Go On Girl! Book Club Announces 2012 Award Winning Authors

209.gif

Go On Girl! Book Club Announces 2012 Award Winners

New York, NY - March 6, 2013 - During this Women's History Month,
Go On Girl! Book Club, one of the largest national reading organizations in the U.S. dedicated to supporting the work of authors of the African Diaspora, is proud to announce that authors Marlon James and Karen Simpson have been voted by the membership to receive top honors at their 21st Annual Author Awards dinner on Saturday, June 1st, 5pm-8pm at the Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel in New Jersey.

Marlon James was named 2012 Author of the Year for his gripping novel, The Book of Night Women.  Karen Simpson was named 2012 New Author of the Year for her powerful story, Act of Grace.  

Upon learning of his win, Mr. James commented, "I am so excited to be Go On Girl! Book Club's 2012 Author of the Year!  Sometimes we writers, holed up in whichever bunker we write out of, forget about the community of readers.  A writer can do so many things with a book but he cannot make a page, or a scene or even a character for that matter come alive.  That job is the readers' and I'm just blown away that I am being awarded by a community of readers, so committed to making books and literature come alive."

Ms. Simpson also expressed her thanks, "When I first started my writing career some ten years ago, I would go to the Go On Girl! Book Club website and dream that someday my novel would be one of those selected.  I never thought it would happen.  I am both humbled and grateful for this honor.  It means so much for my work to be recognized by your readers.  Thank you so much."

The awards dinner will also honor our 2012 Life Achievement honoree and the GOG Unpublished Writer and Scholarship winners.  The dinner will be followed by an author meet & greet featuring our winners and several guest authors and an after-party.  Books will be available for purchase at the event by MahoganyBooks (www.mahoganybooks.com).

Tickets to Go On Girl! Book Club's 21st Annual Author Awards dinner are $65 and can be purchased until May 1st at www.GoOnGirl.org/events.

The awards dinner is the highlight of a weekend of activities for GOG members and guests themed "Reading in Jersey From Exit to Exit".  The festivities begin on Friday, May 31st and end on Sunday, June 2nd with Go On Girl! Book Club's Eboni Gray Phenomenal Woman Awards Breakfast, which honors members of the organization and culminates in a special prayer circle.

For more information about Go On Girl! Book Club and the 21st Annual Author Awards event visit www.GoOnGirl.org.  To inquire about sponsorship, purchasing a dinner table, or advertising opportunities, contact Tracey Y. Smith at (646) 489-6873 or tsmithwd@aol.com.