My Brother Can't Find a Job but Whitey's on Mars

I love the idea of space exploration and would like to go into outer-space myself.

When the US landed a SUV sized vehicle on Mars I could not help but be impressed by the ingenuity, creativity, concerted effort, time and money that went into the project. Like landing on he moon it was yet more evidence that given the resources and the commitment there is very little man can accomplish.

So then, why are some many problems, which are much easier to solve, than placing a mobile laboratory on the Red Planet allowed to fester while people die, stuffer and loose their minds as a result?

Of course given on the crop down here on planet Earth I could not help but be reminded of Gill Scott Heron's Poem.

Whitey on the Moon

A rat done bit my sister Nell.

(with Whitey on the moon)

Her face and arms began to swell.

(and Whitey's on the moon)

I can't pay no doctor bill.

(but Whitey's on the moon)

MIsplaced priorities remain an ongoing problem in this country. The space program is pretty much kaput, and this is unfortunate because it stifles's man's innate urge to seek new frontiers. But America thinks its more important to wage war and pour trillions of dollars into inner space, hoping to buy the loyalty of countries who hate our guts.

Health care should be an entitlement to every citizen but Romney and company think keeping taxes on the rich low is what should take precedence. Tea Partyers and the NRA want to look backward, yearning for colonial times instead of dealing with the challenges of the new millineum. Disgusting.

Whenever I get into arguments on FaceBook or on this site, adversaries often imply that I am bitter, hinting that something is amiss in my personal life. Bitter about my circumstances? Hell no! I'm more fortunate than most when it comes to family and finances and health. Totally skeptical about this f--ked up world? Hell yes! Frustrated by Obama but always driven back into his corner by these damned right-wing conservative Republicans? Yes! Tired of white racism? Yes. Fed up with Blacks being their own worst enemy? Yes!

A cynic? Damned right. Never surprised with how unscrupulous and greedy people of all races are, so many of them embezzling public funds and exploiting taxpayers with their corrupt double-dealing. Jaded? yep. So tired of airhead celebrities and their self-absorbed superficiality, disinterested in TV reality shows and their idiotic participants, sick of religious hypocrites and fanatics.

A truth seeker? Yes! The most daunting quest of all because the truth too often hurts.

I'm done. Back to Gil Scott Heron. Sorry. 'Got carried away...

• Like 1

Cynique, I completely feel you! All in, it will take about 1/2 a million dollars to provide a college education for my kids, that was in line with the education that I obtained 30 years ago. That does not include paying for private school since they were in nursery school. This to me is crazy!!? By the way, did I say that I don't have $0.5 million?

Sure I could opt out of sending them to college, send attend a local community college, or make them play but lets be serious. For a country like the US a university education should be an entitlement along with health care. Today a world class education is ONLY for the rich. If you don't have some serious paper -- you better be a genius to get in and graduate from a decent 4 year school. Of course opportunities for a decent education vary from state to state - but the point is valid in general

If we spent a few dollars making American smarter that would actually help the space program...

I think one of the disadvantages of getting older is that you can see more easily how things will play out -- because you have the benefit of experience -- which only comes with age. Unfortunately it appears youth is what is valued rather than experience. Everything on network TV and increasing the Internet seem to reflect this preoccupation with catering to 12 years olds or people with 12 year old mentalities.

I stopped engaging people on Facebook, they way I might here, folks. People really don't listen there and egos are SO much more fragile on Facebook. Facebook really is the poster child for the dumbing down of our culture.

On a sadder note: Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, died today at 82. RIP

• 2 weeks later...

Man oh man! I hear you both loud and clear! Cynique if someone thinks of you as bitter, based on your posts, I think that shows they lack critical thinking skills. Your posts make people think and you're right - the truth hurts sometimes. With that said, here's my truth: Facebook is disgusting! I'm sorry. I told myself I wouldn't go there. But it's true. My newsfeed stays clogged up with dumb shit, a constant reminder that I'm electronically linked to people that I can't learn anything from. The ones who I wouldn't mind interacting with have disappeared. Like me, they seem to have rejected the platform and moved on...back to real life I guess. Troy I hope that you don't stop engaging folks here. I rather like this site and always walk away with something to ponder.

• Like 1

Writegirl870. Thanks for the kind words. I really wish I had the time to delve deep into the phenomenon that is Facebook. From it's obviously (at least to me) over-hyped stock price, to the social implications for children in schools, to the control and ownership of our personal data -- Facebook is a monster out of control 2nd only to Google.

There is some, albeit a very small percentage, of good stuff happening on Facebook, But like the rest of the internet the good stuff is crowded out by the garbage. There is not such thing as balance. I still log into Facebook a few time a day to share content posted on AALBC.com. But for the most part I don't use it very much for personal reasons beyond the posting of a few photos.

While I have 5,300 friends most of my actual friends don;t use Facebook.