Erykah Badu's "Window Seat" - A publicity stunt or what?

During an interview with Wanda Sykes, Erykah said she does not make money through the sales of her CD. She also said budgets are smaller as well. I have to assume this is part of the reason to create such a video. On basis of grabbing attention I doubt she could have done anything which would have been more successful.

The "bootyfull" Badu certainly got my attention. The controversy surrounding this video is furthure evidence that there is no such thing as "bad" publicity.

Erykah Badu - Window Seat Video

Wanda Sykes "Window Seat" Parody

However, I purchased the first New Amerykah CD, from a wall Wal-Mart in Western Mass, when it first came out. I figured I could enjoy it on my drive back to NYC. I love funk, the cover was reminiscent of Parliament/Funkadelic, and the earlier efforts I’ve heard from Eryah were not bad, so I brought the CD on that basis alone. I listened to the CD all the way through and I did not hear a single cut that I liked very much.

I won’t take that chance again. Given today’s access to information and opinion there is no reason to take that chance again with any other artist.

So while the video alerted me to Erykah’s latest release is there anyone out there who can let me know if New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh is any good?

51qkelyY75L.jpg

She totally did it for publicity.

Hate to say it but us "old heads" are not what's poppin in 2010, lol...meaning neo-soul singers like Erykah, Jill Scott, Ledesi,etc. are not going to sell squat, not even in ringtones because HOE SHIT is running rampant.

The Nicki Minajs, Lady Gagas and Rhiannas are now whats up. They prance around scantily clad in garter belts and stillettos and these folks go crazy over them, buying everything they make. It's no longer about talent, but how wild you dress and how much silicone you put in your asscheeks.

Geesh, I remember MY FATHER saying the exact same thing about "our" music (NWA, GUY, SILK) growing up, lol. That "yall dont know nothing about good music!" LOL.

BTW, Erykah's booty is REAL, lol!

Wow! I like the video and I do like Erykah's music but I'm not so sure about how this video was made. I have no problems with nudity or nice booties but I don't think this kind of thing was appropriate in an unrestricted public environment. And had any of you been there with your children, I'm sure they may be some levels of anxiety and consternation at her brazen stunt. As I said, I have no personal issues with nudity or the video but I don't think it was correct for an unsuspecting public audience.

Never cared much for Erykah's music. There's an ANNOYING a$s nasal tone to her voice I just can't get with. But to be a sista who got to be well into her 30's, Erykah's got a nice chuck of funk crawling up behind her. Make a brotha wanna rub on dat for good luck or something. ;)

Erykah's got a nice chuck of funk crawling up behind her. Make a brotha wanna rub on dat for good luck or something. ;)

I can't help thinking this was just the reaction Badu was gunning for: cheap publicity through titillation. Her high-minded explanation for why she did it is ridiculous: "John F. Kennedy was a revolutionary; he was not afraid to butt heads with America, and I was not afraid to show America my butt-naked truth." What "truth" did she communicate by parading naked? Her claim that showing her pixelation-obscured body to the world is the moral equivalent of the Civil Rights Act is stupid and offensive.

Selling a product with sex is hardly revolutionary. Female singers have been trading on their sexuality since the beginning of time. There's little difference between what Badu did and what Madonna and Britney did when they French-kissed on TV in their underwear. Consider the similarity to Kola's publicity grubbing: 1) get naked in public (check), 2) appropriate the image of a famous person with whom you have no connection (check), 3) claim 1 & 2 constitute "art" and "truth" (check).

Calling Kennedy a "revolutionary" is a stretch, too. Yes, he butted heads with the most reactionary white Southern racists, but he was hardly out in front of popular opinion on civil rights. When it came to actual revolutionary politics in Asia, Latin American and Europe, he proved to be one of history's biggest counter-revolutionaries.

Guest Nubianpoet

U funny, Troy, lol!!! Thanks 4 sharing the 2 videos, I think! :rolleyes:

Ok, I plan 2 fight the pollen and see Tyler's 2 hour movie 2day & I will try 2 report back 2 YOU.

This is what I found in my box. I was suppose 2 win Tyler Tickets. I don't live in no BAMA! :(

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the Kiss Music test, we really appreciate you. To show our thanks, we’re putting you and guest on the list to attend the Neo Soul Lounge on Tuesday, April 13th at the M Lounge on 1st Avenue North Downtown Birmingham,featuring Ke Ke Wyatt, Urban Mystic, Jona Crooner, and Patty Tyler!

Admission for you is FREE, for being a loyal member of the Kiss Club, just RSVP via email to Chris@coxradio.com or call and ask for Chris (Chris) King, she will need your; name, email address, phone number, zip code and birth date, make sure RSVP no later than noon 4/13/2010.

Thanks again from everyone at Kiss FM!!!

"Love me some Urban Mystic, though. B)

Never cared much for Erykah's music. There's an ANNOYING a$s nasal tone to her voice I just can't get with. But to be a sista who got to be well into her 30's, Erykah's got a nice chuck of funk crawling up behind her. Make a brotha wanna rub on dat for good luck or something. ;)

Well after rubbing her "chunk of funk" like it's Aladin's lamp...just how good of luck do you think you would get?

Wow! I like the video and I do like Erykah's music but I'm not so sure about how this video was made. I have no problems with nudity or nice booties but I don't think this kind of thing was appropriate in an unrestricted public environment. And had any of you been there with your children, I'm sure they may be some levels of anxiety and consternation at her brazen stunt. As I said, I have no personal issues with nudity or the video but I don't think it was correct for an unsuspecting public audience.

(WTF?????

This comment is cogent. Legible. Logical.

OK BUDDY! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH XEON?

Well after rubbing her "chunk of funk" like it's Aladin's lamp...just how good of luck do you think you would get?

Well, if I were able to rub on Erykah bubblicious bootay, you gottah figure I probably already have most of the good luck a brotha needs.

Total publicity stunt.

She almost had me until I noticed that she conviently had on panties that barely covered her ass, and she pranced around to let her ass cheeks shake before she finally took them off. Total publicity stunt. She was trying to sell sex. Everytime someone mentions the video its about how great her ass looked & never about the message she was trying to send

Well, if I were able to rub on Erykah bubblicious bootay, you gottah figure I probably already have most of the good luck a brotha needs.

(BOOTAY! That's what I wanna see! Brothers and sisters letting their hair down--

After some thought on "L'Affaire Badu" I think it is a desperate ploy to regain some stature she had at the beginning of her career.

She too old for that.)