Black Publishing What Were the Most Significant Events?

Troy

I'm creating a "Black" publishing timeline covering significant events in black publishing over the last 20 years.

What events, milestones or accomplishments do you think are important? They do not have to be actions taken by Black people. They could just be events that have impacted Black folks.

Thanks,

Troy

1. the advent of the self-publishing boom.
2. the emergence of the street lit popularity
3. the rise of the e-book venue.

The impact of all of this has changed the state of the black publishing community. It has become profit driven and the only hope seems to lie in the possibility that the cream will eventually rise to the top, and that this will be appreciated by the book buying public.But it is still a big publisher's market, not an independent writer's one. IMO.

Thanks for offering a few.Cynique. I agree all of these are important. I need to associate a date with each one. Was there a definitive moment for each?

Maybe for;

1. the advent of the self-publishing boon (I'll find out the launch date of Iuniverse or whoever was 1st in this space)

2. the emergence of the street lit popularity (I'll use the publication of Terri Woods 1st novel to signify the ushering in of Street Lit)

3. the rise of the e-book venue (I could use the date of the Kindle's Launch.

.Thanks!

My general overview on the book side of things

1992 - Terry McMillian's novel Waiting to Exhale takes off nationally and kicks off the "chick-lit" boom in Black publishing

1993-1999 -  Chick Lit, also known as "sista girl" novels, spawns renowned authors such as Eric Jerome Dickey, Omar Tyree, Mary B Morrison, Bebe Moore Campbell, and Mary Monroe as they put a stamp on contemporary Black fiction writing with their work

1999 - Sister Souljah's The Coldest Winter Ever shifts the attention away from Chick-Lit to the resurrection of Street Lit that was irrelevant for the past 30 years

1999 - The successful release of The Coldest Winter Ever is followed by Teri Woods' True to the Game which launches the birth of Black independently owned publishing houses

While Sister Souljah is the revolution, Teri Woods is the evolution

1999-2003 - The Golden Age of Urban Fiction/Street Lit where authors such as Teri Woods, Vicky Stringer, Shannon Holmes, K'wan, Al-Saadiq Banks, and Carl Weber spearheaded a movement that would turn out lucrative

2003-present – Urban Fiction saturates the Black publishing industry and sparks an ongoing debate about whether the genre is helping or hurting the legacy of Black literature

• Like 1

If you're going to take note  of Sistah Souljah, you might also want to pay homage to  Toni Morrison's  winning a Pulitzer prize for literature in the 90s, a milestone achievement for a brilliant black author.

Also the introduction of Oprah's book  is noteworthy by virtue of the fact that she was a black woman who exerted her power and wielded a great impact on the publishing industry, as white authors curried her favor.    Her reluctance to use her influence to further the careers of black authors also had an effect, albeit a negative one..

• Like 1

Jeeze watta crybaby! Actually, I wasn't  talking to you, specifically, NahSun.    Troy was who I had in mind since he was who asked for suggestions. Why would you consider my comments to him a critique of your timeline???  Even more astounding is that you'd admit that there was something about a famous black author that you didn't know.    

@ Cynique

I see you're becoming senile

You specifically used Sister Souljah's name in your post...the name that I used...NOT Troy

Otherwise, you would've said Teri Woods if your response was directed to Troy

I already said I didn't know much about the book industry prior to the 90s in a thread last year...especially "industry talk"...I study movements, not accolaids and awards

Try again

I did not address you by name, Nah-whoever. As I said, I used the universal "you".  If you, specifically,  will notice, Troy "liked" the post containing your time line, and since this implied that he was open to focusing on influential women, I suggested that Toni Morrison and Oprah also be included. 

But you are so self-absorbed and thin-skinned that it doesn't take much to set you off and send you into your routine of specious arguments in defense of your imagined infalliblity.

Now you can take or leave this clarification. I really don't care because I don't owe you an explanation and arguing with you is a waste of time. Just go on back to your pouting, and give us grown-ups a rest. 

Incidentally, the word is spelled "accolades",  and anybody who is not aware that the well-deserved awards Ms. Morrison received were the culmination of a black literary "movement" originated  to gain this recognition, needs to stop talking about what he does and does not "study", and go sit his pedantic ass down. 

And this means YOU.