Ohio Bus Driver Uppercuts Teen Girl

Has anyone seen the video going viral on youtube? Teen girl talking trash to city bus driver. Bus driver says something like "I'll get my granddaughter on you" and the teen continues to be loud, disrespectful, in his face, yadda yadda yadda until she hauls off and hits him. And then it goes completely downhill from there.

What in the world is happening? I'm sure those of us who have ridden the city bus in many parts of Chicago and other major cities have seen this type of aggressive behavior out of our youth. So in a way, this isn't a surprise. But now with youtube, the whole world gets to see some of the ignorance that REALLY goes on in some of our communities. I can recall riding the bus and seeing something similar to this, although in that case the adult was a passenger and chose not to fight the child. I also recall shopping on the West Side of Chicago w my daughter when a group of teens wanted to jump her merely because they didn't like the way she talked - too proper, too "white"...yes, in this day and age we're still doing that.

So we've always known that we've got these types of issues in our community. But how do you feel about the world, through youtube, having the inside scoop on our dirty laundry? Nowadays everybody's got their phones out, willing and waiting to post the outrageous behaviors. Will seeing ourselves on camera like this - knowing that the whole world sees it to - help us to think twice before embarrassing ourselves? Or does it make matters worse? Or neither?

• Like 4

No I had not seen this video (I posted it below). It was actually hard to find as there were so many "reaction" videos where others were goofing on the original video. The behavior of both the bus driver and the girl were are atrocious.

I think recording an posting these videos makes matters worse, as it actually trivializes the behavior. There is also a financial incentive for people to record this stupidity an share it on yourtube. There are commercials from BMW on these videos for Christ sake!. People unfortunately make money on these videos. This is another one of my gripes against Google (but that is another story).

You are may have heard about all the police shootings in NYC. You may not have heard about all the folks following the police with cell phones and ipads filming the shooting -- risking their lives. In a recent shooting 9 innocent bystanders were shot by the police. I'd be willing to bet money at least one of them were trying to record it.

Here is another video I found while looking for the one above. I recorded a similar fight right outside my window a few years ago. I thought about posting on youtube myself, but thought better of doing it as I could not think of a single positive thing that could come of it.

All people are doing are exploiting the idiocy of others for fun and monetary gain. Kinds of reminds you of the network news, huh?

"Kinds of reminds you of the network news, huh?"

Yes! And what's funny is, I caught the episode of South Park where they talked about how we as a society have lowered the bar for ourselves. They spoofed Honey Boo Boo and her mother and made a few other points. From the Internet to the television everything is about outrageous reality garbage.

I'm almost speechless over the direction Society seems to be taking. The Internet and all of these hand-held electronic gadgets are as much a curse as they are a blessing. You could offer the same excuse about these devices as folks do about guns. They are just enablers for what people want to do. And a couple of the more popular things people like to do is bully or make a sex tape - if they can stop texting longer enough.

In this social media realm, everybody wants what they don't have. Nonentities want to become famous and YouTube is a venue for attracting attention. Celebrities want to guard their privacy and the paparizzi invade it.

FaceBook has become a gigantic bulletin board where people can post their messsages and share their lives and vent their anger. It's like a vast refuge from the real world where nobody really gives a damn about your politics and your exceptional children and your trust in the lord...

And, course, there's reality TV. What can I say?

All things considered, I believe society is worse off as a result of social media. As it exaggerates the worst in us.

Of course social media, like any tool, is what the user makes of it.

For example, I really like Youtube (for now), there are SO MANY great interviews, conversations, debates archival videos -- pick a subject and you can find really deep and compelling content -- you don't have to know video like the ones I shared above even exist. But if you wanted, you can spend years watching "garbage" videos -- the choice is yours

Freedom to chose is in contrast to Facebook and Twitter -- you really can't control your experience. What appears on your wall for example is largely out of your control -- sure you can control who you "friend" and whose updates you see. But if you friend wants to post garbage, garbage is what you will see on you wall. Twitter is the same.

There might be some great things that I really want to see transpiring on Twitter and facebook -- I just can not find them. When I do find something interesting it takes all of two minutes before it degrades comcpletely.

Plus getting the right people to see my content becomes increasingly difficult over time. Of course the solution to get the right eyes on your content is to buy ads, but this furture exasperates the problem. Content now skews to big companies producing content with the broadest possible appeal.

Facebook and Twitter will only become worse as attempts to wring higher and higher revenues from these platforms further degrade the user experience.