Dr. Neil deGrass Tyson Interview: thoughts on Writing, Mars, Curiosity, and the Higgs Boson

Author Sandra Kitt, who I believe is Kensington's first Black romance author, who also worked with Dr. Tyson for 2 decades has generously agreed to provide me with an exclusive interview with Dr. Tyson. My schedule, unfortunately would not allow me to record the interview -- Tyson is hard to nail down with a schedule that make me look like I'm standing still.

neil-degrass-tyson-aalbc-drop.jpg

Kitt was one of the 1st authors profiled on AALBC.com and she was written, I'd guess, about 40 books or more by now. I recently connected with her for the first time in over a decade at our last Black Pack Party.

Thanks again Sandra.

Bill Maher??? That notorious atheist who ridicules the idea of god in a "mockumentary" entitled "Religulos" available on YouTube?? Neil degrasse Tyson? An agnostic physicist who wonders about the mysteries of the universe???? What could a gelatinous disciple of "stablility" like you possibly find to tolerate about these 2, Pioneer???? I thought you advised black folks to steer clear of "crafty" men like them. :ph34r:

I like Tyson, too. He is a staple on the Science, Discovery and National Geographic Channels, but this analogy certainly isn't original or profound. Every since I was a little girl, before Tyson was even born, I've been hearing people, myself included, advance the possibility of earthlings being to aliens, what ants or other inhuman forms of life are to us. He's at his best when he's expounding on quatum physics and worm holes and string theories. :o

I'm mature enough to accept people on their own term; and I'm analytical enough in my thinking to extract the value from people I may disagree with if it serves a particular purpose.

Now I STRONGLY disagree with Bill Maher's positon as an atheist and actually find some of his racial commentary rather insulting, however when it comes to certain political issues he's dead on point and makes his point like few others can.

Should I boycott his show and refuse to listen to anything he has to say because we disagree on theological grounds?

Should I throw the iron out with the rest of the ore, or should I extract what I need and make use of it?

No, Tyson's position is nothing new. Our desire to anthropomorphize everything from pets to aliens is our remarkable. While we are all presented with pretty much the same information we all see the world differently -- often wildly different. Tyson, like you see Cynique see the world in a way that makes sense to me and you two are much better at describing it and why than I.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Pioneer, you hold yourself to a different set of rules than you do others and are quick to come up with a rationale to justify your vacillating. I can't draw what I want from different philosophical tenets, but you can pick and choose what you agree with when it comes to people like Bill Maher who you are a "semi fan" of. I rest my case.

It's funny Troy, ideas and theories have always come to me - from out of nowhere. When I was younger, I thought I had reached conclusions that others hadn't and prided myself with being an original thinker. As I got older and wiser, I realized that there were many other people who either came before me or were my contemporaries, who had explored ideas and come up with the same conclusions I did, and a lot of them wrote books and belonged to like-minded groups who'd carved a place for themselves in the annals of the Humanities.

I didn't come across a certain discipline and decide I wanted to align my thinking with it. Inspirations would come to me and I'd later discover that what I arrogantly thought was an ephiphany already existed. That is probably why I have a habit of declaring things. I feel like I'm speaking a truth that has validity because it is shared by many others, and that gives it as much veracity as an opposing view.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Pioneer, you hold yourself to a different set of rules than you do others and are quick to come up with a rationale to justify your vacillating. I can't draw what I want from different philosophical tenets, but you can pick and choose what you agree with when it comes to people like Bill Maher who you are a "semi fan" of. I rest my case.

It's funny Troy, ideas and theories have always come to me - from out of nowhere. When I was younger, I thought I had reached conclusions that others hadn't and prided myself with being an original thinker. As I got older and wiser, I realized that there were many other people who either came before me or were my contemporaries, who had explored ideas and come up with the same conclusions I did, and a lot of them wrote books and belonged to like-minded groups who'd carved a place for themselves in the annals of the Humanities.

I didn't come across a certain discipline and decide I wanted to align my thinking with it. Inspirations would come to me and I'd later discover that what I arrogantly thought was an ephiphany already existed. That is probably why I have a habit of declaring things. I feel like I'm speaking a truth that has validity because it is shared by many others, and that gives it as much veracity as an opposing view.

"Brandy" certainly is a fine girl ain't she.....lol

But you really should ease up on her.

Anyway, a clip of the brother on Bill Maher's show: