Leonard Pitts, Jr. - Pulitzer Prize winning commentator and novelist

Troy

Leonard Pitts, Jr..

Thankfully one of my eNewsletter subscribers turned me on to Leonard Pitt's latest novel "Freeman". Pitts' is an excellent writer and I have no problem going out on a limb and recommending his latest -- without ever having read it. Sounds crazy, but Pitts is that good.

I have to admit that I'm astonished that I have not heard a single thing about this book, other than the email I got today. Actually I'm not really surprised at all, mostly disappointed and frustrated.

In 2012 a guy who runs a website, arguably "the" website, on Black books can go completely unaware, for half a year, that a writer of Leonard Pitts' caliber has published a novel of historical fiction (love really) about newly free black people trying to reconstitute their families.

Over time I see more and more evidence that despite all this social media real information is not being shared. Any real information shared is crowded out by nonsense.

I've been reading Leonard Pitts Jr's commentary for several years. Specifically his newspaper column (always loved them). However, not until reading this post, did I know anything else about the man. I certainly didn't know he was Pulitzer prize winner.

Giving one's "opinion" in a column is quite different than writing a novel, however, like you Troy,based on his "voice", writing style and his ability to engage me, I will have to check out his latest offering.