as optimistic as I was 10 years ago when AALBC.com was a mere shell of what it is today.

HIckson, would you post a direct link to the magazine? Better yet start a new conversation with the magazine cover and a link to where it can be obtained.

PEACE! GHETTOHEAT®: THE HOTNESS IN THE STREETS!!!™ MAGAZINE IS ACTUALLY FREE DIGITALLY ONCE SUBSCRIBING TO IT, ALL PEOPLE HAVE TO DO IS REQUEST IT BY SENDING AN EMAIL TO ME: HICKSON@GHETTOHEAT.COM . THE PRINT VERSION (PRINT ON DEMAND) WILL BE AVAILABLE NEXT WEEK & WILL BE FOR SALE AT $10.00--IT'S QUARTERLY: FOUR ISSUES RELEASE PER YEAR. TO PREVIEW THE COVER, FOLKS CAN VISIT MY TWITTER PAGES: http://twitter.com/@HICKSONHOTNESS & http://twitter.com/@GHETTOHEAT , AS MY BACKGROUND ARTWORK & PROFILE PHOTO IS THE COVER. MY WEBSITE: WWW.GHETTOHEAT.COM IS BEING TOTALLY UPDATED, & THE MAGAZINE WILL BE ABLE TO BE OBTAINED THERE IN TIME, ALSO. I HOPE YOU ALL CHECK IT OUT & ENJOY THE MAGAZINE. I'M ACTUALLY WORKING ON THE FALL ISSUE AS WE SPEAK! :0)

HICKSON: CEO of GHETTOHEAT®

Publisher of GHETTOHEAT®, CONVICT’S CANDY, HARDER, AND GOD CREATED WOMAN, LONDON REIGN, SONZ OF DARKNESS, TANTRUM, LOVE DON'T LOVE NOBODY, THICKNESS, GHOST TOWN HUSTLERS, TRUALITY, DIRRRTY, CLUB AVENUE, TOUGH, UGLY/BEAUTIFUL: ME, SOME SEXY, & SKATE ON!

GHETTOHEAT® | P.O. BOX 2746 | NEW YORK, NY 10027 | GHETTOHEAT.COM | @GHETTOHEAT | @HICKSONHOTNESS

• 5 months later...