Have you experienced mental telepathy?

Well, Troy, to believe in predestination implies that everything happens for a reason and that a higher power is in charge, manipulating events . What's more of a story designed to placate people than that? Attributing everything to god's will or to a scientific principle can be a rationale or a postulation that is assumed to be right, but whatever the explanation, it is man-made.

Randomness would not apply to the conditions you put on a person dropping an egg. An experiment is not random. You could impulsively throw the egg and spontaneous outside factors that could not be measured or pinpointed because they disappeared could have an inexplicable effect on the splatter.

No, the result of a decision cannot be predicted accurately because anything could happen in life's state of flux. But whatever decision one makes, the outcome may or may not be different from the outcome of your having made another decision. Randomness is random.

• Like 1

I believe in predestination and free will at the same time.

It of easier to predict the group than the individual.

I don't think we will ever be able to predict the weather. There are about seven factors that influence weather. Like the wind and the sun, which are pretty unpredictable.

but they may model it in the future.

Hummm. How strange is this, Pioneer? I thought I had included a paragraph on parallel universes in the post I made last night. But I guess I decided to delete it - or somebody or something decided it for me.......Some time I feel like cyber gremlins mess with me... A couple of times I have written irate e-mails to people, -letters that could've had some undesired consequences. When I was finished with them they would disappear as if I had highlighted them in preparation for backspacing and deleting them. Which could've happened by accident. Anyway, they would just be gone. I'm sure you'll be amused that one of the e-mails was to a deacon board of the church where my grandson's funeral services were held. I was particuarly upset because he was a 20-year-old victim of a drive-by shooting. I was furious because of the way they interfered with how we wanted the services to be conducted. If the caustic letter had arrived, my daughter may have been ostracized by the congregation of which she was a member. I thought then, that maybe from another dimension, the spirit of my adored and beloved grandson might not have wanted this to happen to his mother who he was so close to, even if he was more like me in temperment, and that because of this, he aligned his energy with cyber waves and caused the letter to vanish. A couple of months later, I had his named tattooed on my wrist, a gesture inspired by a desire to thumb my nose at stodgy people. But I digress...

When it comes to parallel universes, I went a little further considering the multi-verse theory, which holds that our earthly personas are constantly shifting into different spheres, each one the location of the resulting scenario that comes with the decisions you make. There was once a Twilight Zone episode based on this idea.

All of this is so mind-boggling that I'm beginning to relate more and more to Edgar Allen Poe's suggestion that "all that we see or seem, is just a dream within a dream".

• Like 1

Cynique

"Hummm. How strange is this, Pioneer? I thought I had included a paragraph on parallel universes in the post I made last night. But I guess I decided to delete it - or somebody or something decided it for me..."

"Speak your latent conviction. . . Else tomorrow a stranger will say with masterly good sense precisely what we have thought and felt all the time, and we shall be forced to take with shame our own opinion from another.” -Emerson: Self-Reliance

"When it comes to parallel universes, I went a little further considering the multi-verse theory, which holds that our earthly personas are constantly shifting into different spheres, each one the location of the resulting scenario that comes with the decisions you make. There was once a Twilight Zone episode based on this idea."

Just to keep it accurate from my perspective.........

I use the term Parallel Universe initially for peope to understand what I'm talking about. I actually believe there is only one Universe with multiple (perhaps an infinite) number of realities/realms within it.

But I understand what you're saying and I often thought about it myself when I think about things that have happened in my past and how it shapes my life today.

For example what if I had chosen to drive to get something to eat at Taco Bell instead of walking to Subway 10 years ago, would that have made any difference as to where I am in my life today?

DID I choose Taco Bell already in another realm?

-I've never hit anyone with my car, but if I did choose Taco Bell did that other person hit a pedestrian crossing street?

-Did I meet a rich person at Taco Bell that I might have struck up a conversation with and eventually became a business partner with making me a rich man now?

-Would I have decided to sit down and eat there and in walked a woman I fall in love with and now I have a wife and 3 children?

Or would nothing have changed besides maybe wasting 15 or 20 extra minutes to drive over to get the tacos as opposed to just walking around the corner to Subway?

Years ago I went to New Orleans to become a police officer but then changed my mind at the last minute. Years afterwards they had the flood where a lot of officer's homes were destroyed and some even took their own lives. By the way, it's things like this that lends credance to what Troy was saying about predestination which is why I believe SOME things are predestined.

But if there ARE multiple destinies and multiple realms where other things have taken place other than what happens in your current.....

If there are multiple "tracts" of separate lives that each decision can lead to.....

Then ultimately, there would be a way to access these "tracts" of individual reality at will.

Rather than trying to change the course of our life, you can change into a different life itself!

In a world where over 75% of the universe is said to consist of dark energy, I believe that there are multiple realms. But different "parallel" destinies are also very possible.

Infact, it is possible that somewhere.....

Somewhere in another time in another space....

You're actually a submissive little Catholic nun who finds the greatest joy making and baking the daily bread for the rest of the Convent.

• Like 1

Cynique my belief in predestination implies no such thing as "higher power is in charge". If does not exclude it either.

I figured that myself.

Actually, when you made your statement on predestination I thought I may have been in reference to genetic predispositions like intelligence level, addictions, physical abilities, ect... that determined people's desires and behaviors and thus their future.

Well, Pioneer, Delano, and Troy, maybe in other universes we are all dead because of decisions we made and perhaps that is what death is; the ultimate result of a decision we made someplace somewhere at some time.

The idea of my future being a part of your past is really intriguing, Delano, along the lines of the idea that a person who is unable to fall asleep, is awake in somebody else's dream.

I really relate to the quote by Emerson, Pioneer. But me being a bread baking nun in another universe would raise the question about our core personalities and the idea that who we innately are determines the decisions we would have to make. something comparable to the idea that a silver coin could never exist as a gold one in another universe, no matter what decision is made.

Predestination does imply that there is order to the universe, Troy. Who or what do you think does the predetermining, and do you think you are predestined to vascillate about what you simultaneously believe and don't believe, a story you have created to make yourself feel comfortable.

Then there's reincarnation, a whole other ball game...

Cynique

"Well, Pioneer, Delano, and Troy, maybe in other universes we are all dead because of decisions we made and perhaps that is what death is; the ultimate result of a decision we made someplace somewhere at some time."

You don’t mean us in our current form, but actually our “other selves” right?

Who knows, maybe there IS NO DEATH in other dimensions.

....only a transfer from one realm to the next.

Ít’s interesting to me how I can dream about something one day and a year later pick right back up where I left off in that particular dream as if it was really happening but just in another realm.

"I really relate to the quote by Emerson, Pioneer. But me being a bread baking nun in another universe would raise the question about our core personalities and the idea that who we innately are determines the decisions we would have to make. something comparable to the idea that a silver coin could never exist as a gold one in another universe, no matter what decision is made."

I didn’t grasp the silver/gold coin analogy but I think atleast part of our personality is shaped by our experiences in life.

I certainly believe in a soul....what some call an essense....but just like exercise and trauma can change a the physical body, I believe knowledge and experiences can change the mental body. We all know people who experienced things that totally change who they were from that point on.

The experiences of a woman who was born Black and raised under the somewhat oppressive somewhat turbulent social and political climate of the 20th century United States is going to be different than the experiences of a White woman born in....say....the 17th century of Ireland.

The same factors that may have led to you being a happy faced bread baking nun back then wouldn’t have existed for your current embodiement and thus would have bred a different personality and temperment.

Troy

I'm positive I can speak for others when I say we're curious.

What did you mean when you implied that humans don't have free will?

Tell us.

Like Sophia told Harpo, don't keep us waiting TOO long....lol.

Cynique

I didn’t grasp the silver/gold coin analogy but I think atleast part of our personality is shaped by our experiences in life.

I certainly believe in a soul....what some call an essense....but just like exercise and trauma can change a the physical body, I believe knowledge and experiences can change the mental body. We all know people who experienced things that totally change who they were from that point on.

The experiences of a woman who was born Black and raised under the somewhat oppressive somewhat turbulent social and political climate of the 20th century United States is going to be different than the experiences of a White woman born in....say....the 17th century of Ireland.

The same factors that may have led to you being a happy faced bread baking nun back then wouldn’t have existed for your current embodiement and thus would have bred a different personality and temperment.

How can you say you don't get the gold and silver coin analogy and then proceed to give an anaology that involves a black woman and a white one and the inevitability of what accrues to their decisions, Pioneer?

We are all individuals, and what makes us unique is what comprises our intrinsic make-up. So just because the decisions we make can change our lives, doesn't mean that it changes who we innately are. A decision may lead to a new scenario but it won't transform a person into something he isn't naturally capable of becoming. You can't turn a crunchy apple into a pulpy orange. Yes. plastic surgery can initiate superficial physical change, but choosing one option over another won't change a person of average intelligence into a genius. ...that's how I see it.......zzzzzzz.....

I should've made a distinction between dead and death, because I do co-sign to your idea that what we refer to as being dead may be a matter of shifting into another dimension and that, indeed, death does not exist.

• Like 1

Hmmmm..........

((Pioneer leans over and glares with his chin resting on his fist))

When you say inate intrinsic make-up I want to be sure you're not necessarily talking about our personalities.

Because a person's core being or soul isn't necessarily the same as their personality.

The more I study chemistry and it's effects on the brain and body the more I believe that much if not most of one's personality is not set on default but is largely a product of biochemical and envirnomental circumstances.

Your physical chemistry alone has more to do with your personality than you think, especially when it comes to hormones.

I've known women who were some of the sweetest and nicest until they got hysterectomies and then they changed into entirely different people. They became angry, voice deeper, less patient. But as soon as they started taking their medication treatment they turned back more gentle and feminine again.

Take a man with low testosterone and triple it and he'll have an entirely different demeanor and personality all together. He'll no doubt become more aggressive and some will even become more violent.

Even the shift from average intelligence to genius (which is definately part of one's personality) is still a matter of brain function and not necessarily their core essense of who they really are.

I know that taking fish oil increases my intelligence noticeably, yet I'm still me....lol....but with a better memory.

The core essense of a person must be beyond the physical bio/chemical or even personality.

Pioneer, I mean just that, "we don't have free will". We are machines, albeit sentient ones, basically fulfilling the programing of our genetics and environment. You basically touched on the matter when you described how our very personalities are impacted due to chemical or physiological changes.

But we can take it further; scientists can already predict choices you will make before you are conscious of having made a choice and they can even control the choices we make.

Every rationale we can dream up for why we do something is not based upon reality, they are just stories craft and tell ourselves. Some stories are quite wonderful other are dangerous. They allow us to make accept the tragic shootings that occur and are largely ignored in cities like Philly, Newark, Chicago. They help us accept that the bodies we inhabit will eventually decay a cease to work.

These stories helped us survive enslavement as we had the hope of a better place and allowed others to believe taking another man's freedom was is OK, ordained even.

They are the stories that convince some that Obama is a great man who will do great thing for Black people if we are just patient.

Perhaps if our conscious were and not bound by our physical limitations we would know much more and maybe treat each other a little better.

Yet, how chemical and hormones affect someone, differs from person to person because of one's indivdual biological makeup. All pills and medical procedures come with a list of side effects that can occur depending on your intrinsic physiology. Different drugs have a different effect of different people. The dosage frequently has to be adjusted because what is too strong for one person may not be strong enough for another. For every woman whose personality drastically changes after a hysterectomy, there's another whose doesn't. For every man who becomes an aggressive drunk, there's another who alcohol mellows out. What one person is allergic to, another has no problem with. What's too salty to one person is bland to another, too sweet to one, not sweet enough to another.. Why? Because what we are is just as innate as who we are. Physically or mentally no 2 people are the same. It's not whether chemicals affect the personality, but to what degree they do, something that is dependent on our natural physicality.......zzzzzzzzzzzzz

The "stories" you speak of, Troy, serve as coping mechanisms. Reality can be challenging to deal with and can be elusive because, as you say, everybody has their own conception of what is real. Life is a exercise in adapting. Sanity and survival depend how we manage to adjust to what we are confronted with. Scientist don't control this. Our primitive instincts do. They are what got us this far. You endow scientists with too much power. Who is controlling them?? Are they taking credit for what they have programmed themselves to believe......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:( I don't give the scientists all the credit, I give humans credit, scientists are just one subset. The truth is complex and will not be completely told by a scientist or a spiritual leader -- perhaps in aggregate we will learn the truth.

I just think people ascribe too much, including inspiration, to ethereal sources, that could be much more easily ascribed to ourselves.

That's what I mean when I say "primitive instinct", Troy.  That can be ascribed to ourselves. 

But,  all that I say in these resposes, are the result of me just sitting down in front of the computer screen, placing my hands on the keyboard, and letting thoughts come to me. What you and Pioneer and Delano say, inspires my feedback.  I am not necessarily disputing y'all.  I'm just saying what I think, what pops in my head........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :mellow:

"I'm just saying what I think, what pops in my head."

Right Cynique.  All I'm adding is that we don't know really how our thoughts are created.  All the stuff about ideas (inspiration) coming from deceased loved ones, any form of ESP or a breaded white guy in the sky are not likely. 

• Like 1

I agree that certain things are beyond our control but I wouldn't go as far as to say that we are "machines". We still have a measure of free will and there is almost always a factor of personal responsibility in our behavior.

There's is a difference between INFLUENCE and CONTROL.
Our chemistry and genetics may influence our behavior but they definately don't control it.
And this is where morality comes in......

A man of low intelligence can accept his limitations and learn a skill that will allow him to make a decent living in life, or he can turn to robbing and stealing and spend much of his life in and out of jail because he was too lazy to learn how to work.

A man of high intellligence can either use his gift to discover the cure for cancer, or use it to develop a deadly chemical weapon for warfare.

The genetics are there but choices are still available to govern behavior; if this weren't the case then why punish your children or incarcerate adults for criminal behavior?

Troy has mentioned several times that scientists have often predicted what our thoughts are and what our choices will be before even we make them.
However, if THEY are the ones influencing and trying to control those thoughts and choices....this would make thier predictions a little easier wouldn't you say?

In other word...........
If I have conditioned you since birth to find blonde women with big mammaries attractive.
And now you're 25 and looking for a wife; is it THAT hard to predict that you'll go for a big breasted blonde?

If I've conditioned you to celebrate every occasion (good or bad) with alcoholic drink, is it THAT hard to predict that atleast one of your children will become an alcoholic?

It's not a a very impressive prediction when you're setting up the factors that you know will lead to a certain outcome.

• Like 1

Pioneer the idea that we control our choices is merely an illusion.  There is a incredible amount of variability in what we could do, but with sufficient intelligence we could know the outcomes.  In much the same way we could predict the weather, if we were smart enough.

But to our feeble minds the weather is too complex for us to understand.  Before we knew as much about the weather as we know today came up with stories to describe it too -- angry Gods and the like.  We even sacrificed each other to placate these imagined Gods.

Our genetics, our environment, my typing this message could have been predicted before the creation of this planet so many billions of years ago. 

But the complexity is so great, and we are so limited in our understanding, that whether we have control or not does not make a difference to us over the course of our lives.

What you are suggesting, Troy,  is that everything is all laid out, and we are just moving toward a goal that already exists.  Unless you can concede that this made-up story involves an entity who has plotted this scenario and you can prove this, then your insisting that we don't control our destinities could also be an illusion.  Yes, it is a compex situation, so to assert that something is an illusion is just as presumptive as to say it is not a illusion. It would be more prudent to simply say, we don't know one way or another. 

I don't propose that I KNOW anything I'm just telling you what I think about a particular idea.

Is it possible that some infinitely intelligent being (God) set our universe into motion almost 14 billion years ago? Sure.  Is it possible that there is some universal consciousness that we can all tap into, and derive inspiration?  Sure.  Is it possible that this very consciousness actually gives rise to our physical being, rather than the other way around? Why not?

All I'm saying is that given the physical nature of our being, indeed, the universe itself, that we can predict the eventual outcome of anything because the universe is not at all random, there are known physical laws.

That said;

On a quantum level if you look at a particle like an electron, you can't say precisely where it is at any given time.  All you can do is calculate the probability of where it will be might be but that is about it.  Some believe this fact leads to infinite possibles at a macro scale; believing there are an infinite number of universes a new one spawned anytime a decision is made. 

I could argue that we have complete control over our destinies, our universe even.  I was just interested examining the other idea...

• Like 1

Admin

You can "predict" what your little 3 or 4 year old child can do; doesn't mean he/she isn't making choices and has no control over themselves.

I personally think it's a mixture of both.
Some things about our selves we can control, others we have no control over.

Nor does ignorance about the role the Supreme Being and/or other deities play in our lives mean that they have no roles, any more than our lack of knowledge of what the military is doing means they aren't keeping the nation safe.....or because we've never met the police chief in our city and can't see what he's doing that he's not doing his job.

Mistakes and erroneous assumptions by man does not add or take away from Who and What God is any more than me calling you an illiterate drop-out takes away from your academic achievements.

If you believe things are planned, then there must be a Planner.

But I do agree with you that often times this world can be so amazingly complex and unpredictable that man has a habit of making up shit to deal with his inferiority complex.

Robert Greene (48 Laws of Power) said,
"The need for certainty is the greatest disease the mind faces"

Cynique

It would be more prudent to simply say, we don't know one way or another.

I agree.

It's one thing to say that everything is predetermined and planned, and you attribute those blueprints to an Infinite Being.

But to say everything is already predetermined and planned and set into motion.....THEN turn around and say that you don't know who did it or for what reason is a little spooky.  ((eyes wide))

It seems to be good material for the ultimate sci-fi thriller, lol

• Like 1

I am not certain whether it is likely or not. Since we don't know the cause. Also it doesn't necessarily follow that predestination requires a purpose or an intelligence. The beyond that gives birth is more than likely Mon human since it is beyond above time and beyond space. Although I can't think of a non probabilistic word.

"Determining is a willful act, it doesn't just happen at random."

I don't believe anything is random, even if it appears to be to us as such.

"If something is predetermined it had to be PLANNED from an intelligent Source."

If I drop and egg the outcome is predetermined. It requires no planning from and intelligent source.  Everything else that occurs is an extension of that analogy.

Del I'm not sure I understood everything you wrote, but I agree that "...it doesn't necessarily follow that predestination requires a purpose or an intelligence."

Perhaps the very conditions that gave rise to our existence also gave rise to our self-awareness, as opposed to the other way around.

Troy

If I drop and egg the outcome is predetermined. It requires no planning from and intelligent source. Everything else that occurs is an extension of that analogy.

But the action of dropping the egg in and of itself is a result of an intelligent source.
Some intelligent being had to make the conscious decision to drop the egg, or atleast handle it even if it were dropped by accident.

Again, I disagree.  Even the decision to drop an egg could have been predetermined in the same manner that we have the ability to predetermine the egg will break when it hits the hard floor. from 5 feet in the air.

Yes it could have.

But again, SOME INTELLIGENT BEING had to make the decision previously (pre-determine) to plan the act that takes place currently.

OK Pioneer we can regress or progress ad infinitum on that last point.

You believe in some presumably infinitely powerful, "intelligent" being is pulling all the strings (just for kicks I guess).  I do not believe that explanation is required to explain the universe.

Neither belief excludes the possibility of mental telepathy.

Admin

OK Pioneer we can regress or progress ad infinitum on that last point.
You believe in some presumably infinitely powerful, "intelligent" being is pulling all the strings (just for kicks I guess). I do not believe that explanation is required to explain the universe.

You apparently forgot when I told you:

"I personally think it's a mixture of both.
Some things about our selves we can control, others we have no control over."

How you got "an intelligent being pulling all the strings" from that is beyond me.

As far as this thread is concerned......lol.....progress will begin when you accurately understand my position that I believe SOME things are predetermined and SOME things are a matter of personal choice outside of any predestined factors that may affect our thinking.

Delano

Where would you put instincts,drive, and ambition in this discussion.

Instinct is a very subjective term, but drive and ambition I would categorize as emotions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anika, Del is still around  I'll forward your question to him and ask him to reply here.

In the meantime, I've never heard particular astrological sign corresponding to a specific racial group.  But as Pioneer can tell you there is not scientific basis for race, therefore an astrological sign's association to a particular racially group would not be possible.

Though it would be interesting to hear Del's take -- he is the expert on the subject.

Thanks for replaying. I am currently reading Tetrabiblios by Prolemy. He says that certain countries are ruled by certain signs and planets. Initially I was going to say no. However I think it is more likely that regions fall under astrological influences. Black folks like bass, White folks like treble a la Dave Chapelle. Could be an interesting project but I wouldn't undertake it, because if it's successful it could be seen as racist. It just seems like a thankless task. Although every couple of years I work on some project along the same lines.

I think it would be more successful if you dud it using numerology. I probably could do it unscientifically with a small sample

My guess would be that more expressive people/races would have names first or last ending in vowels.

I do not consider myself an expert, I am a practitioner.

Thanks for your prompt response.

I guess some could turn it into a racist thing. But the littleI had read on this subject wasn't  like that at all. 

Like the sign of Aries correspond to Caucasian race. This makes sense to me, since some of the traits of this sign  

is:

adventurous= a positive trait

pioneering= positive trait

courageous=a positive trait

daredevil and foolhardy= negative traits.

We know as a group [not as individuals] Caucasians tend to have some of these traits.

[Just an example]

I don't remember what races the other signs corresponded with. I think it was Capricorn that corresponded with the black race but I'm not sure of the reasons why.

Anyway I was just curious about your opinion on this.

I do believe there's something to astrology. One of the most interesting books I have read on this subject is called:

'The Secret Language of Birthdays" by Gary Goldschneider and Joost Elffers. Some may find it eerie. It goes by one's  exact birthdate [ although not the year].

Yes
the Secret Language is good, but if you have a copy of your chart and
know the aspects, I would recommend the Spiritual Approach to Astrology
by Myrna Lofthus , or Astrology a Cosmic Science by Isabel Hickey.

Being an astrologer I believe there is something to it as well.

Again
I think it is more sound to look at regions, even more so than
countries. Since most countries have regional difference and you are
take the location in addition to the time into account. I believe there
are more difference with in a country than between a country, this is
more true for true for countries that have a racial or cultural
diversity. I would say that Italians and Spainiards are more similar to
each other than, Germans and the Dutch. I also think you find a
different between Southern and Northern Regions of the country. In the
US, India and Italy for example the Southerners are more relaxed. In
Australia it is the reverse.

In
Tarot I feel Wands are people of African Descent, Cups or Northern
Europe, Swords are Asian (less Indian), and Pentacles are Europe.
Although I tend to think of Paris as a high Pentacle card. Most of this
is just my feeling, but I am finding that it makes more sense to
develop your own approach than follow rules blindly.

Aries
is ruled by Mars and both were important to Rome. Capricorn is
associated with the color black, it is considered a more serious sign.

• Like 1

Del it is indeed more sound to focus on regions you can do you analysis based upon regions and let the individuals overlay the racial component.

Anika, I'm an Aries. I've bungee jumped, and sky dived, I'm a decent skier was a D1 Gymnast.  I've climbed mount Fuji and have ridden my bike from NYC to Philly several times -- for fun.  I'll go anywhere on planet Earth, and would go to the moon if someone would send me....  Adventurous, pioneering, courageous, daredevil and foolhardy; check, check, check, check  and check --- Humm I'm an astrological white man!!!

I wonder if Pioneer is Capricorn?

Del I think it would be a potentially interesting study.

Cynique, "YOLO" (which I had to look up) is my middle name.  The only problem is that I'm note sure that one only lives once ;)

Anika, the wife is a Libra.  So while she may not join me on a future excursion to the moon, she understands completely.

Thanks for replaying. I am currently reading Tetrabiblios by Prolemy. He says that certain countries are ruled by certain signs and planets. Initially I was going to say no. However I think it is more likely that regions fall under astrological influences. Black folks like bass, White folks like treble a la Dave Chapelle. Could be an interesting project but I wouldn't undertake it, because if it's successful it could be seen as racist. It just seems like a thankless task. Although every couple of years I work on some project along the same lines.

I think it would be more successful if you dud it using numerology. I probably could do it unscientifically with a small sample

My guess would be that more expressive people/races would have names first or last ending in vowels.

I do not consider myself an expert, I am a practitioner.

Oh shhhnap!!

Watch out Delano......

I agree that some ethnicities are more expressive than others and I do believe Black people tend to favor bass in their music but Troy, may have a problem with you "stereotyping" entire groups of people unless you've met every single one of them personally.....lol.