Thoughts at large

Well, it's Friday and since nothing much else is poppin, I'll indulge and amuse myself by putting the "Cynique" in Cynique's corner and make some observations about - nothing. :blink:

Prince was in Chi-Town for a 3-day engagement. The ol boy can still generate interest and excitement. Tickets to his concert were a hot item. All of his middle-aged fans who grew up with him were hustling up the money for tickets, none of which were under $125.00; this in addition to the exorbitant parking costs attendng this event would include. My FaceBook community was all agog with anticipation. My daughter made the gesture of asking me if I wanted to go with her because I usually try to catch him when he’s in town. But I’m all laid up with an injured foot and I knew I couldn’t handle the strain. Not only that, I’m still stuck on old school Prince and you never know whose going to show up at his engagements; the Prince giving his faithful fans what they want to hear, or the Artist who wants to unload a lot of new shit on you. :ph34r:

Anyhow, reviews of his first night were luke warm mostly because there were equipment glitches which delayed the start of the show and hampered his performance. His 2nd and 3rd nights got rave reviews, however, and to the delight of his fans, the Prince they all know and love treated them to some vintage Prince, rockin guitar riffs and dousing them in "Purple Rain", even springing Chicago’s own Jennifer Hudson on them as a surprise guest. Time may bring change, but Prince defies the years and reportedly looks and acts the same. I can remember, when my daughter was in high school, the poster she had of him on her bedroom wall, a reproduction of his first album cover, with him sporting a huge Afro. Now, 30-something years later, the afro is back to complement the indelible eye-liner and inimitable strut that never went away. All hail his royal highness! Longevity is what it’s all about. :unsure:

Michelle Obama is due in town this week-end to host yet another fund raiser. The damn election is almost here but these high-priced affairs are still being held to raise money for the campaign. How many millions do you need to run TV ads for 6 weeks?? Maybe the Democrats could skim a little bit off the top of the defense budget to finance their campaign, - stop spending trillions on those futile, senseless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and use the money for domestic issues. Is it any wonder that voter registration is down? A lot of people don’t care who gets in. I, myself, may even skip the Obama-Romney debates coming up, because although everything else is expensive, talk is cheap. <_<

I guess everybody knows Chicago’s resident wife killer, the infamous Drew Peterson was found guilty. Now his lawyers are threatening to sue each other for defamation after they publicly began to accuse each other of being to blame for the verdict which wiped the smug expression off Drew’s face. Actually it’s hard to not convict a man of murdering his 3rd wife when his 4th one is now missing, and her friends report that she confided to them that ol Drew had made her lie about his whereabouts during the time her predecessor was determined to have died. :o

The Chicago teacher strike ended with the Mayor Rahm Emanuel having his free lunch handed to him by the union. Yet, the employees of the public school warehouses still don’t seem satisfied with the increased pay and benefits they are getting for turning out bad products. Not to be outdone, a black suburban teacher was fired from his job for self-publishing his own text book, instructing young people on how to get passing grades in their sex lives, his little manual being replete with details describing how the anatomy of the female private parts differ from ethnic group to ethnic group… ;)

I wish I could come up with something more important to write about. Just be grateful I didn’t broach the subject of 2 new reality shows, one starring little beauty contest queen, 6-year-old Honey-Boo Boo and her red neck, trailer park trash family of degenerates who must be an embrassment to even the most rabid of white supremists. The other show follows the life of 22-year-old “conjoined” twins, Abbey and Brittany, - "conjoined" as in one body having 2 heads. These perky blond gals, who finish each other sentences, consented to star in their own show because they wanted the world to see how “normal” they are. :wacko: (Forgive me, Jesus.)

I'm done. :P

• Like 4

Vintage Cynique :wub:

You know what? I hate the very idea of "reality" TV. But the conjoined twins show sounds not only interesting but down right intriguing. I'll check it out. I've heard so much about honey-boo-boo I'll cast all caution to the wind and record that two.

Barack was in NY City this week, tying up traffic. The problem I have with this election is that the candidates are projected to spend up to 3 Billion dollars. -- THREE BILLION!? This is crazy. Our votes don't mean shit! You vote with money and nobody reading this has enough money to cast a vote that means anything.

Ahmadinejad was giving the Jews hell in New York City. Obama has his hands full. The last fundraiser he held here was $40k a plate. Bill Clinton emails me asking for $5 most days and Obama (that is what the caller id says) calls twice a day. I'm about to contribute something just to get them to leave me alone -- though I don't think that will work.

I glad Rahm got waxed. The NAACP is suing our board of education. Say the specialized schools here are not letting enough Black kids in. They aren't.

Prince rarely disappoints as a performer. The surprise guests are always a treat. Ticket prices are outrageous, but you can easily spend more on a sporting event... Besides I hear it is really difficult for musicians to make money selling music anymore.

I have to clean up my office. Good evening Cynique and anyone else out there :)

So for some reason I have insomnia and of course that means I have to check the board. And my dear Cynique does not disappoint. It's been a minute since I've truly "laughed out loud"...you know that type of laugh that catches you off guard and makes you spit your drink across the table at your friend, spouse, child, or vacant space? Well that's what happened (sans spitting of the drink) when I read that last lil part. And now I must ask Jesus to forgive me. Thanks Cynique! I needed this.

I saw commercials for Honey Boo Boo and the Twins. That was enough. My 19year old daughter watched Honey Boo Boo and was traumatized...walked around with a blank stare for several minutes before trying to describe whatever it was these folks were doing. Something about a mud festival??? wth?

Cynique & Troy, I hear you both loud and clear regarding the insane amount of money connected to this election. Mind-boggling! I just don't get it. Yet, when I tried to say something about it, somehow my fam translated my complaint into an anti-Obama rant. And oh LAWD why did I even say ANYTHING at all? You'd have thought I said I wanted to bring back slavery! smh

p.s. Hope your foot gets better soon!

Y'all are bad :( I ain't even gonna play with poking fun a two person ( guess it is really two people huh)...

I have to say until I searched for this video that I had no clue there were someone alive with two heads! TWO HEADS!?! This is astonishing! I would stop and watch this if I were channel surfing. The program seems to be done without treating them (they really are to people) like a freak show. In fact the apparent normalcy of their lives is almost bizarre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkKWApOAG2g

This seems to be the full program season 1 episode 3. Now I have zero interest in this show after watch the first few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0z7OPvs4Lg

I think there are quite a few conjoined twins w/two heads. Saw these girls on the commercial for their show & was shocked that they'd even want to do reality tv. Sign of the times I guess. Erbody wants to be seen and liked and loved and accepted and whatnot. That's crazy to me...that ppl care so much about what strangers think. Then again, maybe they want them checks. Kind of like why ppl write and then try to sell books. But hey, if they want to go for it, they can knock themselves out I suppose. But they better be prepared for some feedback. You put yourself out there, somebody is bound to say something. I don't think I'll watch mainly bc they are folks w/a story that doesn't interest me. Plus, I've seen a story about conjoined twins before. I want to say their names were Dori and Lori? Or something like that. One of them was wheeled around in a cart next to the sister. Anybody remember them?

No comment on Honey Boo Boo's mama. :mellow:

She might try to fight me.

I wasn't recommending these reality shows, Troy. Just commenting on them. I've just watched snippets of them myself because I'm not that keen on wasting my time eavesdropping on people whose lives I have no great interest in.

Yes, Writergirl, they're a lot of conjoined twins out there; they used to be called Siamese twins, named after a set who were the first ones medical history reported about. Their names were Eng and Chan and they were born in what is now Thailand but was called "Siam" back then. They married and had children and everything. They were joined at the side. Today, many of these couples can be separated by surgery.

And, yes, I remember the ones you referred to. They were joined at the head and one's body was deformed, so her sister had to push her around in a supermarket cart. It was a sight that made an onooker uncomfortable just looking at how uncomfortable they seem to be trying to navigate because they were joined half way at the forehead and their heads were all twisted around. Quite a while back, there was also a black pair of conjoined twins that were joined at the top of their skulls and their mobility was quite awkward, too. People had to walk around them when they approached because they took up a lot of room trying to walk side-by-side. They actually formed an arch. Although they had separate bodies, they died within hours of each other, and a special casket was made to bury them in. They sometimes appeared on TV, and actually, were kinda cool, - even smoked cigarettes. I also remember seeing pictures of a 2-heads on one body case that were born in Russia. It seems the State took them over and kind of kept them hidden away for study purposes. (I didn't have to google any of this because these are things that, seen during the course of a life time, are never forgotten.)

To me, the remarkable thing about these human beings is, because they have never known any other way to be, they manage to adjust and live their lives as best they can. And their abnomalties don't seem to have broken their spirits. They're inspiring in a way, because nobody could look at them without thinking that: "there, but for the grace of god, go I."

I'm sure the need for money is why these people allowed themselves to be exploited.

I did not think you were recommending these shows Cynique. I was just commenting on the shows myself.

The other cases of cojoined twins were basically people with two bodies that were joined somehow -- but the two head thing is a first for me. In fact they should just say "two headed human" co-joined is misleading.

If someone wanted to pay me to follow me with a camera I would strongly consider it. And if I had to behave even moronic than I normally do for ratings and the promise of a easy pay check -- no problem. :D

Troy you are right! To say conjoined IS misleading and I think that's why I blew this whole thing off. When the commercial flashed on tv I just glossed over it and kept on doing whatever it is I was doing at the time. I had to look again at this still-frame of the video clip you posted. WOW! That is trippy! It took my brain a minute to register what it was seeing. One body. Two heads. That is something new to me too.