Amazon Now Owns, Goodreads, AbeBooks, Shelfari, Audible...

...Bookworm.com, a piece of Librarything, and God knows what else

I guess when books are sold by only one big website people will finally wake up and do something.

Of course Black folks will not start complaining until books with Black folks in them are completely invisible.

Maybe Amazon can break off a few bucks and buy AALBC.com.  Ah, nevermind they are in business to make money ;)

The WSJ reports Amazon recently paid ~$150MM for Goodreads.  Amazon is really smart. I guess they will either buy or put Barnesandnoble.com out of their misery (business) pretty soon.

And that is just the book world

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not surprised one bit

Everything nowadays are getting bought out or consolidated

There are only 3 major recording companies, 2 radio stations, 1 major internet radio station, and 6 Hollywood studios

The only thing people can do is adapt and support the "little people," but even that's a stretch because we live in a society where you're not seen as a success unless you're signed with a major

Welcome to the New World Order, baby

The revolution, in conventional terms, will not come from the people who live in the US Nah'Sun for the reasons you mentioned. 

People lament Amazons "control" over publishging, but they will not stop patronizing them.  People will bitch and moan about how Amazon is contributing to the demise of local indepedent book sellers, but they will not suport those book sellers with their money perfering to go to Amazon. 

People only support what is in their own, short term, financial interest. Today there are about 100 Black owned independent bookstores in the US and many of these are struggling.

I could go on all day with examples. 

As you implied we have less choice today than we did 10 years ago.  New York City with perhaps the nation's largest Black population, has one radio station with a "Black format" and it is terrible.  Steve Harvey in the AM the same stuff I can listen to in Houston TX or Raliegh NC and the same 20 songs all day, every day.  The best local talk program "Open Line" just recently had it's time slot moved to some ungoldy hour and had it's time cut from 2 hours to 1. 

There could be an "economic revolution" where people vote with their wallets, but things will need to get much worse before even that happens.  But by then folks might be primed for an conventional revolution. 

I'm sure this why right wingers are fighting to keep their guns... and why our corporate run government is invading our privacy online, putting cameras everywhere and exploiting tracking devices in our phones.

The New World Order indeed!

@ Troy

You pretty much took the words from my fingers

People lament Amazons "control" over publishging, but they will not stop
patronizing them.  People will bitch and moan about how Amazon is
contributing to the demise of local indepedent book sellers, but they
will not suport those book sellers with their money perfering to go to
Amazon.

^^^^^^^

Amen to this part also

As you implied we have less choice today than we did 10 years ago.  New
York City with perhaps the nation's largest Black population, has one
radio station with a "Black format" and it is terrible.

Check out the video below that talks about how the demise of Black radio in NYC

Very interesting