THE NEGRO SOLDIER.

ON THE DOCUMENTARY CHANNEL, A DOCUMENTARY ON NEGRO SOLDIERS.SEEMS ALMOST EVERY WAR THIS COUNTRY HAS BEEN IN, BLACK SOLDIERS HAVE BEEN IN...SHOWED CLIPS OF BLACK SOLDIERS FROM WORLD WAR 1..WORLD WAR 2, TUSKEGEE PILOTS, ALL BLACK INFANTRY, A BRIEF CLIP OF BENJAMIN O. DAVIS, LATER IN TIME BECOMING GENERAL...AND SOMETHING NOT TALKED ABOUT MUCH. BLACK WORLD WAR 2 SOLDIERS HONORED BY THE PEOPLE OF FRANCE..IT WAS INTERESTING...../

• Like 5

Yeah I saw that too. I find myself watching youtube videos on TV more than anything else. People have uploaded and shared so much fascinating content it is really amazing..

I hope people will one day think of some of my videos in that way: http://www.youtube.com/aalbc

You don't have to wait, Troy. You're a legend in your own time considering all you have accomplished. ;)

I'm still a fan of that ol dinosaur, called television. If you have expanded cable, there are really a wealth of educational programs and documentaries that are soooo interesting and informative to watch. I hardly ever look at prime time TV anymore. I prefer The Science, The Discovery. The National Geographic,The Smithsonian, and The Learning (TLC) channels. And because I like my crime shows to be authentic I also watch The ID channel which features true crime docu-dramas. I still like live sport shows, too, and, of course, PBS which ol MItt is threatening to cut funding for.

We all knock the media, but it can also provide informative and riveting entertainment whether it be via TV or the Internet.

BTW, back in 1917, during WWI a brigade of black soldiers landed in France and, later, were also honored by France for their bravery on the battle field.

In respect to black soldiers, I've said this before but I'll share again... my great-great-great grandfather fought in the Civil War. Well, actually he was stationed on a small island now known as The Arsenal Island. Listen, I am sure we all have stories of struggle. It's been said that if a man controls your mind, he controls you. I am not the type that blames others for my faults. However, if a person's dreams and hopes are deferred by limited exposure , who's to blame? Maybe no one, because in doing so, we look back and not forward. When I think about the dreams of my grandfather, I know he looked forward to a day in which he would no longer be a slave, that day came. In 1861 he was released from slavery and joined the 108th Colored Infantry, made up of former slaves from Kentucky. While a slave he was responsible for the care of the farm animals. He was in essence an animal doctor. Skills in hand, he headed North (He used those skills after he got out of the army). He was stationed at Fort Armstrong, later renamed Arsenal Island, a picturesque 3-mile strip of land in the Mississippi River. After his stint in the Civil War, he settled into a white community on the banks of Mississippi River in northern Illinois. The colored infantryman's duties were guarding Confederate prisoners of war. Yeah, imagine that? But check this, we never know how our actions will affect those who come behind us. My father and my wife are now buried on that same Island,

Troy, on the issue of youtube videos, what did you mean by you hope people will one day think of some of your videos in "that" way?

Hey Troy, I didn't know about your youtube collection. I just subscribed and will be checking those out. I'm sure they're going to be interesting. Cynique you and I have favorite tv channels in common. I have to get my weekly dose of true crime and I love The ID Channel and also many of the others you mentioned. Careycarey you are fortunate to know those interesting stories about your relatives. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks WG870, I love sharing our journey. And I take pride in knowing where I came from and more importantly, I adore sharing the struggles of those who came before us. To that point, I believe it's our responsibility to pass down our journey to this new generation, as those in power continue to "white-wash" our history.