Louis Farrkhan Wants to Rebuild Detroit

This is picking up on a

Farrakhan will speak before the Detroit City Council, to members of the clergy and to residents of the city.  Acknowledging the Detroit's rich legacy, Minister Farrakahn opined about the city's present condition, saying "Detroit is where the Nation of Islam started.  Detroit is almost considered now, a dead city.  So we'll come back to Detroit where we began and loook at the condition of Detroit, pool our resources and try to buy properties in Detroit and start rebuilding one of the greatest cities in America where we're concerned."  From the Michigan Chronicle.

Are the Nation of Islam's goals consistent with yours?  What do you think a city run by NOI would look like? 

Are the Nation of Islam's goals consistent with yours? What do you think a city run by NOI would look like?

Not sure about the Nation of Islam "running the city" but I do think they could actually have an important role to play in the city's rebirth by giving Black people an example of what can be done when we follow a strict moral code and unite under singular leadership.

Let me just make it clear that I don't see White people as a race of devils, nor do I see Jews as the root of all the world's evils....lol.

But I have to be real, the Nation of Islam has worked wonders in reforming Black people in a way that no other national organization has.  They were able to clean up some local housing projects when even the police couldn't (or wouldn't) do it themselves.  Farrakhan is no doubt a charismatic and influencial Black leader who has the power to mobilize and motivate Black people into being more productive.

But more to your question................

I actually got a chance to go to the grand speech he made at the Fellowship Chapel on Friday.

I didn't hear an actual blue print about how he'd like to go about rebuilding an entire city so it's hard to figure out if his vision lines up with mine.

He talked more about Black people pooling thier money together to buy up vacant property and abandoned buildings.

My organization isn't focused on patching up a 300 year old city.

We're more about deconstructing and clearing out most city's old infrastructure and building a brand new densely populated mega-city from the ground up.  

We envision a city where the average residential neighborhood would be more densely populated than mid-town Manhattan!

But built with an infrastructure that could comfortably hold such a population.

So our plans involve more than just buying old property and refurbishing it or cleaning up old city parks, but an actual massive urban planning project on a scale greater than the New Deal initiated by Roosevelt.

Ofcourse this will take DECADES and probably CENTURIES to complete but it must be initiated.

What I really like about the Nation of Islam is how much they emphasis the importance of MORALITY and how your righteousness and connection with God will give you the power to be successful.

The biggest problem AfroAmericans face around the nation isn't political, economic, or even social...it's MORAL.

Too many young people are steeped in an immoral lifestyle to the point that they're not only losing much of the wealth their parents worked hard for and left them.....but they're even losing many of the CIVIL RIGHTS thier grandparents fought and died for.

I just wanna know if I'll be able to buy bacon in the supermarket and if I'll have to drive to Windsor Canada for alcohol, gambling and prostitution?

Seriously, I agree with the vacuous moral attitudes in segments of the Black community and in the American culture.  But I'm not sure I want to exchange my freedom for what could ultimately become some form of Sharia law.

The stripper reality show would never fly if the Nation of Islam had anything to do with it -- and I agree.

But where do you draw the line? 

-------------------

I'm not sure a densely populated area, is a good idea.  When people are cooped up like that they start behaving badly.

Lol......
Ok I hear what you're saying.

Personally, I don't support theocracies (unless established by God Himself) because moral codes are as numerous and varied as the men who wish to impose them on others.
Although I'm not a Christian, I have devout Christians in my group as well as people who believe in no religion (but still believe in God). If there are atheists, they haven't "come out" yet....lol.
People's views have to be respected.

Like other organizations in Detroit I believe the NOI could play a role (a prominent one at that) but they wouldn't RUN the city like the local temple down the street with brothers in bow-ties on every corner slapping 40 oz bottles out of people's hands and making women pull their tops up and skirts down....lol.

From what I undertand of their doctrine, the NOI is against pork, alcohol, drugs, prostitution, and many other vices they feel ruins the Black community.
While I'm against many of those things also.......

** I actually support the legalization/regulation of prostitution and the legalization of drugs in their HERBAL form

...... I don't believe it's the government's job to BAN them.

As long as it's not hurting anyone else except those who made the choice to engage in them, I believe they should have the freedom to do so.

However I do believe that a society should all be "on the same page" and in agreement when it comes to certain behaviors.
For example, we should all be against murder, rape, theft, child molestation, ect......

If the Black community could unite on THOSE moral issues and then fight to enforce them in the community putting other petty religious differences to the side, I thing well over 90% of our problems would be solved within 6 months.

As are as densely populated communities goes.............

I'm not SURE it's a good idea either.
But the more populated this Earth gets (especially the Americas) it seems to me that we'd need to build a new infrastructure capable of comfortably holding it.

Too many people living together often brings out coldness and callousness, but it also brings out a more "hustling" spirit that brings out people's natural talents in an effort to be seen and make a way for themselves.

I don't see Africans or Caribbean Black folk having the same problems. I think the big difference is those folks have a a culture and a homeland. I think the NOI gives a cultural identity and they through in a language.

I do know what it means foe them to run the city. Actually it is meaningless. If they are talking economics that is not political although increasingly it is. Politicians of various religious backgrounds have run the city sven the country without this being a problem. Although you could make the argument that this broke down under George the II. I see that more as a lobby issue. I think the leadership of the NOI is very savvy. I would say give them a chance. I think in a way their program is a similar to Socrates Academy.

Del

You made a very good point..........

Africans and Caribbeans don't seem to have the same problems as AfroAmericans.
They also have higher self esteem and a stronger culture and it's one of the reasons they are so much more successful than the average AfroAmerican.
I've been saying for quite some time now that Detroit needs to attract more Black people from Africa and the West Indies as seeing them will give a lot of our people in the ghettos

When I go to New York and Atlanta I see thousands of Blacks from all over the world professionaly dressed and smiling with a totally different perspective of life. It seems that AfroAmerican children see this and this cosmopolitan view of Blackness "rubs off" on them and they adopt a more well rounded view of life than Black children in other parts of the nation.
Most Black people in the South, Midwest, and West Coasts know little to nothing about Salsa and Merigue and if they saw Black men speaking Spanish to eachother they'd think they were playing a joke......this is how limited the world view of so many of our people are outside of the Eastern Seaboard.

Also it seems that Black people from Africa and the West Indies aren't as "color struck" as AfroAmericans who's ancestors hail from the South.
They don't see being very dark with very kinky hair and broad nosed and big lipped as a "curse" that dooms them to failure like so many AfroAmericans.

Usually when I see a very very dark skinned Black man or woman who is professionaly dressed, smiling, with a beautiful attitude.....before they even open their mouth I know they're from an African or West Indian country, occasionaly they're from Europe.
Because if they were raised in America looking like that often times they'd be on drugs, behind bars, or in some menial occupation just getting by in life not thinking they "belonged" with others who are more successful.
Most Africans and West Indians I know don't have this attitude.
They believe education and hard work will get them anywhere they want to go in America.
We need that type of attitude in the Black community.

You disputed my saying that the legacy of slavery was at the core of current problems in the African American community, Pioneer.

There's always a dark side to the bright images and it's my job to focus on this. :rolleyes:

Funny how when  I think of West Indians, shiftlless, pot-smokin Rasta-types come to mind.  When I think of Africans, it's about Nigerians trying to recruit "mules" to transport heroin out of the country.  Back in the day, $25,000 was the going rate offered by these slippery crooks to any young woman with a baby who, under the guise of going to visit her soldier husband in Germany, would secretly transport drugs in her child's diaper. ( A stiff jail sentence awaited anyone who got caught.)

Forget Black Muslims.  They are grim, rigid, self-rightous, male chauvinistic bores.  Farrakhan lives likes a king whose only function is to periodically appear on a dais and  deliver 8-hour rants  Yes, they have parlayed their strict disciplined way of life into a degree of success, but do they ever have any fun?  The Fruit of Islam are an over-rated  bunch of sour grapes.  Yawnnnnn. 

My work here is done.  :P

Delano

Thanks Pioneer - I saw the reverse situation in Boston at Uni. The non US blacks didn't associate with the Blacks from Boston, but they would talk to me.

When I was living on the West Coast in a small town with few Black people I had a girlfriend from Brazil who was going to college out there who always loved to insist that she was a BLACK woman.

Not a Brazilian or Latina.....but a BLACK woman.

When she left and decided to go to Boston to further her career...lol...I have to laugh just thinking about it....she'd call me up asking me what was wrong with these "Blacks", lol.

She kept talking about how the children acted and how red the people's eyes were and how she believed something is being put in the water or food to run some of the Black people there crazy....LOL.

I believe some of the cultural differences between many Black Americans and Black people from other parts of the world is what the Catholics call "irreconcilable".

Many Black Africans and Blacks from Latin America think AfroAmericans are just plain stupid and crazy and want nothing to do with our people.....period.

Sometimes I encounter a reserved or shy attitude when I first meet foreign Black people but after I drop some knowledge on them their hearts melt as they realize they're dealing with an international brutha.

Cynique

You disputed my saying that the legacy of slavery was at the core of current problems in the African American community, Pioneer.

Correct.

I didn't dispute that the legacy of slavery didn't pose SOME problems in the Black community, ofcourse it does.

But it's not the core of them.

Funny how when I think of West Indians, shiftlless, pot-smokin Rasta-types come to mind. When I think of Africans, it's about Nigerians trying to recruit "mules" to transport heroin out of the country. Back in the day, $25,000 was the going rate offered by these slippery crooks to any young woman with a baby who, under the guise of going to visit her soldier husband in Germany, would secretly transport drugs in her child's diaper. ( A stiff jail sentence awaited anyone who got caught.)

You have criminals in every nationality.

I'm talking about the basic standard behavior and ethics of the Africans and West Indians that I've encountered in the United States.

I can't speak from anyone else's perspective, just my own.

And most of the Carribean and African Black people I know and have met tended to be well educated and good workers.

In Europe the story is slighly different because many West Indian youth seem to like imitating the glamorized gangster image of AfroAmericans portrayed in much of the music and movies.

They do it as some sort of identity.

Forget Black Muslims. They are grim, rigid, self-rightous, male chauvinistic bores. Farrakhan lives likes a king whose only function is to periodically appear on a dais and deliver 8-hour rants Yes, they have parlayed their strict disciplined way of life into a degree of success, but do they ever have any fun? The Fruit of Islam are an over-rated bunch of sour grapes. Yawnnnnn.

Some methods are tried and true regardless of how old they are.

Establishing strong morals and promoting a well structured family works and brings success to any community willing to practice these habits regardless of their race or religion.

Cynique you are too much :D

Pioneer, it has been my experience that darker skinned American Brothers have it rougher (maybe the sisters too) -- someone should really study this.

I have many anecedotes; here is one I was thing about the other day.  We I was a kid they used to track students in classes based upon ability.  The unruly kids were place in a class, in the basement away from the general population.  They were not given very difficult work in fact I doubt the guy, whose job it was to monitor these incorrigibles, was even a teacher.

But all of the boys in the class were dark skinned -- all of them.   I believe most ended up in jail... sad.

Troy

A brutha from England who was of West Indian descent brought 2 things to my attention years ago that I really hadn't noticed.....

1. The vast majority of the AfroAmerican inmates in prisons were dark skinned and "Congoid" featured (broad nose, big lips, kinky hair).

2. The vast majority of the displaced residents from the flood down in New Orleans were dark skinned and he believed this was one of the reasons the media kept calling them "refugees" and comparing them to Haitians.

I guess being neither very dark nor very light......I hadn't paid it much attention either way until he pointed it out to me.

Believe it or not, the situation is even worse for Latinos.
Dark skinned Latinos often have a very hard time in their community because they don't see themselves on television much.

Del sure Westley fits the mold (completion) of a convict...  I met him once and he was actually a very handsome smooth, and gracious Brother -- he was locked up soon after.

Pioneer it would be interesting to see if there is anything to these observations.  But no one cares enough, or would be willing enough to risk political incorrectness, to collect the "brown bag test" data of our prison population.

In popular music however there has been a transition away from the light skinned, slim, straight haired Brother (think El DeBarge) to the darker skinned, more rugged, Brothers (think Rick Ross). 

This transition was in parallel with a change in the music from ladies men singing love songs to rough necks bragging about banging ho's... 

We don't seemed to have advanced much beyond the old criteria from way back in the day that advised: "if you white, you all right; if you yellow, you mellow; if you brown, you stick around; and - if you black, you stay back." Colorism just never seems to disappear.  I've often wondered if it's because color is associated with certain elements and entities in nature. And the sun that is the center of our world, has set a gold standard... Is anybody from any culture with honey colored skin  ever rejected solely because of their complexion??   

There was a reversal of fortune among black heart throbs when Biggie usurped Al DeBarge.  But currently, guys like Chris Brown, Drake, Maxwell, and John Legend have re-emerged and the spectrum of black male entertainers now runs the gamut in the color spectrum.

Thuggery trumps complexion where the dark skinned thug (ala 50 cent), is more appealing (sells more units) than the smooth (softer) ladies men like a Maxwell.  Of course people Chris Brown is more appealing than an Maxwell as long as he maintains his street cred by slapping Rhianna every now and then. 

Of course we can find exceptions to every rule, but I'm not sure thing are as diverse as they appear.

Have you noticed that almost every single basketball player is riddled with tattoos.  I remember when Tattoos were worn almost exclusively by gang members and convicts now everyone in their attempt to mimic the style gets a tattoo.  This is no different than the sagging pants young men wear (which basketball players now mimic with the saggy/baggy shorts).

But I digress...

Our weak culture is our problem.  Detroit was destroyed by greedy and short sighted corporations. 

My problem with artists like Prince and El Debarge back in the 80s how light they were or how straight their hair was....it was their feminine  ways.

Their "prissyness".

Morris Day and The Time   ((shakes head))

And a lot of women seemed to go crazy over it.

Even today in much of the R&B music you don't find a lot of masculinity.

Whether you're talking about Usher, Justin Timberlake, or Chris Brown......where is the BASS in the voice?

You don't hear grown ass men singing -- you hear petpetual adolescents going through puberty.

Now back in the day you'd hear GROWN MEN singing like Barry White, the Temptations, and Teddy Pendergrass.

Even KC Hailey of Jodeci.....that was my favorite group.

He had that strong masculine voice that would move you.

As far as that tatooes and braids.................

The gangsta rap out of the West Coast had heavy influence on a lot of impressionable Black kids being criminal and thuggish but it really didn't take off until Tupac came out promoting the "thug life".

Most young men regardless of race or culture want to be known as tough and strong and often tend to engage in violence, this is natural.

Wealthy racists saw this....along with the War on Drugs....as an opportunity to wage a war on the Black and poor and lock as many of them up as they could by influencing them to live a life of crime knowing it would lead them to death or imprisonment.

The charisma of Tupac and the hypnotic beat of rap music were just tools used to carry out this agenda.

Tupac was a gifted genius and no one can take that from him, but the fact is he influenced a generation of young men to sport tattoos and bald heads in wife-beater t-shirts and proudly call themselves "thugs"....which actually led a lot of them to their doom.

I knew Black kids who grew up in decent middleclass homes who CHOSE to be "thuggish" and live a street life because of the influence of rap music.

Many of them lost the houses and money their parents left for them because of stupid choices influenced by the music they were listening to.

Pioneer - Miles Davis said something interesting about Prince. He said Prince guy away with sexism and misogyny in his musical, because he sounded girlish. Whereas you couldn't sing about the same things with bass in your voice.

Lets look ar it the other eat around. Do we currently have light skin Thug rappers, and di we have dark skin crooners.

I kind if stopped listening to music do I wouldn't know.

I think you will gave a hard time marketing intelligence ae a desired quality. Unless you can tie it into wealth: millionaire computer nerds.

I don't know about you but I haven't seen that many time models that value solely intelligence. You may have intelligence and some other quality, or cunning/street wise.

Puleeze, Pioneer. Prince frequently sang in a high falsetto voice, but his speaking voice is quite low.  Not that a low voice proves anything about masculinity. Prince was a notorious womanizer. So was El DeBarge, having once been accused of rape.   

The high falsetto voice is adopted by many black male singers, especially the lead men in the quartets like the Temptations. Can you say Eddie Kendricks!  Marvin Gaye also had a high voice .   These type of singers were secure enough in their manhood to sing in the tenor range and are not caught up in myths.

Your thinking that pretty boy entertainers were prissy is tinged with jealousy. Women found them "fione" and irresistible and - manly.  These brothas didn't care if other men were less than impressed.  They were too busy bedding groupies.

Tattoos, smattoos! I have 2 tattoos on my right wrist.  I know a lot of ordinary people who get a little inked up.  I get a kick out of the reactions I constantly get from straight-laced folks from all walks of life who can't imagine that a nonconformist would use her skin as a canvass.  For me it is also a rose-entwined tombstone, bidding my husband and grandson to rest in peace. 

I'm not defending rap lyrics  but, as usual, Pioneer, you generalize.  There are a lot of young people who are able to separate music  from reality and don't think of rap as anything more than a facet of their hip hop culture.

Pioneer perhaps this is why I don't listen to new music I'm tried of listening to little boys signing.  Of course I come across exception every now and again Gregory Porter a brother I discovered last year is one.

It is not just the Black community effected everyone is -- image a world in which a Justin Beiber is a super star.  I listened to him sign when he was the musical host on Saturday Night Live I was astonished at the lack of skill and talent he displayed.

Cynique, the tattoos I'm talking about are quite different than the two that you described on your wrist.  I'm talking about folks who cover their entire arms, chest and neck with them.  This seems to be the norm among athletes and rappers.  I remember when Dennis Rodman was considered controversial, today even that freak Birdman does not bat an eye. 

Of course people are free to do what they want to do but when young boys in the general population mimic the behavior of these athletes and entertainers, as they invariably, do they hurt their work prospects in ways they don't seem to understand.

To be clear there are certainly people interested in seeing the Black community destroyed.  I guess today these individuals would be quite pleased with the progress. 

That said I don't think the great majority of white American's are fairing much better.   Has anyone looked at the impact of the Sequester on the average white family?  We already know they were the ones most frequently foreclosed on during the ongoing housing crisis. 

Black folks, like the majority of American, are at the mercy of plutocracy.  They destroyed Detroit.  Farrakhan can't fix Detroit unless his can fully enforce his authority which he can not.

Sign? Sing? I am assuming you are talking about Bieber's vocalizing and not his communicating with deaf people.  ;)

Nobody but teen-aged girls take Justin seriously.  Everybody else knows he's a flash in the pan that will soon go the way of all young pop idols.  Or, - he might surprise his detractors by maturing into a legitimate performer ala Justin Timberlake.  Show Biz is unpredictable.

Bottom line, is that when it comes to music, one person's like is another one's dislike and altho different performers appeal to different audiences,  the cream rises to the top.  Which is to say that good music is good music no matter what its genre.  I'm not a fan of Country music, but having been introduced to some of it  via the tv music competition show, "The Voice", I have come to appreciate it a little more.   I even like certain songs of the bubble gum genre by such pop princesses as  Katy Perry, Carly Rae Jepsen,  Pink and even, forgive me lord, - Taylor Swift, all of whom I 've heard singing their hits on various music award shows.  I remain intrigued with rapper Lil Wayne,  and R&B and Jazz and classical music have always been on my play list. But my preference are the ballads of the  "American Song Book".  That's because this is the music that enveloped me during the prime of my life.

IMO,  we should not restrict our selves but should mine for the gold to be found in the vast field of music, - the universal language  Music is such a gift to our ears and emotions that we should be ever recepetive to what can spontaneously strikes a note in us.

Cynique

Puleeze, Pioneer.

For someone who always wants to pleeze Pioneer.....you're awfully argumentative, lol.

Prince was a notorious womanizer. So was El DeBarge, having once been accused of rape.
The high falsetto voice is adopted by many black male singers, especially the lead men in the quartets like the Temptations. Can you say Eddie Kendricks! Marvin Gaye also had a high voice . These type of singers were secure enough in their manhood to sing in the tenor range and are not caught up in myths.

But my problem with Prince goes beyond his vocal range.
It's his whole sissified persona.

THIS.......

PrincebyRichardAvedon1983.jpg

....is no myth.
That's real.

Word is bond, no straight male over 11 years of age would walk into a public bathroom if he saw a man with THAT look in his eye walk in first!

Del

Pioneer - Miles Davis said something interesting about Prince. He said Prince guy away with sexism and misogyny in his musical, because he sounded girlish. Whereas you couldn't sing about the same things with bass in your voice.

I believe there is much truth to this.

I've noticed for years that women will allow flamboyantly gay men friends say and do thing to them that they would never allow thier straight male friends do.

Like play with thier butt and call them "bitch" on the regular or talk about smacking them.

One told me that her and her gay friend used to take a shower together after work outs!

Troy

To be clear there are certainly people interested in seeing the Black community destroyed. I guess today these individuals would be quite pleased with the progress.

That said I don't think the great majority of white American's are fairing much better. Has anyone looked at the impact of the Sequester on the average white family? We already know they were the ones most frequently foreclosed on during the ongoing housing crisis.

Never underestimate the power of hate.

Michigan used to be the home of the Reagan Democrats.

Who were they?

Working Class White men who had good paying factory jobs with benefits thanx to the Democrats and Unions.

But the only problem was.....Black men had these things too.

They hated so much that the largest cities were being ran by Black people and that Black men were able to get good jobs and work and live right along side them that when Ronald Reagan came through promising to undue liberalism and bust up the unions.....they got on board and not only voted against thier own party but they actually voted against their OWN INTERESTS!

It was working class White male Democrats who helped elect Ronald Reagan, and when he got in office he was true to his word.

He busted up the Unions, sent the factor jobs overseas, dismantled many liberal programs that helped many of those who voted for him.

And now some of those same Whites and their children who WERE middle/working class and living in fine brick homes in the city are now broke as hell living in TRAILER PARKS out in the woods and when they aren't ducking and dodging tornadoes they're listening to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity as they blame all thier problems on those Liberals in Washington and those "niggers in Detroit".

Although this certainly isn't the case for most White people.........

No matter how negatively it impacts them, there will always be some Whites willing to let everything collapse before they tolerate Black success.

Cynique

Prince had a large following of straight male fans. They didn't have a problem with his unique persona. He was - PRINCE! One of a kind. Just like Michael Jackson.

Some "fans" wouldn't have a problem if their favorite celebrity ate there own defecation and drink their own urination.
That's why they're called FANS.....which is short for FANATIC

I don't let what others accept or condemn cloud my judgement.

I have a few male friends who loves Prince and play him everyday.
I listen to him myself on occasion, "When Does Cry" is one of my favorite songs.

I didn't say he wasn't a talented artist who produced outstanding music.
My problem with Prince isn't his artistic ability, it's his freakish behavior and how he helped to mainstream it.

Remember his first interview during a performance on Soul Train when Don Cornelius was interviewing him and he kept flipping his hair like a woman with that same "come and get it" look  in his eyes.

And the video of him dancing around in a g-string and trench coat.

This is freakish behavior that leads to confusion in the minds of vulnerable youth.

If Prince didn't influence you into emulating his demeanor, why do you think he did this to other straight people. Pioneer?  How Prince dressed and comported himself never caught on in the mainstream world. Prince's androgeny was a gimmick; a tease for his large gay following.  I recently saw a abbreviated rolling Stones Concert on TV, and I was amused at the similar stage presence of Mick Jaegger and Prince.  They are both mischievious strutting cocks who troll the stage and play to the audience.   

Back in the 80s heyday, with the advent of MTV and music videos, all the entertainers created caricatures of themsleves.Madonna, Tina Turner, Michael Jackson, just to name a few.  Prince is a product of his times.  Much to his credit, his career proved to have longevity.     

Cynique

If Prince didn't influence you into emulating his demeanor, why do you think he did this to other straight people. Pioneer?

For the same reasons I don't smoke crack and haven't been to prison but many Black people have.
Because people have different weaknesses and breaking points both physically and psychologically.

Entertainment is a major part of social engineering.

But I'll tell you something you'd probably consider strange and contradictory..........

I predict a time will come very soon when STRAIGHT MEN will be wearing make-up and getting their nails (fingers and toes) "done" and painted similar to women today.
And although I have no plans for doing so myself, I wouldn't oppose it.

I think Western civilization has been far too culturally restrictive and narrow minded for the vastly creative nature of most human beings.
In the distant past whether among Native Americans, Africans, or Hebrews....men used to wear make up, earrings, perfume, ect.....and this wasn't seen as any take-a-way from their masculinity.

I think the unnecessary restrictions and the image of "ruggedness" Western society has put on men has led to various pathologies and perversions that we see today.

Comparing guys not succumbing to drugs and crime, to guys not wearing eyeliner and frilly clothes and long curly hair is like comparing apples to oranges.The fact of the matter is, that dudes didn't emulate Prince's persona because they were simply straight,  not especially strong. 

Peer pressure and fads originate within groups and are not a form of social engineering.

Men already use cosmetic products and cologne, and wear earrings and black nail polish and get manicures and pedicures.  They also have their eyebrows trimmed and body hair removed. 

Yes, I am surprised that anybody as homophobic as you would not have a problem with men abandoning their macho facades.