Read to learn why information is harder to find online

Visit this site to learn how Google make it very difficult to find information online: http://dontbubble.us/

I started noticing this years ago and was very frustrated because it seemed like no one else was getting it.  Just visit the website site.  The information is related very simply.  

The also explains why the internet has the effect of feeling like one big echo chamber.  Facebook does the same thing.  Discovering alternative view points of views or perspectives is very difficult.  Which make learning difficult.

If everyone agrees with you all the time and no one challenges you ideas you'll never learn... 

google-search-result-pages.png

Great information.  

While this phenomenon is harder to spot in a Google search, it is plain as bright sunshine on YouTube (owned by Google)
videos.

Test it out like this.

(1) Perform a Google search of, for instance, music videos of your favorite artist. For example, “video Hank Crawford greatest alto sax player ever.”  

(2) Select a YouTube video from the search results.

(3) Now perhaps play a couple of videos.  Notice the lineup of recommended videos in the sidebar on left side of your screen.

(4) Next: Leave YouTube.  Return to Google search. 

(5) Search a completely different matter, say, videos on instructions for a computer program.  

(6) Select a YouTube video from the search results. 

(7) Look at the sidebar on the left side of the  page. You will see videos from the search of your favorite artist mixed in as recommendations with videos from the computer instructions search.

So, yes, that degree of tracking by Google.  Every move you make, they're watching you.

To get better results find a search engine or database that is specific to your subject matter.  Or just ditch Google.

Here are some ideas.

http://www.businessinsider.com/alternative-search-engines-2011-3?op=1

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/05/private-the-search-engines-that-make-money-by-not-tracking-users/

They also play "word association" games on many of these search engines so that when you try to do research on a particular subject and enter the words and terms.....their historical meanings are clouded and pushed back for more contemporary and often silly definitions.

For example, you want to do research on the history of Blacks in Ireland and enter "Black Irish"....you get a whole lot of references to beer and ale and have to go 4 or 5 pages deep to find what you're looking for.

If you pay the providers enough, they fix it so that your name and product comes up ahead of anything else when you search.

Need2ritefaster if it seems harder with a Google search then just notice the ads they serve even on this site.  If I go to a website and make a transaction like renewing my Ancestry.com fee.  I get Ancestry ads for the next day or two.  I guess their logic is limited in that if they never I already made my transaction or was otherwise done with Ancestry they would also know seeing the additional ads does not benefit Ancestry and results in lower click through rates. 

Pioneer I wrote an article related to this a year or to ago:  Basically if you searched on a Black authors you would get sites related to their work as a writer (including a few Black independent sites), today if the author has any drama associated with them -- you will get the nonsense before anything else.  This is not based upon my browsing history because I try to stir slear fo those sites and am usually research an author.  Here is a article I wrote about searching for Terry McMillan: http://aalbc.com/blog/index.php/2011/08/08/google-worsens-web-experience-by-retuning-poor-search-results/